Shopping carts, courtesy or chicanery?

hoosierhiver

Reaction score
I'm curious, do you guys always return your shopping carts to the "cart corral" after loading your groceries in the car?

Personally I don't believe the "We are saving you money and keeping prices low by not having to hire teenagers to do this" line. I suspect it is just more profit for the store.

It depends on the weather and the condition of the parking lot. I try to be rule follower, but often times I have trouble doing so. -30 and icy parking lot? Probably going to just put it out of the way but not in the corral. Hello? Too cold for me to follow rules. I'm like that.

The only time I use a cart is when I shop at Costco and I try to park the car as close to the corral as possible. If I have to park a ways away, I still return my cart. I think it's the right thing to do.

Yes, I always put it back in the corral. I push it while my wife shops too. I guess I enjoy pushing it. It gives me a feeling of power!

I'm a cart man. Don't block the aisle! :eek:ld:

I usually push it on down to the buss stop, and just leave it there.

I put it in the cart corral, because there isn't a kid hired to keep them rounded up, and if you just leave it somewhere in the parking lot, someone can come along and hit it, or the wind can blow it into the side of other cars, or it ends up blocking a parking space. So yes, I secure it before I leave.

In the corral at minimum. I usually try to roll it all the way back to where I got it from in the first place.

Leaving carts strewn about the parking lot when there are orderly places for them seems... discourteous at best and destructively selfish at worst (as Rllink mentioned, loose carts damage cars)

I park in a Handicap slot. I usually return the cart to the queue in front of the store. If there are carts in the Handicapped parking area, there frequently are. I will take all the carts to the corral. When practical I unload the bags at the queue and hand carry the bags to the car.

I don't use carts. Hubby does the real shopping and I just pick up odds and ends on occasion.

I know it's the elephant in the room so here goes.

Is "chicanery" the correct word choice?

A store here makes you insert a .25 to get the cart from other carts. It forces you to return it to the corral to get your .25 back.

Sucks if you dont have a quarter on hand.....

Then I usually look for the free cart, someone left with their quarter in then I return it and already saved .25 before going into the store.

I also smashed one once in a fex ex truck. It was dark, a little snowy and I was going through a lot, right in the middle of the lane I heard smash, I stopped and said cart went flying across lot. Close to the corral it should have been in.

If it is a small store like a Dollar General or Family Dollar, I usually bring it back inside the store to the cart section. I used to have to work in underpaid/understaffed jobs. Now that I am lucky enough not to, I try to pay it forward.

When I use them, I put them in to corral, or bring them back to the store.

I get very loud, and foul mouthed, when I am trying to pull into a spot (especially the electric car plug-in spot, of which there are only 3) and find it full of shopping carts and the store's little electric scooters. I will leave my car across the driving lanes and move the %^&*% things, then go back to my car and pull in then plug in.

I use the same language when I want to pull in and plug in and an old rustbucket s#1+80x is sitting in the space clearly marked ELECTRIC CARS ONLY.

And actually, my grocery store employs people in the 20-50 age group to collect the carts, but they also have other jobs - bagging groceries, carry-out, and clean-up on aisle whatever.

-Kurt​

I would say I put them away most of the time. I also tend to select my cart from one in the parking lot on my way in to the store. At least that one won't have to be rounded up by anyone else.

I use the same language when I want to pull in and plug in and an old rustbucket s#1+80x is sitting in the space clearly marked ELECTRIC CARS ONLY.

-Kurt​
Just because it is an old rustbucket does not always mean it is not electric :D
article-0-16F383FF000005DC-175_634x519.jpg

When I use them, I put them in to corral, or bring them back to the store.

I get very loud, and foul mouthed, when I am trying to pull into a spot (especially the electric car plug-in spot, of which there are only 3) and find it full of shopping carts and the store's little electric scooters. I will leave my car across the driving lanes and move the %^&*% things, then go back to my car and pull in then plug in.

And actually, my grocery store employs people in the 20-50 age group to collect the carts, but they also have other jobs - bagging groceries, carry-out, and clean-up on aisle whatever.

-Kurt​
I didn't think people who drove electric cars had bad tempers.

Always. And I choose to park close to the furthest one in whatever row I'm in to get the extra steps. Bonus points.

Top Bottom