Plastic storage containers for ukulele storage

Recstar24

Reaction score
I am starting a new thread from my big one just to narrow on some specific storage ideas I have for my 30 classroom ukuleles. As of now, wall hangers are not feasible, and while my fellow band teacher has agreed to build us a tiered rack, my music boosters don't want his time to be too taxed by building it. It's a pretty longish room so I also need to look at humidity as it will get very dry in the winter.

Currently I just have the ukes in their original cardboard boxes, which after a few days of hundreds of kids using them, will probably break down real soon.

My idea is store each uke in plastic containers with lids, they can be stacked on a table in the corner, and I should be able to pop in a DIY humidifier in each one. I'm having some difficulty finding the right sized container - the underbed storage types are the closest I've found.

If anyone has ideas or has used something like a plastic container to hold their ukulele, please let me know.

Edit: I should add the 30 ukes are all concert mainland mahoganies.

Last edited:
You could line the plastic boxes with felt or something soft.

I'll just offer this info and you do what you will: I used to store yarn and Christmas decorations in those Rubbermaid plastic containers. After awhile, my decorations and yarn began to have a funny smell. I think something was leaching from the plastic. The Christmas deco boxes were in a room that sometimes got warmish from the sun, but the yarn was stored in a cool closet.

Just FYI . . .

Since they will be laminates, humidity will not be an issue.

try looking at the storage containers intended to shove under a bed.

They might be deep enough at 27 1/8. maybe lay them at an angle in the drawer. If you have the funds and an IKEA near you take one of the ukes and try it.

They might be deep enough at 27 1/8. maybe lay them at an angle in the drawer. If you have the funds and an IKEA near you take one of the ukes and try it.

Unless I'm reading it wrong, 27 1/8 is the height of the whole stack, the depth is only like 16. Even with a width of 11, that's not enough clearance for a 24" long concert to squeeze in diagonally.

Mainlands are solid wood, no? These are the mahogany concerts.

Oooooh, I guess I missed that part, sorry :eek:ld:. Fantastic "starter ukes." Good luck with the humidity issues. Not sure about airtight plastic containers with humidifiers in them. I'd want to be sure that would not cause a "mold" issue.

Oooooh, I guess I missed that part, sorry :eek:ld:. Fantastic "starter ukes." Good luck with the humidity issues. Not sure about airtight plastic containers with humidifiers in them. I'd want to be sure that would not cause a "mold" issue.

No worries! Oh and as soon as I posted that, the mold issue did come to mind. I would probably not risk it, and at minimum, at least the ukes are in a sealed case so hopefully will be less prone to humidity related issues.

If the ukes are staying in the classroom, then I would suggest the tiered rack with a cover over it. This could be a plywood box, or even just a tarp or some clear plastic, and you could have a hydrometer to measure the humidity, and a larger DIY humidity device(s). If it in the budget, in the long haul it will be a better system that will last for years, and be easier to maintain. Keeping 30 individual ukes humidified with individual devices will be very time consuming and require that it is attended to regularly ( I have a lot of ukes, so I know how time consuming it is). There may be seasons when it is too moist, and you would be able to monitor that easily with such a system. I started noticing a bit of white dusty something on a few ukes I have stored in their gig bags, with a plastic bag around the outside. Glad I caught the problem before it could do any damage. Mainland ukes are solid wood, so it is a good idea to store them with humidity control.

Congrats on your Uke Program. Sounds really good! If you need straps, I can give you a deal.

–Lori

Last edited:
I store two Vietnam ukuleles in an underbed storage box from sterilite like these. http://www.walmart.com/ip/20699679?...43896112&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78307129352&veh=sem Note that price is for a 4-pack.

I store one tenor and one concert together in one case with enough room to stick in an old harmony soprano that is in two pieces. I use mildew resistant sponges cut in half in open sandwich bags inside the case but I do not lock the lid. I keep the lid open a good inch or so on the sides. Pretty sure I learned about this on these forums.

This storage is great for an adult who has the room to put this somewhere it isn't getting jostled around.

It does not protect the ukes in any way from bumping each other or being thrown around inside the case.

After my experience with my two drying ukes that now live in a plastic box I bought a Kala KA-SEM laminate and the only thing I need to worry about is oiling the fretboard here and there. I would have never bought solid wood instruments for students in a school that doesn't have humidity controlled rooms, there are just too many great inexpensive laminate options out there today. Hindsight eh?

Good luck with the program.

I think this whole experience will be good for the kids. How to play, how to take care of them....

I am sure the boxes will work for quite a while if you let the kids know your expectations. Is it ideal? No. But they have been given a lovely gift and they need to learn to care for them.

You'll find something.

D
I think this whole experience will be good for the kids. How to play, how to take care of them....

I am sure the boxes will work for quite a while if you let the kids know your expectations. Is it ideal? No. But they have been given a lovely gift and they need to learn to care for them.

You'll find something.

Thanks! I agree, the boxes are just fine and we will eventually find something more "elegant"

IIRC your original post about the uke club mentioned funds available for wall hooks and you are dealing with Jr HS students. Consider making individual uke cases. A handle suitable for the wall hooks could be incorporated into the design

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msxeu4hkDlE&sns=em

Only one design would be required. I am sure the HS or JrHS shop teacher could be prevailed upon to provide a design. The shop students could be given a project dealing with interchangable parts to make and perhaps assemble the components. The Uke Club Parents or the Band Boosters or Varsity Moms could be solicited for funds for the materials.

This shouldn't be too expensive and sounds like a win-win situation all the way around.

http://m.sterilite.com/mobile.html?id=698&ProductCategory=260&section=1

How do those look? Perfect length to fit a concert perfectly, enough width to fit two ukes side by side in each one with maybe a piece of foam in between to prevent them from knocking into each other, and space to put a UITC book with a tuner. Stackable, and does not seal air tight so a DIY humidifier won't cause mold issues inside.

This uke has been stored in this cardboard case for 5 years, decorated with some painter's tape. It is fine.Case_Tape.JPG

Top Bottom