Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Voice Range

Default Voice Range

I bought "Singing Exercises for Dummies," and I've been reading it and doing some of the exercises.

It's been a good experience. My bottom note was a low G, and I could hit a weak F. Now my low F is strong. My top note was an okay C, and, now I'm up to pretty good D. So I'm mostly satisfied, and there's lots of other stuff I want to learn in the book.

Let there be singing!
    Last edited by Down Up Dick; 10-30-2014 at 06:35 AM.
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBD
    Kala tenor eight string - gG cC EE AA
    Gold Tone tenor banjolele - Hi-D GBD

Luna "Peace" concert - Lo-G CEA
    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-G CEA

Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B
    Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano (Dad's Day gift) - C
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift - C

Eat, drink and make merry for tomorrow you値l be too old.

God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

great to hear of your success with the book. How much of the book have you been through and did you use the cd? How long have you used the book for?
    Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/BuddyJesusSmokes
    http://www.reverbnation.com/musician/ohmless
    Ukulele start date: November 1st, 2013
    Cordoba 15CM concert uke
    Soprano Mickey Mouse uke
    Soprano Risa Stick uke

Quote Originally Posted by ohmless View Post
    great to hear of your success with the book. How much of the book have you been through and did you use the cd? How long have you used the book for?
    I just picked out three or four chapters to read right away. Mostly the ones about range. I'll read more now and again.

I've had the book a coupla weeks I guess, but I'm doing other things too. And yes I have used the CD and found it useful. As with everything else I do, I'm self taught, and I needed help to improve my singing voice.

I prefer singing with my Ukes to fingerpicking, but I'm doing both.

My voice has really improved over this last year just from singing a lot. I do most of the singing with my practice partner as she is not too comfortable singing and sometimes I just play songs and sing for her as she claims to like my voice. Anyway I sang a phrase the other day through an amp and I was surprised at how good it sounded. At that moment my friend said, I had no idea you could sing so well. I didn't let on that it was a bit of a fluke. I think I'd benefit greatly from some voice lessons.

Hi, Icelander, a male singer from a nearby college told me that just singing a lot might increase my range. I haven't been singing much lately though. I'm working on Clawhammer and still trying to get really comfortable with tabs. When I play songs, I usually whistle.

Learning new stuff in our golden years is really a battle, but it's supposed to be good for us.
    Last edited by Down Up Dick; 04-29-2015 at 03:29 PM.

Yeah, I find it tough also. Fortunately I was heavily into music most of my life as a listener. I would sing the songs and the lyrics and tune would stay stuck in my head over the years. But I have a hell of a time with memorization at this stage so I've learned to read fast off the page. Mostly just strum and sing. Not much of a picker at this point but I have a ton of songs I can play fairly smoothly off the page and I always sing. I like to sing. In fact sometimes I think I took up the uke so I could have a good excuse to sing.

Quote Originally Posted by Icelander53 View Post
    Yeah, I find it tough also. Fortunately I was heavily into music most of my life as a listener. I would sing the songs and the lyrics and tune would stay stuck in my head over the years. But I have a hell of a time with memorization at this stage so I've learned to read fast off the page. Mostly just strum and sing. Not much of a picker at this point but I have a ton of songs I can play fairly smoothly off the page and I always sing. I like to sing. In fact sometimes I think I took up the uke so I could have a good excuse to sing.
    I actually did that, Icelander, I already had a Uke hanging on the wall as an ornament. Then, one day, I decided that I missed singing so I took it down and had at it. I've told the full story elsewhere on the forum, so I won't repeat it now.

Since I'm an English Major and like poetry a lot, singing fits right into my music hobby.

Hey! English major here also. I've always loved music. Played various band instruments (not well). For me, also, the uke was a perfect excuse to sing songs that I have enjoyed throughout the many decades of my life and continue exploring new music. I don't sing well, but I think I'm a little above God-awful and I certainly enjoy it. I don't think I'll ever be a real picker, though I am working on a simple chord/melody version of "Europa" by Santana. If I'm always just a strummer though, that will be fine. It gives me a perfectly good excuse to sing my fool head off.

Well, whenever I'm working on songs, I'm usually working on range. I can get a pretty good C in the staff, but D and above isn't at all dependable. I like to sing in the key of C, and I had one of my Ukes tuned to Bb. I have one book of cowboy songs that's written in keys for low voices, but I usually have to transpose a lot.

I love to sing something like "Ol' Man River" in the morning when my voice is really low.

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyf View Post
    Hey! English major here also. I've always loved music. Played various band instruments (not well). For me, also, the uke was a perfect excuse to sing songs that I have enjoyed throughout the many decades of my life and continue exploring new music. I don't sing well, but I think I'm a little above God-awful and I certainly enjoy it. I don't think I'll ever be a real picker, though I am working on a simple chord/melody version of "Europa" by Santana. If I'm always just a strummer though, that will be fine. It gives me a perfectly good excuse to sing my fool head off.
    would you mind sharing your version of "Europa"? I would love to learn that one. Like you I'm a strummer mostly but I'd love to learn that .
    Last edited by Icelander53; 04-30-2015 at 03:52 AM.

Thread Information