String Comparisons

jgarber

Reaction score
Please forgive me for starting a new thread but I find it very hard to search for what I am looking for. If you like you can direct me to an existing thread that has this info.

I have been away from playing uke for a number of years, concentrating on other instruments. I recently restrung my vintage koa Martin soprano with regular Aquila Nylgut strings, let them settle in and have been playing it for a few weeks. I realize that I just don't like the tone on this particular instrument and would like it to be brighter and less mellow. The last strings that were on it were LaBella Senoritas BION.

I am primarily looking for a sweet and clear tone which I know that this uke has.

It seems that people either use Aquila or Worth strings. Aquila has four(?) different compositions: Nylgut, SuperNylgut, Red Series and BioNylgut. Can anyone give me a clue to the difference sin tones between those.

I am also interested in how they compare to the various Worth strings: brown and clear.

I also came across the new LaBella string, the Uke-Pro 200. How does that compare to the above?

Thanks in advance... Jim

Hi & welcome to UU,

On a Martin you just can't go wrong with Martin M600 strings. They're clear fluorocarbon and hold tune very well once they settle. To my ear they sound less bright than Worth Clear strings. Worth Brown strings will sound a little warmer than the Martins.

String choice is very subjective. Only you have your ears. Chasing down the right strings can be fun or exhausting. But strings aren't very expensive. It does take time as you should take the time to let them settle before your final verdict. Some strings you just know aren't right from the beginning and you can swap them out quickly. Most won't give you their honest voice for a week or two.

Here's a spreadsheet link if you want to geek out on tech:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?97395-Ukulele-String-Comparisons-Spreadsheet

Have fun.

Last edited:
I have had a very happy result with Living Water Strings. Many here favor Southeast (another geek out opportunity).

I am primarily looking for a sweet and clear tone which I know that this uke has.

It seems that people either use Aquila or Worth strings.

I don't use either, because I've found neither has the sweet and clear tone that I'm looking for - the Aquilas I've tried sound a bit harsh (and feel like rubber bands to me!) and the Worths I've tried lack the depth that I want in addition to the bell-like clear tone. I didn't care for the LaBellas either, or any of the D'Addarios I've tried on my koa ukes (although their Nyltechs were great on a mahogany uke I once had).

My go-to strings on my koa ukes have been Martin Fluorocarbons for years. I'm guessing they would be awesome on your vintage Martin!

There are so many choices these days, and it's all very subjective. I can tell you how much I like a particular string but you may not care for it. Try a few out and see what you think works best for you. I prefer fluorocarbon strings, and generally use Fremont black lines or Savarez, but have recently tried Southcoast (mediums) and do like them as well. Happy hunting.

I don't use either, because I've found neither has the sweet and clear tone that I'm looking for - the Aquilas I've tried sound a bit harsh (and feel like rubber bands to me!) and the Worths I've tried lack the depth that I want in addition to the bell-like clear tone. I didn't care for the LaBellas either, or any of the D'Addarios I've tried on my koa ukes (although their Nyltechs were great on a mahogany uke I once had).

My go-to strings on my koa ukes have been Martin Fluorocarbons for years. I'm guessing they would be awesome on your vintage Martin!

On the other hand, many folks here get extremely clear and sweet tones out of these strings, depending on the uke.

Top Bottom