Magical Instrument?

There's no such thing as magic, we all know that.

A 'ukulele is nothing more than some pieces of wood, shaped and glued together with a little bone and wire, strung with fluorocarbon string that is held in place with little pegs. The wood is from a tree that may have started life before your grandfather was born, the basic layout of the body, neck, and frets can be traced to a tradition over a thousand years old. And every day, people make new sounds with it.

No, there's no magic here.

There's no such thing as magic, we all know that.

A 'ukulele is nothing more than some pieces of wood, shaped and glued together with a little bone and wire, strung with fluorocarbon string that is held in place with little pegs. The wood is from a tree that may have started life before your grandfather was born, the basic layout of the body, neck, and frets can be traced to a tradition over a thousand years old. And every day, people make new sounds with it.

No, there's no magic here.
You are certainly right. But any sufficiently advanced technology that creates Wonder is Magic.

What makes the uke magical to me is the ease of which one can learn to play. In my experience as an adult learner of music, it is 4th behind the triangle, the kazoo, and the autoharp. However, the first 3 aren't very cool...

Autoharps are cool! :) :) :)

Any instrument can be magical and cool with the right amount of desire, talent and practice.

I recently saw this autoharpist in concert:

Last edited:
A lot of the "oldtimers" seem to be here less frequently these days, myself included. Life happens - no need to put a good/bad value on it, it just *is* :)

As for the magic - my opinion is that it's not the instrument that's magical, but rather music itself, regardless of what is used to make it.

Oh I agree....myself included!!!

Hmm I don't know. When I put down my guitar and pick up my ukulele at a gig, almost everyone who notices smiles. And when I play those first chords, more smiles. To me, THAT is magical.

A lot of the "oldtimers" seem to be here less frequently these days, myself included. Life happens - no need to put a good/bad value on it, it just *is* :)

As for the magic - my opinion is that it's not the instrument that's magical, but rather music itself, regardless of what is used to make it.

And to that I will only add, listening to music is magical, but making it is a different kind of magic. I like being the alchemist. And, when I play that music, I feel transformed. My problems fade, if even for a little while, and I feel like I've done something beautiful - made something beautiful.

I get the winter blahs with the sun setting so early. Playing music really helps lift my mood.

sounds like the general consensus is that what comes out of the uke is magical. Not the instrument itself?

An interesting question Yukon. THe ukulele does possess a charm on its own. And the simplicity involved in picking up the instrument from scratch and making music so easily could make one believe there is spirit residing in the instrument. I find it a wonder that the ukulele has adapted to and been developed in such harmony with its natal and native environment, ie Hawaii.

sounds like the general consensus is that what comes out of the uke is magical. Not the instrument itself?

You aint heard what I get out of it.......if that's magic then the Wicked Witch of the East is back ...and taken residence with Lord Sauron at Mordor Towers ....LOL

Maybe its not magic
Maybe tis but a key
Meant to unlock the magic
Hiding inside of me

Maybe for them, but not for me! I love music, but there IS something magical about the ukulele! You see, I play the piano, penny whistle, Native American flutes, transverse flutes. They're nice. LOVE my piano. Love the classical flute that I have but can't play much because of wrist pain.

On to life - it's hard. REALLY hard sometimes. I'm working two jobs (one I don't get paid for but love) and am a full time seminary student. Can we say stressed? I'm always tired and often down.

HOWEVER, when I pick up my uke, there's magic. No matter how I feel, that little bundle of joy makes me smile and makes me feel happy. Don't know if it's because of the way you cradle that baby, or if it's the cuteness of it, or the harp-like sound, or the ease of playing and sense of accomplishment quickly. Don't really care what it is. Makes me feel good and helps me to relax for a little while. I don't get that from listening to music or from playing other instruments.

As much stress and exhaustion I have, anything that can make me feel like that, is MAGIC!

UKES ARE MAGIC!!!! :music:

Maybe for them, but not for me! I love music, but there IS something magical about the ukulele! You see, I play the piano, penny whistle, Native American flutes, transverse flutes. They're nice. LOVE my piano. Love the classical flute that I have but can't play much because of wrist pain.

On to life - it's hard. REALLY hard sometimes. I'm working two jobs (one I don't get paid for but love) and am a full time seminary student. Can we say stressed? I'm always tired and often down.

HOWEVER, when I pick up my uke, there's magic. No matter how I feel, that little bundle of joy makes me smile and makes me feel happy. Don't know if it's because of the way you cradle that baby, or if it's the cuteness of it, or the harp-like sound, or the ease of playing and sense of accomplishment quickly. Don't really care what it is. Makes me feel good and helps me to relax for a little while. I don't get that from listening to music or from playing other instruments.

As much stress and exhaustion I have, anything that can make me feel like that, is MAGIC!

I agree 100 percent. I have played many instruments, but none of them had the magic of a ukulele!

Steve Martin say "you really Can't Sing A Depressing Song While Playing The Banjo"

and I think it all goes TWICE for the ukulele!

:nana:

Last edited:

Yep. I've listened to lots of music and played several different instruments and I know that feeling. I love my ukes.

Last edited:
Good to see you. Hope you come around more often again. I took a break to be more responsible with things in the real world. That being said the ukulele is magical for me. I still play all the time. It brings me huge amounts of joy, and I have met some wonderful people. Still hope one day to get the funds for a Moore Bettah. Sorry if things are not bringing you joy, and I hope things turn around for you my friend.

Good to see you. Hope you come around more often again. I took a break to be more responsible with things in the real world. That being said the ukulele is magical for me. I still play all the time. It brings me huge amounts of joy, and I have met some wonderful people. Still hope one day to get the funds for a Moore Bettah. Sorry if things are not bringing you joy, and I hope things turn around for you my friend.

It's not that it doesn't bring me joy. It's just not magical. Music is way more magical. The Uke is simply a tool.

Hucklelele: Shortly after I got my drivers license My friends and I drove to Philadelphia to hear Leslie West play. The show was sold out, but we made our way to the Main Point where Michael Cooney was playing. I don't remember if he played the Ukulele that night but he did play the Banjo. I immediately fell under its Spell and decided to learn to play the banjo one day. Some time after that I became Enchanted by Singing. Now I am Ensorcelled by Ukulele. All three bring joy to my life in equal measure. Magical? Of course not!

LOL!! I needed that laugh. I like it. We once had a lady show up to a SEUker jam with the autoharp. For real. She also invited us all to a cuddle party. Ask UkeRepublic about that one.

Ahhhh! The cuddle party lady

Top Bottom