lava in Pahoa

Chuck, You and your neighbors have our hopes and prayers that the impact of the lava flows is minimal. Some friends and I have started on a one thousand crane project for you'all. When things cool down try some pumice stone and sand sanding blocks. Good Luck!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thousand_origami_cranes

Last edited:
I saw photos of the cemetery. So sorry to hear it is inching closer.

Prayers heading to Pahoa

Chuck - it's good to see you here. At least we know you are OK for now. Please take care.

good thing you are well stocked Chuck. Hopefully life become "normal" sooner rather than later

We are personally outside of the flows path. For now at least. The biggest threat to us at the moment is smoke and if ever we do leave that will be the reason why. We have spent months preparing for this event so that we won't have to depend on outside resources much. The Big Island is constantly changing. Lava flows are not new and despite what the media and others might lead you to believe these are not the end times. Locals and long time residents are not as freaked out as the newcomers who neglected to read their real estate contacts verifying that they live in a lava flow zone! Embracing Madame Pele's erratic and awesome nature is necessary for living here This is how these islands were formed and this geologic evolution will continue long after we are gone. In fact, if you are around 100,000 years from now you can visit Lo'ihi, our newest island in the chain being formed right now just off our Southern coast.
I was in town yesterday, visiting our post office for the last time before they are forced to close. I stood in line for 1 1/2 hours while people did their last minute business. We are all saying goodbye to our favorite haunts and our friends who work in town that will be forced to evacuate. I don't plan on going back into Pahoa (6 miles from me) for a few weeks until things quiet a bit as it has turned into a circus of media and bug eyed tourists who want to get up close to the action. For those who are interested in updates I find http://www.bigislandvideonews.com to be informative. If you do Facebook check out Mileka Lincoln. She's a Honolulu reporter that has up to the minute reports. The lava is only yards away from the first neighborhood at the moment and it should be claiming some homes today. It's a very sad situation for those who are immediately affected.

Last edited:
Be safe!!!

The lava flow made the TV News in New Zealand the other night, that's the first time that I have noticed it being mentioned. Living next to an inert volcano I can empathise with the people affected. I wish all concerned well.

It is a small world

We are personally outside of the flows path. For now at least. The biggest threat to us at the moment is smoke and if ever we do leave that will be the reason why. We have spent months preparing for this event so that we won't have to depend on outside resources much. The Big Island is constantly changing. Lava flows are not new and despite what the media and others might lead you to believe these are not the end times. Locals and long time residents are not as freaked out as the newcomers who neglected to read their real estate contacts verifying that they live in a lava flow zone! Embracing Madame Pele's erratic and awesome nature is necessary for living here This is how these islands were formed and this geologic evolution will continue long after we are gone. In fact, if you are around 100,000 years from now you can visit Lo'ihi, our newest island in the chain being formed right now just off our Southern coast.
I was in town yesterday, visiting our post office for the last time before they are forced to close. I stood in line for 1 1/2 hours while people did their last minute business. We are all saying goodbye to our favorite haunts and our friends who work in town that will be forced to evacuate. I don't plan on going back into Pahoa (6 miles from me) for a few weeks until things quiet a bit as it has turned into a circus of media and bug eyed tourists who want to get up close to the action. For those who are interested in updates I find http://www.bigislandvideonews.com to be informative. If you do Facebook check out Mileka Lincoln. She's a Honolulu reporter that has up to the minute reports. The lava is only yards away from the first neighborhood at the moment and it should be claiming some homes today. It's a very sad situation for those who are immediately affected.

I checked out the link you posted in part because I knew that the daughter of a friend of mine had a house in the vicinity. Turns out that they (Jeremy and Rebecca) have what is apparently the poster house for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. The couple being interviewed by Civil Defense includes my friend's daughter.

All the best to those in the path of Mauna Loa...:shaka:

or Kilauea, I guess it is, I looked for the volcano in articles and couldn't find anything, so looking at google map, it looked like Mauna Loa was closest to Pahoa...

Last edited:
a one thousand crane project

Yeah, that'll do it.

I'm going to help out by being the one tourist that doesn't go within 100 miles of Pahoa when I get there on Sunday.

Yeah, that'll do it.

I'm going to help out by being the one tourist that doesn't go within 100 miles of Pahoa when I get there on Sunday.

Wow, where did the time fly? Seems like it was forever ago you posted you were going.
Have a fun trip. Sorry the lava flow affects your trip.

Hoping Chuck and Bonnie don't get smoked out.

We are personally outside of the flows path. For now at least. The biggest threat to us at the moment is smoke...We have spent months preparing for this event so that we won't have to depend on outside resources much. The Big Island is constantly changing. ... Embracing Madame Pele's erratic and awesome nature is necessary for living here ...
Living so close to an active volcano do you and your neighbors habitually have gas masks and such-like available? We don't have vulcanism where I live. We are subject to virulent storms, flooding and power outages. We have alternative cooking lighting and water contingencies in my home. Smoke detector and a fire extinguisher or two. I guess anyone's home is a paradise. But it always seems the serpents lurk in paradise.

Living so close to an active volcano do you and your neighbors habitually have gas masks and such-like available? We don't have vulcanism where I live. We are subject to virulent storms, flooding and power outages. We have alternative cooking lighting and water contingencies in my home. Smoke detector and a fire extinguisher or two. I guess anyone's home is a paradise. But it always seems the serpents lurk in paradise.

Yes, may people have bought gas masks and have sealed rooms with expensive filters where they can go if the smoke gets too bad. It's not the vegetation burning that's as bad as all the other junk it burns in it's way like asphalt, piles of old tires or batteries and solvents and such. Unfortunately the trade winds have been almost non existent lately and anyone within 20 miles of the flow front is getting a lung full of noxious smoke.

Top Bottom