Finger pattern for this Europa intro?

CTurner

Reaction score
I have the Ohta Jr. music for this rendition and I can't quite figure out how he might be fingering this sequence:
Europa.jpg

I've been committing my thumb for 4th string, forefinger to 3rd string, thumb again for 2nd string, and middle finger for the 1st string. I'm not sure this is most efficient---I can't go very fast with it, though it can sound okay in context of the song.

I've also tried a sequential roll through pattern that just relies on doing a fast/all fingers technique, but I don't get the constancy of the first string which I think sounds neat.

Can anyone else tell me how they would approach this picking pattern?

Thanks.

I wrote out an answer at first on left hand fingering, but after re-reading the OP, I think you are asking about right hand technique.

I would use my thumb to pick strings 4, 3 and 2, and alternate index and middle finger on the 1st string.

I think there is a UU vid on that technique, I'll see if I can find it.

If I bungled the answer because I read the question incorrectly, sorry.

Yes, I am asking about right hand technique! :) I'll also check on UU.

Much thanks.

Sorry, Craig, couldn't find the vid I had in mind.

This is a similar roll to the one at the end of Jake's "While my Guitar Gently Weeps" though the timing is different. In that song, there are 9 notes per beat instead of 6.

While not absolutely smooth, It just has always made sense to me to alternate index and middle on the 1 string to get an even trill (don't know if that's the right word). The thumb can play rest strokes on the other strings.

Woot! Found it: Uke Minutes 82 - Flamenco Fingerpicking I

First and Second finger on first string, continuously.
Thumb picks, in this case, 4 then 3 then 2.

Aldrine on the video does different thumb sequence, but this is it!

Niwenomian, really appreciate the flag on UU videos! :cool:

Top Bottom