My first Tenor, what's your impression of these models?

b_rad

Reaction score
I am in the market for a Tenor. I play guitar and understand "you get what you pay for" and if it sounds good and plays well ...you know the rest. I really don't have any idea what I am doing.

Went over to a friends and she was given a Gretsch 9120. I picked it up and couldn't put it down. Now I get the attraction and gotta have one. I'm Hooked!!!

Like just about everyone, I have this friend that knows a lot about everything and although he doesn't own a ukulele he came up with a few models that he said that I should consider based on someone he knows.
Gretsch 9120
Kala SMHT
Oscar Schmidt OUUM200K
Or suggest something better!

I was leaning towards the Kala SMHT but am in no hurry. I do not live close to a place that sell Ukulele's other than El-cheapo's so I am desperate and need guidance. My budget with a hard-shell case is $350. I always prefer solid wood.

I'm know you see this sort of post all the time but I've become pretty decent(after 45 years) playing guitar and need something new to play with AND I practice a couple hours a day. So your not wasting your time.

Last edited:
there are so many decent instruments at this pricepoint. and new ones coming all the time. The only brand you mentioned I have any experience with is the Kala. you really can't go wrong with it. A few newer offerings are the import lines that Koaloha and Kanilea are offering. I have one of the laminate [Islander AT-4} that Kanilea is offering, and for the price it is a Very nice sounding uke. They also offer a some solid models [MST-4] If you can't try before you buy, I suggest buying from someone that checks them out and sets them up before shipping. HMS and Mimm come to mind. You may also want to check out Mainland, all 3 are members here . You may want to contact one or all of them and see what they suggest.

Last edited:
Welcome to the addiction. I'd add to your list both Pono and Cordoba. Cordoba's have a pretty roomy fretboard that may particularly appeal to you since play guitar. Regardless, in your price range it's a good idea to buy from a dealer that does setup work. There are great instruments in that price range but there can also be a lot of quality variability within the same model.

Let us know what you pick!

At this point you don't know squat about ukulele. Don't worry that will change. I haven't played any of the listed brands. That being said all the listed tone woods are excellent. You don't need such a fine quality tone wood starting out. Spruce and mahogany are good as well as affordable in your price range. Red Cedar is supposed to have better sound qualities than Spruce.

Option 1. Go to your local music store(s). You know them, they know you. They should have a competent luthier repair person. They can also order ukes at a better price than you can. Don't be worried about the brand name. Noodle around on all their tenors. Pick two or three that sound good to your ears. Check the prices. The average price should be your price point. I recently did this and found three instruments that sounded good and were within $20 of each other. Competent in store set-up should it be necessary costs about $40.
Leave the store and get on the internet. Price shop the ukes your ear likes. Many stores will match best price. If you are comparing list price from a manufacturer you should be able to purchase a uke for ~ 60% of that. A "hard shell" case -usually just padded. Can be had for $40 - $80. Lanikai has a padded tenor case that accommodates a humidifier, for about $44. After youv'e done your homework go back to the music store play your ukes of choice. If your ears are still happy negotiate.

Option 2: Buy online. Surf the net see what's out there. Make sure your dealing with a reputable outfit. The biggest disadvantage of this method is you can't hear what your getting. At your price point I suggest looking at Mainland Ukuleles. Excellent reputation. Ukes are set-up at the factory. They have a wide variety of tone woods available at or below your price point. You may shave some pennies off your cost by buying from one of their distributors. Shipping is generally free for orders of ~$250.

My next uke is going to be a Mainland red cedar soprano. I have a MArtin Tenor mahogany and a Lanikai koa concert. BTW I am new to the uke as well but have been playing music for 35 years.

Last word: Don't necessarily discount laminated construction. Your ear may not notice the difference, and laminates are more environmentally friendly than solid construction in harsh climates. Welcome to UU.

Last edited:
I'm a guitar player and all of my ukes are tenor cutaways (hooked on that look). I have a Gretsch G9121 A.C.E. with electronics, solid top, laminate body that sounds very good, about $220 US. I also have a Kala KAATP-CTG-CE solid cedar top, acacia koa laminate body, electronics, that sounds especially good, which Mim recommended, about $360. Neither came with a case.

Gretsch G9121 A.C.E.jpg

Kala KAATP-CTG-CE 2.jpg

Last edited:
At this point you don't know squat about ukulele.

I am new to the uke as well but have been playing music for 35 years.

