Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Voice Range

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyf View Post
    Hey! English major here also. I've always loved music. Played various band instruments (not well). For me, also, the uke was a perfect excuse to sing songs that I have enjoyed throughout the many decades of my life and continue exploring new music. I don't sing well, but I think I'm a little above God-awful and I certainly enjoy it. I don't think I'll ever be a real picker, though I am working on a simple chord/melody version of "Europa" by Santana. If I'm always just a strummer though, that will be fine. It gives me a perfectly good excuse to sing my fool head off.
    Old man singing Old Man River. Pretty classy.

DUD when you make it to the top of California go just a few more miles north and stop in for a jam session. (I'm just a few miles over the Oregon Border) This is a serious invitation old man.

Quote Originally Posted by Icelander53 View Post
    Old man singing Old Man River. Pretty classy.

DUD when you make it to the top of California go just a few more miles north and stop in for a jam session. (I'm just a few miles over the Oregon Border) This is a serious invitation old man.
    My wife and I rode our Tandem Bicycle all over that area. We rode around Crater Lake and loved Jackson. It was very, very hot!! It was a nice trip. We did the California Redwoods too--lots of vicious climbs, but when a tandem gets goin' down hill it FLYS!

I think I told you about our trip before. We enjoyed all our trips. We're tryin' to get started again, but . . .
    Kala "Spalted" baritone - Lo D GBD
    Kala tenor eight string - gG cC EE AA
    Gold Tone tenor banjolele - Hi-D GBD

Luna "Peace" concert - Lo-G CEA
    Flea "Red" concert - Hi-G CEA

Kala "Exotic Mahogany" soprano - Hi-A DF#B
    Mahalo yellow "Smiley" soprano (Dad's Day gift) - C
    Ka-Lai Pineapple soprano (old) gift - C

Eat, drink and make merry for tomorrow you’ll be too old.

God gave us old age so we wouldn't mind dying so much.

Quote Originally Posted by ubulele View Post
    That's when baris and a capo come in handy. You play the same chord shapes, it just comes out in key friendlier to your range. I sometimes do this in the morning, when my voice is typically a step or three lower than usual. (I have baris in both linear and reentrant modes, resolving that little issue.) When I feel lazy, or when I only want to cart around one uke, I'll capo a bari at the 5th fret and use is as a tenor substitute. I no longer mind playing with a capo since getting a low-profile adjustable one (Planet Waves NS).
    I have a baritone and a nice, rarely used capo. I'll have to put 'em together and give 'em a try. Thanks!

Well, I've lowered my singing range one note to F, and raised the top end to a sometimes shakey E. I've also gotten into falsetto a bit. I've been using "Singing for Dummies" from the Library, but it doesn't have the CD.

I like the above book pretty much. I might buy one. I already have the exercise one.

Quote Originally Posted by Icelander53 View Post
    would you mind sharing your version of "Europa"? I would love to learn that one. Like you I'm a strummer mostly but I'd love to learn that .
    I'm guessing you have found it by now, but just read your post and don't remember if I sent it to you, but it's on live 'ukulele site by Brad Bordessa. There are a bunch of good ones on his site including beginner pieces.
    Last edited by bunnyf; 06-11-2015 at 04:54 PM.

For those who want to know their range there is a great video on you tube to sing along with which will tell you your range. Do warm up the voice if you can before as that will stretch the voice muscles and the range will become higher/lower to suit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwwbIFQKUzs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IejHKpfHso

I'm a alto at the moment, but as it can change with age we will see.
    Last edited by Purdy Bear; 07-25-2015 at 06:16 AM.

I was told that the best way to improve one's range is to sing a lot. I sometimes try to push my voice with a song that's a bit higher than normal. I was working on my falsetto too, but not with much success.

You see? It's much more interesting to learn stuff than it is to actually sing. It is for me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Down Up Dick View Post
    I was told that the best way to improve one's range is to sing a lot. I sometimes try to push my voice with a song that's a bit higher than normal. I was working on my falsetto too, but not with much success.

You see? It's much more interesting to learn stuff than it is to actually sing. It is for me anyway.
    I'm not the greatest singer...but I think my singing skills are stronger than my uke skills. When I was a kid, I was in the Indianapolis Children's Choir. Although I no longer sing in the same style, I still apply a lot of the techniques they taught us. Breathing is the biggest thing. Controlling the breath and knowing where to put it. It even helped me in band, playing trombone. "Suck that air in with your diaphragm, through your belly and into your back pants pocket." The use your diaphragm to control it as you sing. I know this all probably sounds silly. It's just info that has remained with me through the years.

Another English major reporting in

Need to check out that book!
    9:23448

Passionately Untalented

Compass Rose (Custom Tenor) Kamaka HF-3 Kamoa SM-P Kala KA-STg Tenor Pineapple (Rick Turner Build Class)

Gary Yoshida (added for Mim)

I took some voice lessons, and it was worth it in many ways. I didn't have to take that many either. Just three or four, half hour sessions.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1978485476...rds=R.+L.+Link

Thread Information