Big Island must see/do list

The Big Kahuna

Reaction score
Well, seeing as we'll be there in 3 days, and almost all the other tourists will be sat in traffic trying to get a look at the lava, I wonder what suggestions people might have for things to see and do.
We'll be there from the 2nd until the 6th, and so far have the following in our itinerary:

1. Hike down to Cook's monument
2. Visit the seahorse research centre
3. Drive up to the Mauna Kea visitor centre, and maybe carry on up to the summit
4. Revisit the petroglyph fields
5. Visit black beach

A selection of things we did 2 years ago, and are in no rush to do again:

1. Holualoa uke museum (though I might squeeze it in if I'm scratching around for things to do)
2. Hilo
3. Volcanoes national park
4. Other stuff that I've forgotten but will remember when you suggest I go do it

Well, seeing as we'll be there in 3 days, and almost all the other tourists will be sat in traffic trying to get a look at the lava, I wonder what suggestions people might have for things to see and do.
We'll be there from the 2nd until the 6th, and so far have the following in our itinerary:

1. Hike down to Cook's monument
2. Visit the seahorse research centre
3. Drive up to the Mauna Kea visitor centre, and maybe carry on up to the summit
4. Revisit the petroglyph fields
5. Visit black beach

A selection of things we did 2 years ago, and are in no rush to do again:

1. Holualoa uke museum (though I might squeeze it in if I'm scratching around for things to do)
2. Hilo
3. Volcanoes national park
4. Other stuff that I've forgotten but will remember when you suggest I go do it
I know it is not called this anymore, but have you gone to City of Refuge near Kona? So far it is my favourite place on earth. It is gorgeous. And I like the whole story of the City of Refuge being near Royal land.
Here it is! Puuhonua-O-Honaunau National Historic Park.
4ddb03db9b686d3dee61230e14b13adc_zpsd1382a9e.jpg

I know it is not called this anymore, but have you gone to City of Refuge near Kona?

Does this answer your question ;)

100_2813.jpg

<edit> s**, I've just realised those are the two guys I pissed off by posing with them...that's why I've got this frickin abscess!!

My wife and I like to drive north from Kailua-Kona on Hwy 19 and visit Manini'owali Beach. The locals go there. It is easy access. Perfect for body surfing, wading or sun bathing. After that we drive up to Hawi and stroll. There is a hike down to the ocean if you continue around the island past Hawi but it takes some time - there is a good viewpoint for pictures.

One place we always eat is Da Poke Shack (76-6246 Alii Dr, Kailua-Kona)
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...hack-Kailua_Kona_Island_of_Hawaii_Hawaii.html

Several years ago we spent some time at the Seahorse research center. Loved it. Have a picture of my fingers acting as coral with neat looking orange seahorse. I guess it's been longer than several years.

Is a nice drive from Waimea to Hawi via the 'ridge' road # 250. The walk down to Pololu valley is good. My favorite beach is'69' beach by Puako . I'd actually take one of the good tours to the top of Mauna Kea to watch the sun set. Amazing. I'd also recommend a day of fishing on the Top Shape. Get a nice marlin to release or some nice ono or mahimahi to eat. Great boat, lots of fun and very professional crew. The farmers markets in Waimea are quite pleasant. Swim with the manta rays at night.... Etc!! Also swim at'two step'. The poke at the shack is very good. Try the fish market at Kawaihae.

Last edited:
Top Bottom