First ukulele advice

I'd be hesitant to buy a tenor for under $200, unless you can try out the very instrument you purchase. Just ask yourself if you could easily get a new acoustic guitar with decent strings and good action/etc that isn't rubbish for under a hundred bucks. It isn't so different for ukuleles. If money is tight, I'd hold out an extra month and then get something decent that is properly set up. (It isn't impossible, but the risk of wasting money on a barely playable instrument is not small -- especially here in Europe where prices tend to be higher.)
True. And a lot of people seem to think that a uke should be a lot cheaper than a guitar just because it's smaller. Yes, it takes less wood... but there's a lot of similarity in construction, and the amount of work it takes to make one.

I hear people raving about their Makala Dolphins as being great beginner instruments. (Disclaimer: I've never played one.) Maybe in their price range, but you really can't expect much from a $40 uke.

OP, keep an eye on the Marketplace here and the one at fleamarketmusic, check your local craigslist. See if there are any local uke gatherings you can go to. Most people will be happy to let you try their ukes, and you might just run into someone who's got something for sale. Unless it's some high-end or vintage instrument, you'll get way more bang for your buck buying used.

Ink, he's in the UK, not in the US, which makes things more expensive. The links to American stores don't help him, unless these stores ship to the UK without adding a substantial fee. Not to mention customs.

When research is a click away (seconds) it takes little time to look and educate your response. Shipping and different countries duty taxes are really not my bother. I'm only pointing out a well known trusted seller that professionally sets up everything they sell. In other words you wont likely buy JUNK and be discouraged from them.

http://www.theukulelesite.com/shipping-questions

I'm not sure to which degree it is opinion, though I guess it is. I've just never seen a decent, set up tenor for $100 or less, but I've seen people buy cheap instruments and then regret it, quitting the hobby before they were really starting. I don't feel that 200 (shipped) is "high dollar" for a tenor. $150 will probably also do, but under $100? I can't see it being likely to have good results.

Your original statement was you wouldn't trust a $200 tenor now you go and change your argument. While I love a good debate I cannot even entertain this as a valid counterstatement.
There must be a communication barrier here or something. Clearly my main concern was the member not fall into the same trap you describe of buying junk and being discouraged. I think you're just not bothering to look before you write, and maybe arguing to argue.

My other concern is the push to fit them to a tenor size, this alone is why I would not buy anything more than a great inexpensive instrument.

Had you looked you would see the first "high dollar" tenor on the list at Hawaii Music Supply is a custom Pepe Romero for $3,650.00. Easier to just opine.

But anyway, just my thoughts on it. :) He's been offered different takes, so at least various views are available for consideration.

Well anyhow the OP can see we actually both agree on the important things. Buy your instrument from a reputable seller that offers a professional setup. A site search on Hawaii Music Supply will bring up facts on this and other recommended sellers. Duty taxes and shipping might change the prices listed on any web site linked its up to "you" to do the research to what these things may cost in your country.

Price alone does not equal quality.

~peace~

True. And a lot of people seem to think that a uke should be a lot cheaper than a guitar just because it's smaller. Yes, it takes less wood... but there's a lot of similarity in construction, and the amount of work it takes to make one.

I hear people raving about their Makala Dolphins as being great beginner instruments. (Disclaimer: I've never played one.) Maybe in their price range, but you really can't expect much from a $40 uke.

OP, keep an eye on the Marketplace here and the one at fleamarketmusic, check your local craigslist. See if there are any local uke gatherings you can go to. Most people will be happy to let you try their ukes, and you might just run into someone who's got something for sale. Unless it's some high-end or vintage instrument, you'll get way more bang for your buck buying used.

From my experience here on this very forum buying different ukuleles I will tell you buying used is hit or miss at best. I've gotten great deals and I've been disappointed. Your experience will be your own when buying anything used from a picture. Smiley is a great playing ukulele but not a player as sold from musicians friend. Of course while the playability and intonation can be fixed on a $40 instrument once I moved up to my KA-SEM ($99 soprano range) the sound difference between the two is like night and day. Smiley just has a toy like sound.

I play a KA-SEM as my main player now. I know a new ukulele doesn't have to cost much to sound decent. I know I'm much happier not having any concern with a laminate body cracking and because of this the ukulele is within reach not living in a closed case. I'm quite discouraged after looking today to see there doesn't seem to be many groups in my state.