Considering that the OP has been playing guitar for 45 years, I'd like to think that renders your opening statement invalid.

At this price point, just treat it like a small nylon strung guitar, and buy the one that makes your underwear tingle.

My first uke was a Fender NoHea, and despite it being far from the best uke on the market, the combination of abalone purfling, (laminate) koa top, bound fingerboard and Telecaster headstock made me want to pick it up and play it all the time. In fact, I'd often just hold it whilst on the computer, just to be touching it. It cost me $200 (I was in NY at the time) and it's still my favourite uke, despite owning a $1000 Kanile'a.

You can do all the research that you want, and you can compare figures and features and materials and costs and stats, and you can pat yourself on the back because you know on a purely intellectual level that you have "the best" uke, but if it doesn't turn you on, it's just a bunch of firewood and glue.

Welcome to the addiction. I'd add to your list both Pono and Cordoba. Cordoba's have a pretty roomy fretboard that may particularly appeal to you since play guitar. Regardless, in your price range it's a good idea to buy from a dealer that does setup work. There are great instruments in that price range but there can also be a lot of quality variability within the same model.

Let us know what you pick!

Out of the three, I would choose the Kala since it's all solid wood.

And I recommend Cordoba's as well. The mahogany is at your price point and it comes with a great case: http://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/brand/cordoba/30-series-electrics.html?dir=asc&order=price

Also, one of my favorite brands are Ohana's which very well meet your price point: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40|R40|R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=mim+ohana&_sop=16

Last edited:
You can do all the research that you want, and you can compare figures and features and materials and costs and stats, and you can pat yourself on the back because you know on a purely intellectual level that you have "the best" uke, but if it doesn't turn you on, it's just a bunch of firewood and glue.

I agree with this. I am in the same position as the OP although i haven't been playing as long being 35 years old. I find you have to start again. You know how long it took get the guitar that turns you on? You have to go through the same process with the ukulele... in all sizes.

I opted for a Mahalo U320T. Just to try the tenor size. I'm still researching but it pleases me and i'm not splashing out, losing as i sell then potluck re buying.

Availability is what makes the right ukulele so hard to pin down when shopping. I'll play my Mahalo till i find the one that ticks the boxes preferably playing in person. The tenor size really suits me. If i had to have one ukulele it would be a tenor, this changed very recently.

My opinions:

Gretch - Excellent, very playable instrument with nice, consistent sound. The rather square, heavy neck is a deal-breaker for me. Otherwise, these things are great ukuleles. (I have played about a dozen of these in-store)

Kala - They look great. They play and sound fine (not bad, but not great). Intonation is consistently bad. (I have played over fifty and owned four Kalas)

Oscar Schmidt - A little tricky. If you get to play it before purchase, and you like it, an Oscar Schmidt is a top-notch instrument, not simply a good value. I've owned four, played dozens in-store and seen only one problematic one. You wouldn't want that one, for sure, but Oscar does have as good a warrantee as any of them.

You will find some people call some or all of these choices over-built. Maybe. None of them is a lightly built instrument.

With your budget, a Pono might be within reach. They are made of all solid woods and compare very well towards the higher end. A great place to buy online is Hawaii Music Supply, and they're really close to the Pono warehouse.

As someone who also started on guitar before I started playing ukulele, I really think you should look at Pono. My Pono is an excellent instrument, and in my opinion looks, feels, sounds and plays like an instrument costing much more. It is all solid wood, koa no less (sadly no longer available), and really is better than quite a few ukuleles I have played that cost a lot more.

If your budget is strictly 350 then a cheap solid wood option would be Alulu ukuleles on ebay by Taisamlu. I personalu ony ever had good experiences with him and there have been many other positive reviews too. With that being said, it's not the perfect instrument worth 600+ BUT n my opinion, if you snag a solid for less than 200 (also comes with a free hard case), then you've got yourself a good deal.

If you do take this route, be sure to change strings after you get it. Stock strings are always horrible

As you can tell by the reccommendations you are in the perfect price range ( for the good instrument but not a crazy over the top price).

Out of the three you mentions I'd go gretsch they have a long warranty and you played one and liked it. I am not a huge fan of kala but that is just me. And OS never liked them but that isjust an opinion.

This forum loves mainland and pono for a reason and I would highly recommend pono (I owe one). The fender that was previously mentioned before is FANTASTIC that ukulele I will never put down its the pride and joy of my fleet sounds the sweetest, and looks nice too (esp if you come from a guitar background).

Top Bottom