First ukulele advice

Yanto

Reaction score
Hi all
Just registered on the forum here today. I've been playing acoustic guitar for 40 years now. I like the idea of learning ukulele. But freely admit that I know absolutely nothing about them.
I've seen the various sizes of ukulele available, and am thinking that a Tenor might be a good first instrument for me? I have fairly large hands so think this size would be suitable.
I'm in the UK, so appreciate that my next question may be difficult to answer. I'm only looking at spending around £60/$90 on this first instrument, and I've seen brands such as Kala, Makala and Mahalo for sale over here. Are these brands ok for a starter uke?
Many thanks in advance for information and advice received
Ian

Hi all
Just registered on the forum here today. I've been playing acoustic guitar for 40 years now. I like the idea of learning ukulele. But freely admit that I know absolutely nothing about them.
I've seen the various sizes of ukulele available, and am thinking that a Tenor might be a good first instrument for me? I have fairly large hands so think this size would be suitable.
I'm in the UK, so appreciate that my next question may be difficult to answer. I'm only looking at spending around £60/$90 on this first instrument, and I've seen brands such as Kala, Makala and Mahalo for sale over here. Are these brands ok for a starter uke?
Ian

I have been enjoying my Makala Shark as my first uke. I am going to upgrade when I can afford to. I'm also a guitar player, just starting out on uke. Welcome to the club!

I have been enjoying my Makala Shark as my first uke. I am going to upgrade when I can afford to. I'm also a guitar player, just starting out on uke. Welcome to the club!

Thanks! How are you finding playing ukulele compared to guitar?

Thanks! How are you finding playing ukulele compared to guitar?

I don't really compare it because I was barely a teenager when I started guitar. I play multiple instruments and they are each their own experience. For me, it would be a mistake to compare them.

So far, my experience with the ukulele has been awesome. My daughter and husband have also started playing so it's been the ultimate experience for us.

The one comparison I will make between when I learned guitar vs now, with the uke is the availability of resources to learn. Lots of stuff online. When I first started guitar, there wasn't an internet (that I knew of). So for that reason, especially, I cannot fairly compare the differences between learning them. Sorry if this reads choppy. Im typing this from my phone and I'm in a hurry.

Hi all
Ian

Hi Ian
Something like this would get you going Ohanos are a good make.
http://www.southernukulelestore.co.uk/Product/39/Ohana-TK10-Tenor-Ukulele-Mahogany-top,-back-sides
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRe2p-DvIlQ

Yanto wrote :
I've been playing acoustic guitar for 40 years now ... am thinking that a Tenor might be a good first instrument for me? I have fairly large hands so think this size would be suitable ... I'm only looking at spending around £60/$90 on this first instrument, and I've seen brands such as Kala, Makala and Mahalo for sale over here. Are these brands ok for a starter uke?
Bin there, done that :)

If you've got a capo to hand, clip it on at the 5th fret of your guitar, that'll give you a good idea of the fret-spacing and pitch of a tenor ukulele. If you haven't got a capo, use a pencil and a couple of rubber bands ;)

My first "proper" ukulele was a Kala KA-C concert ... excellent instrument, the tenor would probably be just as good, but I'm waiting for my local shop to get me a Barnes & Mullins BU5-T tenor in all-maple with white binding. I've got the B&M BU4-B baritone in dark wood, excellent, but the blonde is prettier ;)

In your price bracket, I don't think you'd go wrong with either the Kala or the B&M, not that I've got anything against the Mahalo, I've got a soprano pineapple which is just fine. I've no experience of the Makala. Do bear in mind that the "electrified" versions of these models are significantly more expensive, so don't get mislead by an over-zealous salesman!

