The drunk guy at our gig last night

In the dance halls in Louisiana the band stand is frequently protected by chicken wire.

Wow! I saw the chicken wire thing in a movie, The Blues Brothers IIRC? I thought it was a joke. This thread lends new meaning to the lines in the Zac Brown Band's "Lance's song".
"Another night of playing to a crowd with no ears
They want to hear the songs they know
And fill their bellies full of beer.

If you embark upon a "career" of bar and restaurant gigs it makes sense to pre-plan a little. Bar gigs can get hairy lots of times and restaurant gigs too. Talk to the management when you have problems such as you mentioned last night. You are there to entertain the customers and as such are entitled to some protection. The management should handle the troublemakers. Make sure the management is aware of this and develop a "High Sign" if necessary. Bars frequently have a bouncer. In the dance halls in Louisiana the band stand is frequently protected by chicken wire. I could tell you war stories but there is no need. You have your own war story now. Its part of the business.

Well, FYI, we have been playing restaurant gigs for almost 10 years, and we are experienced restaurant players. We don't really play at bars.

I used to gig quite a bit in the 70's and 80's. I majored in music on trumpet and worked with a jazz quintet. We had a regular gig one summer in a restaurant/bar in the northwest part of Conn. We played three nights a week. There was a patron who was always there and was always drunk and obnoxious. I think he may have been a part time bartender there. The manager was a total asshole who did nothing to keep this fool in line. He would grab waitresses and drag them out to dance and would swing his arms wildly. One evening he pulled his usual act and was dancing way to close to the bandstand. Our bass player played upright and electric. He had a beautiful upright bass that was worth 20 grand back then. On this particular song he was playing electric and this fool almost fell on his upright. Charlie our bassist took his electric and nailed the guy real hard in the ribs with the tuning pegs. He never danced anywhere near the bandstand again for the rest of the summer.

Last edited:
I used to gig quite a bit in the 70's and 80's. I majored in music on trumpet and worked with a jazz quintet. We had a regular gig one summer in a restaurant/bar in the northwest part of Conn. We played three nights a week. There was a patron who was always there and was always drunk and obnoxious. I think he may have been a part time bartender there. The manager was a total asshole who did nothing to keep this fool in line. He would grab waitresses and drag them out to dance and would swing his arms wildly. One evening he pulled his usual act and was dancing way to close to the bandstand. Our bass player played upright and electric. He had a beautiful upright bass that was worth 20 grand back then. On this particular song he was playing electric and this fool almost fell on his upright. Charlie our bassist took his electric and nailed the guy real hard in the ribs with the tuning pegs. He never danced anywhere near the bandstand again for the rest of the summer.

There you go, nice.

I've twice seen thrown objects break the necks of fiddles, (while they were being played no less). It immediately ended the show in both cases. One instance was in a bar, one wasn't.

Ask Gerald Ross about the drunken woman at Mighty Mo UkeFest last year. The owners of the venue told me they had experience with her and were afraid of what she might do if confronted. Everyone was horrified.

Top Bottom