Ukulele-related dreams/goals?

My current ukulele dreams are to someday be able to play:

1. "Pirates" by Emerson Lake & Palmer

2. "Peaches en Regallia" by Zappa

3. anything at all by the Dixie Dregs

"Peaches and Regalia" I like that idea.

@RedeyeJedi: Just buying the uke improved my standing with the ladies at the campsight. It wasn't my dashing good looks, that's for sure.

@Nickie: Two things to help with stage fright: 1. Try to become comfortable with the notion of making a fool of yourself on stage. 2. Stage fright is just adrenaline. Work at channeling it into your fingers not your head. I think the audiences in the open mikes are so appreciative has to do with the fact that they aren't musicians and don't know any better or they are musicians and have been there so often themselves that they empathize.

My 89 year old mother is starting to decline in health both physically and mentally. I am learning songs from her era so that when she is nonverbal, we can still communicate through music.

Wow. That's an amazing idea. Good on ya.

My goal is to improve as a player. I also want to try busking. I used to perform, but that was indoors and people were there to see music. I've never had the nerve to expose myself to the elements and random people on the street.

Only cure for that is to keep playing live. :p

Another cure for stage fright is beta blockers. After I had a heart attack, I had to start taking beta blockers, which inhibit the body's production of adrenaline. When I got back to playing in front of audiences, I found I had less problem with stage fright then before. I thought this was some big accomplishment on my part in being a musician. Then I realized that the real reason I'd overcome the stage fright was that I was now medicated to prevent anxiety.

Love to find another old fart that loves ukes and would want to be my "uke buddy." A bit optimistic, but would like to find several and start a regular geriatric string band.

There must be somebody in the area Phil. I met Dave my good friend and uke buddy right here on UU. Having a uke buddy helps make this crazy journey more enjoyable.

Well, I'd like to find time to play everyday so I can learn the chords.

I'd like to take a few lessons from a local teacher if I find more time.

I want to learn to finger pick so I can play classical music on my uke(s).

I want to learn to play Christmas music so I can relax and enjoy myself this Christmas.

I want to be good enough to play my uke at church for the kids to sing with for VBS in July.

I'd like to one day play an offertory at church on the uke.

My main goal right now is to live to finish this year of seminary and graduate on May 16, 2015!

My most immediate goal is to get off of this computer and study for my Greek exam tomorrow night. Not looking good right now . . .

Another cure for stage fright is beta blockers. After I had a heart attack, I had to start taking beta blockers, which inhibit the body's production of adrenaline. When I got back to playing in front of audiences, I found I had less problem with stage fright then before. I thought this was some big accomplishment on my part in being a musician. Then I realized that the real reason I'd overcome the stage fright was that I was now medicated to prevent anxiety.

I had a music teacher (french horn player) that talked about that - it was studied in horn playing journals and he said it helped a lot for major horn solos in symphonies.

"If it wasn't for real bad health, I wouldn't have no health at all" I require lots of medications. I wish I didn't but there you have it. I am on at least two betablockers at present one has deleterious effects on my liver and kidneys. The other doesn't. There are better ways to deal with stage fright than messing up your liver.

I once had a dream where Kathy Griffin was a mermaid playing ukulele in the middle of IKEA. She showed me a snow globe of a llama visiting the Lincoln Memorial.

I have goals as a dealer, and goals as a player:

As a player, it has changed somewhat, but I want to have memorized a good solid 10 song set in multiple musical interests for different performance locations and places.
What I play locally at Dogtown (a local bar) is way different from what I play locally at the Country Store (a historically Bluegrass/Folk/Country location).
What I play for my annual gig for the Senior Citizens Association meeting is WAY different from what I play at Ukulele World Congress! (No Eminem for the Senior Citizens)
So, the hope it to have about 40-50 songs memorized eventually and be able to pull a set out at any time at any moments notice.
But that has changed recently, before I just wanted to play more. Now, I realize I need to buckle down and memorize if I want people to ask me to play for things.
The funny thing is, it is a lot of work for gigs where I get paid nothing or pot-luck lunch, but it really it just for fun and my own personal goals and enjoyment.

As a dealer I had been simply wanting to offer Kamakas for forever. From when I started. Met that goal this year. So, now the goal is to make my website awesome.
Doing little bits at a time because websites and graphics are not my forte! :)

I had a flute player tell me this, also. I have horrible stage fright. How does one to about getting them? I asked my doctor for some and was told no.

My ultimate goal is to play in public, and I have actually set a time and place. I will be playing Puerto Rican Plena at the San Sebastian Festival on January 15th, 16th, and the 17th. Our condo is on San Sebastian, and our neighbor is a drummer. He hauls his drums out in the street for the festival, and friends, relatives, and whoever else wants to join in, sing and play Plena music all evening for people passing by. Last year he drew such big crowds that the street was blocked with people. His brother-in-law plays the guitar and has given me the chords, so I'm getting ready for that. Last year I played a drum. I'll hopefully go rogue as well and belt out some 60s, 70s, and 80s rock and roll in between, we will see how much liquid courage I am able to muster.

As far as my overall ukulele playing is concerned, I play every day, and every day I just want to get a little better. Poco a poco, as they say here, little by little. I think that is the key to success. Stay the course, practice, and just let it grow. Enjoy the journey. I am not the type to hurry things. I have the rest of my life to learn how to play the ukulele, and I intend to do just that.

I had a flute player tell me this, also. I have horrible stage fright. How does one to about getting them? I asked my doctor for some and was told no.
Rum and Coke will do the same thing, and you don't need a prescription. :)

Yeah, law school can sometimes be quite exhausting. Ukulele really helps to balance it out!

And I agree, Actadh, what you're doing is really sweet!

I wish I had played the uke when I was in law school! ;)

I just want to learn enough music theory and the fretboard well enough to improvise solo.

My ultimate goal is to play in public, and I have actually set a time and place. I will be playing Puerto Rican Plena at the San Sebastian Festival on January 15th, 16th, and the 17th. Our condo is on San Sebastian, and our neighbor is a drummer. He hauls his drums out in the street for the festival, and friends, relatives, and whoever else wants to join in, sing and play Plena music all evening for people passing by. Last year he drew such big crowds that the street was blocked with people. His brother-in-law plays the guitar and has given me the chords, so I'm getting ready for that. Last year I played a drum. I'll hopefully go rogue as well and belt out some 60s, 70s, and 80s rock and roll in between, we will see how much liquid courage I am able to muster.

This sounds amazing. With that kind of vibe, and feeling, and the energy and music you're going to be transmitting to the people. Have someone shoot a short video from above if you can. I'd like to see it.

Top Bottom