Jaka Shimabukuro at Smothers' Theatre, Malibu California

Ukulele Eddie

Reaction score
Having read some reviews, I wondered what I would think of Jake's current Tour (some folks don't seem to care for the bass accompaniment). While there were a few instances when I wish the bass had less volume, all-in-all I rather enjoyed it. Still, I was happy there were quite a few songs without it, too.

Jake also incorporated a few songs on a 40 year-old Kamaka Baritone that sounded positively lovely. So warm and rich. Someday, I'll have to venture into that path as well.

Compared to when I saw him a year ago play all by himself, I preferred this concert.

Got to meet Jake before the show, too. He was so warm and welcoming. It's pretty neat to meet somebody widely regarded as the very best in the world at something, and yet they exude nothing but humility and appreciation. My buddy had his new Blackbird tenor signed by Jake, too.

A few photos from the event...

View attachment 72403View attachment 72405View attachment 72404

I saw Jake's show a week ago at the Marin Center. I've seen him three times before, but I felt this was his best show yet, and I'd credit a good part of that to the bass player. Other than one song in the set that just didn't seem to go right, the rest of the show was beyond excellent. I totally agree about the tunes on baritone, but the real standout for me was the extended jam on WMGGW with the bass at the end of the show. Just mind blowing.

Top Bottom