Islander Solid Concert - MSC-4, Pono AC All Solid Acacia

philrab66

Reaction score
Hi all
Has anybody got both of these or tried both. If you had to pick one which would it be?

Based on my experience, the Pono.
I have not tried both of these exact models, but the Ponos I have played (especially the one I own) are very high quality and play well and sound great. The Islanders I have played are nice enough, but I have not seen one that I thought was all that special. There is a local musician that we see regularly who recently got an Islander ukulele and has used it at a couple of gigs. I am not really a fan of the sound - It's hard to explain, it's just - plain I guess is how I would describe it.

I really like Joe Souza and Kanilea products, and I really want to like the Islanders, but I have just not been wowed by any of them yet. I find them to be similar to other import brands like Kala and Ohana. The Ponos I find to be typically better than those.

That is just my opinion, the best advice it to try them for yourself.

I really like the solid Islanders. They aren't all that pretty looking, very basic. But they play really well. Beware they have a 1.5 inch nut which you may or may not like.

Pono ALL THE WAY.

I have both an islander (soprano) and Pono (tenor), which means no actual experience with concert size, but here's my 2 cents:

- The neck profiles are very different. Pono is narrower and deeper, islander wider and shallower. Both are quite comfortable, but I love the feel of the islander neck - YMMV.

- On my Pono, it took a while for me to get the strings right - I don't know what the concerts are like, but my tenor comes alive with higher tension strings. I'd do a little research to see if that is a sound you like.

- the islanders that I've tried have sounded decent to me - the main impression I've come away with is that I really like how they feel.

I'll add that I have owned both the Pono and the Islander concert but only the laminated Islander. I did not like the Pono concert - the neck was too thick and the uke was overbuilt. The sound was dead. However, the friend I sold it too loves it - so to each their own. That's why for me if those were my only two choices it would be the Islander.

As you can see this is really a personal preference thing. There is no clear objective answer.

Based on my experience, the Pono.
I have not tried both of these exact models, but the Ponos I have played (especially the one I own) are very high quality and play well and sound great. The Islanders I have played are nice enough, but I have not seen one that I thought was all that special. There is a local musician that we see regularly who recently got an Islander ukulele and has used it at a couple of gigs. I am not really a fan of the sound - It's hard to explain, it's just - plain I guess is how I would describe it.

I really like Joe Souza and Kanilea products, and I really want to like the Islanders, but I have just not been wowed by any of them yet. I find them to be similar to other import brands like Kala and Ohana. The Ponos I find to be typically better than those.

That is just my opinion, the best advice it to try them for yourself.

I feel the same way. The Ponos compare very well towards the higher end, whereas the Islanders are pretty similar to other brands manufactured in China (not that this is a bad thing). Strings may be a factor, and you might want to change them on either one, if you don't like the particular sound. The Pono Concert I had sounded really good with Worth strings.

I'll add that I have owned both the Pono and the Islander concert but only the laminated Islander. I did not like the Pono concert - the neck was too thick and the uke was overbuilt. The sound was dead. However, the friend I sold it too loves it - so to each their own. That's why for me if those were my only two choices it would be the Islander.

As you can see this is really a personal preference thing. There is no clear objective answer.

Thanks very much everybody for your input. I did not know about the necks. I do prefer a shallower neck I have a Bruko Concert and that is thick. I just wished I lived near a store that held them both it is very frustrating.

Top Bottom