Good luck :)

Yanto wrote : Bin there, done that :)

If you've got a capo to hand, clip it on at the 5th fret of your guitar, that'll give you a good idea of the fret-spacing and pitch of a tenor ukulele. If you haven't got a capo, use a pencil and a couple of rubber bands ;)

My first "proper" ukulele was a Kala KA-C concert ... excellent instrument, the tenor would probably be just as good, but I'm waiting for my local shop to get me a Barnes & Mullins BU5-T tenor in all-maple with white binding. I've got the B&M BU4-B baritone in dark wood, excellent, but the blonde is prettier ;)

In your price bracket, I don't think you'd go wrong with either the Kala or the B&M, not that I've got anything against the Mahalo, I've got a soprano pineapple which is just fine. I've no experience of the Makala. Do bear in mind that the "electrified" versions of these models are significantly more expensive, so don't get mislead by an over-zealous salesman!

Good luck :)

Hi, and thanks. Good tip re capoing the guitar at the fifth. Will try that. I was thinking tenor because a concert might be too cramped?
I also definitely do not want a uke with electrics. So I won't be getting talked into buying one with them ;-)
Ian

Aloha and welcome to UU. Glad you joined in. That Ohana tenor would be a great choice. I have the TK-20 which is the same uke but a solid top and really like it. The tenor might be better suited for a (soon to be ex-) guitar player. You can tune it high G (traditional uke sound) or low G which gives a wider picking range.

Happy hunting and keep us posted

Yanto wrote :
I was thinking tenor because a concert might be too cramped?
The scale-length on my concert is just 15", about the 8th fret on a guitar ... try it and see ;)

IMHO, the "concert" is an excellent compromise for the "average adult male", small enough to be ukulele-like but big enough to at least be able to fit in a few chords up to the fifth fret or so. I'm getting a tenor 'cos I want to try a few four-finger chords up to the ninth fret or so and I just get too cramped on the concert (and it's a pretty tenor). I'm prepared to admit, though, if I had to make a choice, I'd probably stick with the concert for it's "ukulele-ness" and learn the six-finger chord equivalents on guitar, but hey, can you really have too many ukuleles ;)

I just would not really over-analyze it. Just get a uke within your price range that feels good when you try it out, and go from there. It has been my experience that the transition from guitar to ukulele isn't a big deal. It's its own instrument and learning the different tuning and chords is part of the fun. A tenor might be a good choice. I don't know. I have never played one. I just know that if I wanted an instrument that played closely to a guitar, or just like a guitar, I'd just go get out my guitar. I hope I have not offended anyone with this post...I mean for it to be encouraging. Just go to a store that has ukes in stock and see what feels good to you.

Last edited:
I started playing ukulele a little over a year ago after playing guitar for almost 50 years. My first uke was a Mahalo Telecaster look-alike ($60 US), I bought it because I have a Fender Tele and thought they would be cute hanging next to each other. That same week I received a postcard for the annual summer ukulele play along at our Music Center, so I grabbed the uke and got online to learn a little. Two things happened quickly; 1) it did not take much for me to get into playing ukulele, and 2) the Mahalo was very difficult to maneuver because, as I learned, it was a soprano. I looked up sizes and knew tenor would be best for me. I've been hooked on tenor ever since (beside my recent foray into bass, as you can see in my signature below).

My Kala is my best playing and sounding uke, I highly recommend them.

Hi Yanto, welcome to the wonderful world of the ukulele! I don't have any of the brands you mention (although Kala and Makala clearly come highly recommended), but there are a few shops here in the UK which can offer excellent advice, and set up. I've bought ukes online/over the phone from Eagle Music (Huddersfield), Omega Music (Cumbria), and Southern Ukulele (Bournemouth), and found them all to be very helpful and honest. Have fun :)

I would recommend the Mahalo tenor. It has a great sound for the price. I have played guitar since my teens and tried the uke for a change. Love it although i quit for a bit.

I am also in the UK i got mine from Normans, great returns policy even if it doesn't suit your needs.

I think there is a gem at every price point and the Mahalo tenor is it. I am finding my feet for size etc so i will 'upgrade' now i know the tenor is the best size for me but i'm honestly in no rush.

Kala can be overbuilt or amazing. - Ohana's have a tone that seems so run through the range, the TK35G interests me. The Makala Mk S is good (had one) so i'm guessing the tenor would be more of the same but will 'feel' cheaper than the Mahalo.

