Buying a new uke

jaimwa

Reaction score
Hi guys

I've been playing a ibanez concert uke for about 6 months and loving it.

I'm now ready to upgrade and was considering a tenor - either Kala or Martin, but open to other options. I have a budget of about $500.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Jaime

Out of those two..I'd definitely pick Martin. I have both Kala and Martin in concert size and even though both of them are made in a factory, it's more obvious with the Kala.

Edit: I wanted to make sure to clarify that I wasn't referring to sound/tone, just my personal impression. And both of them feel comfortable to play.

Also, you might really want to consider Pono. I don't have one, but everybody keeps saying that they're great. And from the examples I've heard...they really do!

I'd also suggest watching as many videos as possible and in the end trusting your instincts. :D

Last edited:
I've only been playing about 10 months --- so I don't know enough to make a suggestion - but wanted to mention that I'm thinking of buying a Kala (KCG Concert) for my first step up...they seem pretty nice - and well priced...(i currently use a Lanikai Concert LU22CGC - which, I think, is an excellent beginner model).

Forget Kala. Martin > Kala. Look at Pono's as well.

I would stay away from Mele. My local 'ukulele dealer who is Hawaiian told me, Mele's are known to crack because they don't dry their wood properly.

Last edited:
Also, I forgot to mention this earlier: if you have been playing only concert, make sure to try a tenor uke before buying one. Any tenor uke, not necessarily the one you're going to buy. Just so you can see what the tenor scale feels like. It might be quite an adjustment, it certainly was for me. :) It was worth it though, also, it's fun to experiment with different uke sizes.

ponos have a think neck, martin feels smooth i did just get mine.... but it feels perfect. if you can afford pono or martin go for that.

I would stay away from Mele. My local 'ukulele dealer who is Hawaiian told me, Mele's are known to crack because they don't dry their wood properly.

Hi Uke182

Do you have any other information about Mele's cracking? I am looking to replace my soprano uke and have been considering Mele.

Hi Uke182

Do you have any other information about Mele's cracking? I am looking to replace my soprano uke and have been considering Mele.

I don't. The owner of my local uke dealer is Hawaiian, and he really knows his stuff. He carries all 4 of the K brands and he knows builders, so I trust his knowledge. He use to own a Mele and he told me because of Mele's drying methods out in the Philippines, they are more likely to crack. But I don't think it means on every uke they sell. Just the chances are higher than others. I rather get a Pono than a Mele, or even a Big Island brand.

Last edited by Uke182; Today at 05:36 AM.

Is it just the koa Mele's that are prone to cracking or the solid mahogany Mele's as well?

Last edited:
Aloha Jamie, welcome to UU. Glad you joined in. $500 gives you lots of nice ukes in that range. Where do you live? Playing before buying is always best but many of us don't have that option. Next step would be emailing/calling a reputable dealer. They will help you decide. HMS, Mim, Uke Republic, or Mainland will treat you right. Do your homework and don't rush into anything.

Lastly post pics of the new uke!

Happy Hunting

I would save yourself about $250 (out of your $500) and buy a Gretsch Tenor 9120-SM. This is the solid mahogany model. I own one and it sings like a bird (and I don't mean a pigeon) !

Don't knock the "factory" luthiers like Kala and Martin. They have high standards of craftmanship. The only difference between a Martin made in Mexico and one made in Nazareth is about $500 labor cost. The shop foreman in Nazareth will attest to this. One word on Martins they have at least two headstock styles "Tapered Ukulele" and "Traditional Martin Ukulele Design". The "Traditional Martin Ukulele Design" Irritates the web of my hand somewhat. The "Tapered Ukulele" headstocks I've played do this to a smaller degree. You should be able to get Martins T1K Tenor, (Solid Koa), at your price point.

What ever uke you decide on try to play it first. Rely on your ears, not your intuition where ever possible.

From all I've seen and read the craftsmanship of the Cocobolo Factory is first rate. The ukes are uniformly beautiful. The sound clips are good...but they are sound clips. Probably too far above the $500 price point. I would like to hear/play a banjlele with a cocobolo tone rim.

Good to know Ubulele. Here are two good tips for those people working with price points:

1. The standard factory mark-up for just about every product is 100% ie the retailer pays 50% of the list price. The standard trade discount ranges from 20% to 40% ie if your in the business you can get up to a 40% discount if you ask the right way. I bought my first uke, A Martin 1T IZ Tenor from a dealer I had purchased instruments from before. The IZ lists for $2000. Fred discounted it for me, a repeat customer 40% no questions asked. When I went to pick-up the uke the price was $1200. I negotiated it down a little bit further. My second uke was purchased from a different outfit. I negotiated the price down to 55% of list. The asking price of the retailer had been 77% of list.
2. Banks charge a merchants fee of 2-3% on all credit card transactions. When I make a purchase I talk to the manager or owner and ask for a discount of one half the merchant's fee if I pay cash, (check), rather than credit purchase. 95% of managers and owners agree to this immediately. I obtain an additional 1% to 1-1/2% discount.

Wow! What a great community! I didn't rely expect a response but two pages of them gives me a lot to think about.

Thanks so much guys. I'll be sure to let you know what I've gone for.

J

Aloha Jamie, welcome to UU. Glad you joined in. $500 gives you lots of nice ukes in that range. Where do you live? Playing before buying is always best but many of us don't have that option. Next step would be emailing/calling a reputable dealer. They will help you decide. HMS, Mim, Uke Republic, or Mainland will treat you right. Do your homework and don't rush into anything.

Lastly post pics of the new uke!

Happy Hunting

I live in Belfast, Northern Ireland :) I'll check out the stores you have recommended. Thanks again :)

Top Bottom