How did you find UU?

I was like a blind squirrel tripping on a nut.
I like it. :shaka:

I think it happened when I was YouTubing ukulele videos and found Aldrine and the NAMM videos (I was shopping for my first ukulele) and then went on to see his music videos, and then eventually found his oversoul channel on there. The NAMM videos led me to UU, if I remember correctly. That was sometime in early 2013. I joined the forum a few weeks later, if memory serves.

Thank you Veterans!

Phil, what do you mean by bad mouthing Curmudgeons? I spent 57 years trying to get into that Club!

I bought a uke last September. At the time I was working on the "Vie en Rose" First thing I Googled on was a video list with "La Vie en Rose - Ukulele". Listened to a couple of nice versions and a lot of not-so-nice versions. It actually was a positive encouragement to me. I knew I could do at least that well. After that it seemed that most of the ukulele related topics I Googled on had a tie-in to this Ukulele-Underground site. I checked it out and lurked... for about a half an hour... My kind of People! I signed up.

I googled the word "nongdam" and it pointed me here.

Pretty sure I googled "what uke to buy" and this place came up.

I am sure I was looking for ukulele chords to a song.

Saw a UU shirt at the 2010 Oahu Ukulele Festival and googled it on my phone.

Metafilter. (Do people even hang out on Metafilter anymore??) It was 2009 and I had just started playing again and had NO IDEA that ukulele was "a thing" - I just thought it was the instrument that I had played as a little kid and wanted to come back to as an adult, it never occurred to me that there were others who would be into it. Then one day on MeFi there was a post about ukulele resources on the web. And I found out that ukulele was "a thing" very quickly after that :)

Gifted a Kala mahogany concert in December 2011, started playing, caught the bug, searched the interwebs for tunes and instruments, then...

I googled something like "buy beginner ukulele" and ukulele hunt+UU popped up....

I don't think there was much competition when I first found UU. I think that was in 2007. It looked quite a bit different then. There are others now of course but UU remains the primary one stop forum for all things ukulele. I was a member of a handful of forums for a while but this is the only one I participate in now. I don't even look at the others. I'm a forum monogamist.

Last edited:
The subject line gave me a chuckle because whenever I see something referred to as "UU" my 1st thought is Unitarian Universalist. (Yes,I am one!) So I had to read the first post & then had to laugh. To be honest,I can't recall how I found this place but I can tell you it was while I was online. ;)

Top Bottom