Hope this helps. :)

I'm easily turning into a Kala player. I do not work for, have any affiliation with or gain monetary or otherwise of the companies I mention in this thread.

My suggestion is a Kala exotic mahogany uke in whichever size you desire. I own a soprano a KA-SEM and it is beautiful to look at and sounds great yet it's still a laminate so its very easy to maintain. Meaning no humidity issues. We have another member that posts videos here he plays a KA-TEM so you can hear what they sound like.

A quick glance over at Hawaii music shows they have a KA-TEM with electrics for just under $200. http://www.theukulelesite.com/kala-ka-teme-exotic-mahogany-tenor-electric.html

They also have a Gretsch 9120 tenor for $130 I have read nothing but good about the soprano models and would buy one if they had it in stock. Might be something to look into. http://www.theukulelesite.com/gretsch-mahogany-tenor-g9120.html

I'm a fan of laminates after having two cracked ukuleles from Vietnam and their upkeep. They don't get played any they live in the jungle box.

Either choice will give you a great playing inexpensive instrument that you wont fight to play or upkeep. They all come with a full setup included in the price. Then if you are serious about the ukulele and want to maintain an instrument the sky's the limit.

http://www.martinguitar.com/ukuleles/item/110-3-cherry-uke.html

~peace~

Last edited:
I'd be hesitant to buy a tenor for under $200, unless you can try out the very instrument you purchase. Just ask yourself if you could easily get a new acoustic guitar with decent strings and good action/etc that isn't rubbish for under a hundred bucks. It isn't so different for ukuleles. If money is tight, I'd hold out an extra month and then get something decent that is properly set up. (It isn't impossible, but the risk of wasting money on a barely playable instrument is not small -- especially here in Europe where prices tend to be higher.)

There are guitar snobs, gear snobs, label and price snobs. Facts are in 2014 you just do not need to spend multiple hundreds of dollars to get a decent laminate professionally set up ukulele. We all opine but lets try to keep it educated. If spending high dollar is your thing you can view the ukuleles for sale by size and price! :) The site I linked to comes well recommended from many here. http://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/size/tenor.html?dir=desc&limit=all&order=price

I wouldn't try to save a few dollars by buying anything from musicians friend. Even then if you are skilled in doing your own guitar setup a ukulele is much smaller. Even a cheap novelty ukulele can become a great player with a setup. http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?89687-Blueprinting-Smiley!

I wouldn't spend more until you are sure of the size. I started tenor and quickly switched to soprano, in fact I am waiting on a sopranissimo to arrive. I find my fat fingers at times two or three will fill the role of all four on a bigger instrument.

Ultimately have fun its all about having fun!

~Peace~

I'd be hesitant to buy a tenor for under $200, unless you can try out the very instrument you purchase. Just ask yourself if you could easily get a new acoustic guitar with decent strings and good action/etc that isn't rubbish for under a hundred bucks. It isn't so different for ukuleles. If money is tight, I'd hold out an extra month and then get something decent that is properly set up. (It isn't impossible, but the risk of wasting money on a barely playable instrument is not small -- especially here in Europe where prices tend to be higher.)

A $200 uke could be classed as a $600 acoustic guitar or £126/£378. 1/3 of the wood... or laminate. Plenty decent at that price. I was told this when i first found out how cheap solid wood ukulele's are. Yeah a $100/£63 guitar would be almost certainly a pass by instrument.

Even the lowest end Makala dolphins are anything but unplayable. Unplayable is a bad set up... really bad. CNC wins these days.

Ink, he's in the UK, not in the US, which makes things more expensive. The links to American stores don't help him, unless these stores ship to the UK without adding a substantial fee. Not to mention customs.

I'm not sure to which degree it is opinion, though I guess it is. I've just never seen a decent, set up tenor for $100 or less, but I've seen people buy cheap instruments and then regret it, quitting the hobby before they were really starting. I don't feel that 200 (shipped) is "high dollar" for a tenor. $150 will probably also do, but under $100? I can't see it being likely to have good results.

But anyway, just my thoughts on it. :) He's been offered different takes, so at least various views are available for consideration.

Top Bottom