Luthiers Post your coolest build....:)

Somehow I think if I posted my grizzly kit build I would get my ass kicked!

@Pete Howlett, Those ebony resonators are beautiful! Works of art, great job!

Wow! I love this thread!

Beau,

When I say I want to up my game and produce better rosettes, I never expect in a million years to produce anything approaching the craftsmanship that you exhibit with your rosettes, endgrafts, backstrips and headstocks: they are just amazing!

Beau,

When I say I want to up my game and produce better rosettes, I never expect in a million years to produce anything approaching the craftsmanship that you exhibit with your rosettes, endgrafts, backstrips and headstocks: they are just amazing!

Thanks greenscoe- I wasn't doing this kinda stuff 5 years ago at Gilet Guitars in Sydney Australia. It wasn't until I left the nest that i started to ruffle my own feathers and started peacocking like this hahahha. Just practice your mitering and you'll be able to do the same stuff- its pretty easy really, just time consuming.
Funnily enough, my favorite inlay is Chuck Moore's Peacock headstock- THAT is an amazing work of art.

My daughter Eleanor was Dorothy in the High School production of the Wizard of Oz. She has a wonderful stage voice.
This was built as a graduation present. Bluebirds over the rainbow. The 'notes' on the fingerboard are the notes from "over the rainbow"

Attachments

• IMG_7044.jpg
    IMG_7044.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_7046.jpg
    IMG_7046.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_7053.jpg
    IMG_7053.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 140
Here is one of my Killer-Ukes. This one is called Inpetto.
Steelstring, magnetic pickup, Oliveoil can body
attachment.php

more of these and others can be seen and heard at www.nb-instrument.com

Attachments

• Inpetto_F.jpg
    Inpetto_F.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 407
Last edited:
For me, my coolest uke is usually the one most recently completed. Here's one that shipped out today. Gorgeous, multicolored and curly mango soundbox with amboyna burl trim, Spanish cedar neck, East Indian rosewood fretboard and bridge, faux tortoise binding, and PegHed tuners.Zukulele #35.jpgZukulele #35 headstock.jpg

Custom almost done

Being built for me by Ricky Claffey in Scotland an amazing luthier....sourced all the woods myself and had them shipped to Scotland. African Blackwwod, sinker redwood, Honduran mahogany neck.

Last edited:
My daughter Eleanor was Dorothy in the High School production of the Wizard of Oz. She has a wonderful stage voice.
This was built as a graduation present. Bluebirds over the rainbow. The 'notes' on the fingerboard are the notes from "over the rainbow"

Wow, that's nice. How did you do the lines in the staff?

The amount of incredibly beautiful artistry in this thread is mindboggling. Thanks to all for sharing.

I'll post this one again when it's ready. I figure it'll be about 6 weeks before it's ready to pull.

I always thought they grew headstock down, like roots. You learn something new every day.

Chuck Moore - the staff lines are holly veneer, on edge. I made a pattern for the curves, and a router base for the dremmel which had a template follower hanging down. I then cut using the curve pattern with a 1/32 bit. Moved the pattern over in parallel, cut the next staff line, etc.

Top Bottom