Well now less typy-type more practice for me.

~later~

While I love a good debate I cannot even entertain this as a valid counterstatement.

There is no debate. I wrote that I would hesitate to get a tenor for under $200 (much less for $100) unless I had seen and tested the very instrument that I'm buying. You immediately responded aggressively ("big dollar", "snobs", "educated", etc.) apparently looking for a "good debate".

If your experience with cheap ukes differs from mine, or if you have an easy time finding a "professionally set-up" tenor with decent strings and acceptable build quality for 60 pounds or 75 euros in Europe, I respect that. But it's not an experience I share. I'd have trouble to get a set up soprano at that price.

Hi. Thanks for the advice. I can understand the analogy with acoustic guitar. I don't own any all laminate guitars. I've spent decent money on guitars. I have no intention of spending a lot on my first uke. Purely for the reason that I may not take to it. I started on relatively cheap guitars and moved up to better instruments. This is my plan with the uke too. If I decide to keep playing, and I'm happy with the size, I will buy better at that point. I'm realistic to know that at a budget of under £100 I'm not getting an all solid wood instrument but I'd expect something easily playable.
I have no intention of importing from the U.S., either new of used. This is because I've done this recently with a guitar, and it arrived badly damaged. I was responsible for return shipping, and it took a month to get a refund (minus return shipping and import duties) , from the U.S. company.
I've decided to increase my original budget to £100, which at today's exchange rates, equates to approx $160US. I also appreciate that like most things musical instruments are more expensive over here than in the US. So some models recommended, may not fall in this budget.
I really appreciate all advice offered here and apologise if this thread has caused arguments between fellow members
Ian

I've decided to increase my original budget to £100, which at today's exchange rates, equates to approx $160US.

Don't worry about us growling a little at one another! :)

I feel that £100 is a lot more workable, actually. Are you set on a tenor model? Do you have any stores near-by that have a decent selection of ukes so that you can test-drive some of them? I didn't, so when I bought my first one, I wasted some money on "experimenting" and "learning" (I also didn't know how utterly important a proper set-up was, which certainly colored my take on overly inexpensive, off-the-shelf ukuleles).

I've been seeing good feedback on the Mahimahi MT-7G (tenor, massive), which is around €170 including set-up and shipping, but that's £140 (and in Germany anyway). In my eyes, that's pretty inexpensive, but you can probably get something for a tad less. The tricky part is finding a seller that does a proper set-up, otherwise it's just a gamble. You may get a good one, or you may not.

Hopefully someone from the UK can chip in with online vendor recommendations (those that do set-ups).

I thought Tenor, as I have quite large hands, so it would be easier for me to play than a soprano or concert. But I'm happy to consider others

I thought Tenor, as I have quite large hands, so it would be easier for me to play than a soprano or concert. But I'm happy to consider others

This is where trying them out in a store would really help. For me, it went like this: I read all about differences sizes and didn't know what I wanted, so I bought a concert-size ukulele and a cheap soprano (which was really not playable). The concert one seemed awfully small, so I bought a tenor, which was much easier for fretting (I had no background with string instruments), but felt kind of big and not as portable as I wanted it to be. Sounded great, though, and it had been set up properly.

So after a while of playing, I couldn't stop wondering about a nice soprano. :) Tiny Tim had pretty big hands (mine are normal-sized adult hands) after all. I bought one in the $300 range, also set-up, and I managed much better after having gotten some practice with the tenor, and I loved how small it was. It also had a more "typical" ukulele sound, whereas the tenor was really more like a small guitar (since you're a guitar player, this is probably both an up and a downside). A while later I wondered if maybe a good concert would make a decent compromise between size, portability and range, but when I chatted some with the person who'd sold me the tenor and the second soprano, he suggested that maybe I should stick with what I have a while longer before buying more stuff. Bless him for the honesty and reality check when he could have made money by selling me yet another instrument!

