NUD: Blue Star Electric Baritone Konablaster custom

13down

Reaction score
This is a custom-built electric ukulele from Blue Star Guitars.

In the video it's unplugged. It already has a good tone even unamplified. Amplified, it sounds a bit like an older Telecaster. Thankfully it weighs about 1/3 as much as a Tele.

It is definitely the same size as a normal baritone, too. It makes for an easy transition.

Looks awesome. Earlier this year I purchased a custom electric tenor from Blue Star guitar and I love it. It looks great, feels great, and plays like a dream. We went simple and straightforward on the tenor. This was my first custom build, and my first electric

I had considered a Vorson, an Eleuke, a Teton and a RISA stick. I liked the look of the RISA LP, but was not sold on the price. The others seemed a bit of a crap shoot in terms of quality. Based on various electric uke threads I decided to contact Bruce Heron at Blue Star Guitar. I left an inquiry on the web site and Bruce responded within a day or two. We talked quite a bit about music in general and my playing aspirations. I made requests, he made recommendations, I sent a deposit, and off he went. Periodically Bruce would contact me when he needed direct input; otherwise, I let him do his thing.

Blue Star makes custom builds possible for everyday people. I already know that I am going to get a custom baritone in the next year. I am going to probably go a little fancier, a little flashier with my next custom Blue Star. But mostly I am gonna set a budget with Bruce and then let him do his thing again. I am not immune to UAS. I may still get a vorson for my nephew to play; maybe a risa lp if I win the lottery, but honestly, there is something cool about getting an instrument with a lifetime warranty, built just for me, by an American luthier.

Congrats on your new baby. Its totally awesome.

That's exactly my experience with Bruce!

If you are getting a baritone, though, know that his standard model, with a humbucker and no tone knob, is optimized for heavy rock. He actually told me that he based it on Eddie Van Halen's frankenstrat (which also has a humbucker and a volume knob, and nothing else), and explained to me how that configuration is good for heavy music. That was just one of the many things he explained - he was super good about explaining and giving examples.

Anyway, glad to know you had a similarly good experience with Blue Star.

Since I bought the tenor a few months ago, Bruce has checked in a couple of times to see how I like it. He is using feedback from my tenor experience to make some adjustments to the baritone in progress. He pretty much will work with you based on your budget and playing style/aspirations which I think is cool.

Top Bottom