Shopping carts, courtesy or chicanery?

I confess, when it's raining I prefer plastic, but we do reuse them.

Usually I go for paper. The plastic bags are horrible. Sometimes that is all the store has. The plastic bags get thinner and thinner. Which makes it necessary to get stuff double bagged. Seems to me that defeats the purpose of making thin bags.

I go plastic if I forget my own bags but I do it. The people who bag like to put only 3-4 items in a plastic bag I stuff that all the way up. And we do reuse the plastic ones as well.

Yep. I had an American work mate stay with me for a while. Every morning we'd walk out to the car to drive to work and he'd climb into the drivers side, then he'd spot the steering wheel and say "Oh Geez, I think I'll start sitting in the back seat". He would try to do the same with cabs. By the time he got used to it, it was time to go home.

I'm surprised the auto correct spelling here on the forum is the spelling I'm used to color colour.
Karaukey if the american spelling bothers you just use your normal spelling and when you get the spell check pop-up select add your spelling to the dictionary. The first "word" I added to the spellcheck dictionary was UU.

Usually I go for paper. The plastic bags are horrible. Sometimes that is all the store has. The plastic bags get thinner and thinner. Which makes it necessary to get stuff double bagged. Seems to me that defeats the purpose of making thin bags.
Amen to that sister.

Last edited:
Where I live in CA they aren't allowed to use plastic bags anymore and only offer paper bags, but they charge you 10 cents per bag. I've used my own reusable shopping bags for years. They aren't allowed to use styrofoam food containers either. Now if the rest of the country would get on board...off my soapbox now.

You are a wicked man, Hoosierhiver!!!!

Paper or plastic?

Plastic - I have two dogs and the plastic bags are perfect to pick up "doggie deposits" in the yard, on walks, etc..

As far as cart corrals are concerned, many stores debated on whether to install them in parking lots. One factor for them was customer complaints of cars being damaged by carts left loose in parking lots and stores refusing liability. In many urban areas the grocery business is quite competitive, and it doesn't take much to alienate customers. So, cart corrals were believed to be a positive by the stores, giving the perception of reduced potential of car dings due to fewer stray carts.

Where I live in CA they aren't allowed to use plastic bags anymore and only offer paper bags, but they charge you 10 cents per bag. I've used my own reusable shopping bags for years. They aren't allowed to use styrofoam food containers either. Now if the rest of the country would get on board...off my soapbox now.

I think CA is going all no plastic bags by law.

My biggest problem is that if there aren't any plastic bags in grocery stores I would have to end up buying garbage bags to throw away. Most garbage bags are a lot heavier plastic than grocery bags so i don't see where the environment is saved much with there use instead. I do admit though that I get way more grocery bags than I can ever reuse.

My biggest problem is that if there aren't any plastic bags in grocery stores I would have to end up buying garbage bags to throw away.
No, you buy reusable bags and bring them back to the store when you shop. Many stores here offer reusable bags with their logo for $1.

No, you buy reusable bags and bring them back to the store when you shop. Many stores here offer reusable bags with their logo for $1.

Bob means he uses the grocery sacks for trash rather than buying hefty bags.

I am gobsmacked by the number of responses this thread has generated. I am a part time "parcel/courtesy clerk" for an extremely busy grocery store. I just turned 62. It's not just teenagers anymore. While I would prefer that customers return their carts to the corral, it doesn't bother me if they don't. What bothers me more is the garbage and grocery flyers that are left in the carts and parking lot.

Carts: yes, definitely, always always to the corral. I also return other carts that people have left in parking spaces. Once I yelled at a woman who left her cart in the middle of a row, but only once because she then tried to run me over. The only people who get a pass (in my book, anyway) are the ones with handicap plates/hang-tags. One time, some years ago, before cart corrals (I guess), my mother tried to return a cart to the store. The kid whose job it was to round up the carts told her not to do that anymore, because if everyone did that, he wouldn't have a job.

But it has a catchy jingle. Haven't you heard the jingle??

The Teabaggers also say it's written in the Bible. It must be in one of the long, boring parts I skipped, but if they say it's in there, it must be so.

....Hey what is a Teabagger.....?? I know of one definition but it won't be that one I am sure......and no I will not expand !!

I believe Oahu is going to follow the other islands and ban plastic bags any day now. I use re-usable bags when I shop, except at Walmart. Walmart has "good" plastic bags, which I use for rubbish bin liners in our house.

But it has a catchy jingle. Haven't you heard the jingle??

The Teabaggers also say it's written in the Bible. It must be in one of the long, boring parts I skipped, but if they say it's in there, it must be so.
I can get derrogatry political comments anywhere, I come here to get away for that crap.

Top Bottom