I still play both tenor and soprano, with the soprano currently getting more play time. I do believe a tenor is initially easier to play, but after a while it probably doesn't matter anymore and sound/portability/preference are more decisive aspects. It's really very subjective, though, and hard to tell in advance. My own prediction, that a soprano would simply be too small to play comfortably for me, turned out to be totally off. It's probably one of the reasons why I have only seen very few people who have only one ukulele. Then again, you guitarists tend to have a whole basement full of them, too! (I am also at kalimba/mbira #9, so ... maybe I just have a problem!).

Yanto, you can't go wrong with a Kala or Ohana. I own both, and the Ohana is my fave. None of them cost over $270 American.
Mivo is absolutely correct. Make really sure that you get an instrument that is SET UP properly. A good setup may cost you $25 to $35. A uke that can't be setup right is firewood, and you won't enjoy it. The less you spend on a uke, the more important a set up is. You can see a ukulele setup on YouTube.
Going with an "off brand, bargain uke" is asking for trouble. I hope your first uke brings you much joy, and welcome to UU, where sufferers of UAS meet daily to discuss their ailment....

I got my first uke after 7 years of guitar playing. Spent 40 quid on a nice little Dolphin. That's a soprano. There were some chords that were tricky at first from a space perspective, but for the most part my fingers adjusted fine, and I have pretty big hands.

That being said, I upgraded to a concert not long after and that to me seems a perfect compromise. My next uke will be a tenner, but that's only because I really want a six-string (as in the C and A strings are doubled, not a guitalele which I don't see the point of).

Whereabouts in the UK are you mate? It's well worth going to a store and trying a few out, even better if their main focus is on ukes. I would say Kala's a good bet anyway. Not sure what sort of prices Tanglewood have on their tenors but I've tried a few of their concerts and really liked them.

Last edited:
Envious of the above poster ^ for being so close to The Southern Ukulele Store... :p

There is no debate. I wrote that I would hesitate to get a tenor for under $200 (much less for $100) unless I had seen and tested the very instrument that I'm buying. You immediately responded aggressively ("big dollar", "snobs", "educated", etc.) apparently looking for a "good debate".

It appears that you formed an opinion on Hawaii Music Supply on nothing more than your perception of the price, you countered my thought with your un/under educated opinion. Basically your opinion is you wouldn't trust anything the guy above you (that being me) said. Being aggressive, lets not confuse honesty with aggression.

If your experience with cheap ukes differs from mine, or if you have an easy time finding a "professionally set-up" tenor with decent strings and acceptable build quality for 60 pounds or 75 euros in Europe, I respect that. But it's not an experience I share. I'd have trouble to get a set up soprano at that price.

See I called it a debate trying to be nice, really I think you're "acting" a twit, you prove it. I gave you an out in the reality we are agreeing on whats important is buying a brand name ukulele thats setup by a known dealer but instead you focus on the above in your reply. Throwing around hate words like "cheap" while at the same time judging a ukulele by the strings its sold with?

Talk about cheap. ;)

~AL~

Hey Ian,

No need to apologize some people like to growl and argue. Where I'm from if you growl you better be prepared to bite or get pee'd on. ;)

You can use Google to search this and many other sites using the site switch. For instance I found this by searching: recommended Internet sellers in the UK site:ukuleleunderground.com Use different search terms and YMWV. http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...e-Shops-that-Do-Set-ups-International-Edition

I would imagine once you hit shipping on the Hawaii Music Supply store the price would jump considerably but I'm guessing really. I'm also not aware of their return policy in the event your item were to become damaged in transit. You would have to ask them, they do offer a great setup on everything they sell.

I own one uke setup by mims and one setup by ukegirl both are great one needed tweaking to my liking. Point being even with a great setup you might want something different or more "aggressive". A local store you trust would be most awesome.

To focus on the positive, have you ever done any setup work on your own guitar? Another thing to me in the beauty of an "inexpensive" ukulele if you decide to work on it and ruin it well its not that expensive to replace. A ukulele is not very hard to work on.

Closing thought ask around about laminates here on these forums. I recently looked at the Martin OXK but decided that priced at $400 it didn't sound any better than my Kala. This is a good video on Martin sopranos comparing a laminate to a solid wood ukulele. Its 2014 the future is in laminates.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FghXY9z9-_k&list=UU8IkAxAC9DC21iIsLjo_qsQ

I need to practice more I'm out.

