Slotted headstock tenor for <$300?

crazybilly

Reaction score
I've been playing a Lanaki soprano pineapple for a year or so now, and really enjoy it. It's a great instrument for knocking around, campfires, throwing in the car, backpack, etc.

It's treated me good, but it's not very loud and the intonation isn't great. So I'm thinking about getting another uke for when I'm playing in front of people (mostly at church, but also a decent amount of busking at the local farmers market).

With that in mind, I'm thinking about something fairly loud (a tenor? a banjolele? a resonator?). I really like slotted headstocks (and really DISLIKE friction tuners) and for church, having a pickup would be really handy.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking in the mid to lower price range, less than $300 used. (I don't play enough uke to justify something high end at this point). I largely prefer used gear - I'm happy to let somebody else pay to drive it off the lot.

I'm really kicking myself for missing the Musicians Friend daily deal in the monkey pod tenor for $200 the other day. But maybe there's something else similar out there (or maybe a Butler Music blem?)

Any suggestions?

The other thing I forgot to mention is that I mostly play clawhammer and old time. The uke functions as a banjo that my wife doesn't want to smash into a thousand pieces....

Dunno if that makes much of a difference in terms of suggestions...

I have a Lanikai Monkeypod tenor SMP-TCA (probably the same model from that deal) that I'd be willing to sell for $200.
I'll take some pics for you if you like but you can see it in a couple of videos here, here and here. Don't let my crappy playing (and singing) put you off the quality of the instrument.
It's got a deep body with a full sound, with a wide and chunky neck. Fishman Sonicore active pickup onboard. Volume and tone controls are on dials inside the soundhole.

I've been playing a Lanaki soprano pineapple for a year or so now, and really enjoy it. It's a great instrument for knocking around, campfires, throwing in the car, backpack, etc.

It's treated me good, but it's not very loud and the intonation isn't great. So I'm thinking about getting another uke for when I'm playing in front of people (mostly at church, but also a decent amount of busking at the local farmers market).

With that in mind, I'm thinking about something fairly loud (a tenor? a banjolele? a resonator?). I really like slotted headstocks (and really DISLIKE friction tuners) and for church, having a pickup would be really handy.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking in the mid to lower price range, less than $300 used. (I don't play enough uke to justify something high end at this point). I largely prefer used gear - I'm happy to let somebody else pay to drive it off the lot.

I'm really kicking myself for missing the Musicians Friend daily deal in the monkey pod tenor for $200 the other day. But maybe there's something else similar out there (or maybe a Butler Music blem?)

Any suggestions?

I can vouch for the Lanikai SMP-TCA. It's been my performance machine for 4 years now and hasn't let me down. It sounds great too!

Just a note (with any solid wood uke), watch out for humidity.

There's actually one for sale on Flea Market Music for $250: https://www.fleamarketmusic.com/marketplace/default.asp

Kala Solid Acacia Tenor Ukulele & Uke Crazy Case

This is a very nice Kala Tenor Uke with Uke Crazy case purchased in March 2014. Model is Kala-ASAC-T. It is a gorgeous instrument with a sweet sound and very pretty. The uke is in good as new condition and show no signs of use- because it has none. I had purchased to learn finger style uke and hadn't gotten around to it yet. I'm only selling because of a very sick pet and a big vet bill to pay. The case has some minor surface imperfections which you may be able to see in the pictures. In addition, the handle has become separated despite the fact that I have never left the house with this uke. I believe it could be fixed with glue and clamps or possibly replaced. My cost for this ukulele was as follows $300- uke, $70 case + $26 tax = $399. The selling price is low because I would like to sell this quickly and help out Mike the cat.

Price: $250 + shipping
Name: Leanne Bertino
E-mail: leannebertino@me.com
Posted On: 11/9/2014

Dang, that Kala is a looker! How loud would you say it is?

KoaD, I'm going to send you a PM shortly.

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. Just to be sure, ya'll think I'm on the right track going for a tenor, if I've got concerns about volume? Sound tends to drop off really fast outdoors when I'm busking and I want to make sure I can carry at least to the next booth or so.

Dang, that Kala is a looker! How loud would you say it is?

KoaD, I'm going to send you a PM shortly.

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. Just to be sure, ya'll think I'm on the right track going for a tenor, if I've got concerns about volume? Sound tends to drop off really fast outdoors when I'm busking and I want to make sure I can carry at least to the next booth or so.

I would go with the Kala than the Lanikai.

How come? What's the Kala offer (besides the totally sweet tweed case, which to be honest, is nothing to sneeze at)?

This is just personal preference; I like Kala as a brand better, I think acacia wood is prettier, I think the Kala is a better looking instrument, I like chrome tuners than gold on the Lanikai, I prefer no-cutaway than a cutaway, I don't care for the electronics on the Lanikai but if I want to install a pick-up on the Kala, I have a choice of installing a high end pick-up such as a MiSi or a L.R. Baggs 5.O. in the future. Just my preference and the case helps too. :)

Last edited:
That acacia IS something else. And those inlays aren't anything to sneeze at, either.

I've never been a fan of the Kala headstock shape, though, and I do love gold hardware.

We'll see how it turns out....

That acacia IS something else. And those inlays aren't anything to sneeze at, either.

I've never been a fan of the Kala headstock shape, though, and I do love gold hardware.

We'll see how it turns out....

Good luck! We're excited to see what you end up with either way. As you can tell, we like to live vicariously through other peoples uke purchases. :)

Haha. I can relate to that!

I'll keep you posted...neither of those seem like bad instruments,that's for sure...

Sure did. The seller couldn't have be nicer and better to work with.

Top Bottom