~AL~

Last edited:
Hey Al. As always thanks for the advice and information. Amazing how much you can learn by talking with people on forums such as these.
I don't do any set up work at all on my guitars. Obviously I change strings, oil fretboards and tuners etc. and have done truss rod tweaks. But I've never filed or levelled frets or changed a nut or saddle. But I must admit, I intend giving it a go on my uke when I get one. I'm really looking forward to getting one soon. Maybe I'm overthinking this whole thing, and show just go ahead and buy one, so that I can start learning to play it and enjoy it!
Ian

Hi Ian,

This may be your first uke but there's a good chance it won't be your last!

Good luck and enjoy

1) Try it before you buy it!

2) If that is not possible, go to a highly reputable online site...the best I have have seen is HMS...but other forum members talk about Mim et. al.

3) If there is a sound sample...that is the next best thing...also...does the site set up the Ukulele?

4) I would recommend going with a solid Ukulele...laminates are ok...but it would be like buying a laminate guitar...and you know how that goes...pretty much just ok, imho!

5) Pono MT...or AT (i think the deluxe Ponos are better)...Kala SMHT...Islander solid...Cordoba 30T...etc.

Quit hijacking threads with your squabbles.

Each is entitled to hold an opinion and to express it so long as it's expressed in a non-jerk way. Each is entitled to offer a contrasting opinion - again, so long as it's expressed in a non-jerk way. Some of you seem to have difficulty with the "non-jerk way" of expressing those opinions.

Knock it off or continue it via PM so the rest of us don't have to endure your noise.

Thanks.

Hey Al. As always thanks for the advice and information. Amazing how much you can learn by talking with people on forums such as these.
I don't do any set up work at all on my guitars. Obviously I change strings, oil fretboards and tuners etc. and have done truss rod tweaks. But I've never filed or levelled frets or changed a nut or saddle. But I must admit, I intend giving it a go on my uke when I get one. I'm really looking forward to getting one soon. Maybe I'm overthinking this whole thing, and show just go ahead and buy one, so that I can start learning to play it and enjoy it!
Ian

Having been involved with tattooing/ piercing and all aspects of the tattoo industry since the mid 80's, having made my markings in skin in everything from a revolutionary customer service shop in the 80's to a three patch MC shop afterwards I guess my personality can be um... imposing at times. Nothing personal I harbor no ill toward anyone.

All in all the chest bumping and tail feather strutting aside, the stark reality of it is we all agree here. All of us are saying to buy a ukulele that comes with a pro setup, don't go crazy in price you might likely decide like I did that you want a soprano, a concert or OMG maybe a baritone even. If you have a shop nearby that you can actually talk to the people doing your setup that is a great thing, never bad.

I'm currently waiting on ukulele number 10 a sopranissimo (very small) so you will likely buy more. I was always afraid to work on my axe (80's USA BC Rich warlock) but my first $35 ukulele was a blast to work on. I push the laminates because I see the damage time and humidity has done to my instruments. With my KA-SEM the only maintenance is oiling the fretboard. I linked you to an awesome video of two KA-TEM's being played together, watch that and tell me why a laminate ukulele is supposed to sound bad again?

Again I'm writing when playing or practicing is what I really need to do.

~Good luck~ and keep us informed with your purchase.

PS. Strings are consumables, most who buy instruments throw away the set the instrument comes with. Most ukuleles come strung in Aquila's or a knockoff string in today's world. At least this side of the pond.

Once you buy the ukulele it doesn't end there even if you only buy one, the search for strings begins.

You might try a set of Aquila reds they are copper impregnated and others have said they add a metallic sound to the ukulele. I tend to think they ring out a bit more like a guitar string, more sustain. But that is food for another thread after you buy your new little friend.

Last edited:
What Ink said...but only buy a laminate if you aren't serious about taking care of your instrument...read another way...It takes a concerted effort to keep a solid wood instrument from cracking in dry climates...My dad's Pono has 2 Oasis humidifiers and one of the other film strip ones in his case in Utah...he is constantly watering them...but when not in humid Hawaii...this is what needs to be done...many people have a humidor/humid room...specifically for this reason. Best of luck on your search...go cheaper if you do not plan on taking the time to care for a solid...better yet...squirrel away $1200 for a carbon fiber blackbird...and never worry about anything...aside from dropping it.

Top Bottom