UAS or just Greed?

I read all of the above and I have watched a number of episodes of hoarding shows. pretty much all of those people have been psychologically damaged for life by abusive parental upbringing. Every item on the hoarding scale correlates with abusive dysfunctional upbringing; perfectionistic, unpleasable, shaming & blaming parents. There is usually substance abuse somewhere in the generational background. It can cause all of thses behaviors and more:

Parental Criticism
.27*
Doubting of Actions
.35*
Parental Expectations
.28*
Personal Standards
.24*
Concern Over Mistakes

So yes, finding something that most of us equate with joy is a way of self medicating; more joy making devices = more joy. If we add in appreciation of the artistic qualities of instruments then there is satisfaction of acquiring functional art (raises hand) that is aesthetically pleasing in addition to bringing joy through playing. There is also a satisfaction in goal setting and achieving those goals. I for example come from a family where one entire side is or were musicians, and my grandfather was a famous bandleader. But they were all such narcissistic dysfuntional abusers/abused that no one ever thought of asking me if I wanted to play an instrument or offered lessons. I was tossed aside by my family and was salvaged by another grandparent, that one person asked "Would you like to play piano?" because she did and could teach me, and I tried but I was only 12 and couldn't really get into it.

I did want to play guitar but there was no money, and I finally got one at around 17 that I bought from a neighbor, but there was nothing available to me to learn but a chord book and trying to teach myself musical notation. There were no tab books. Plus it was a steel string and hurt to play. I didn't try again until my mid to late 20s when I was given a small body student classical guitar and I sat and watched Frederic Noad every Saturday morning on PBS.

Now I am making up for lost time!

However I have also bought AND SOLD a few dozen ukes and have found the ones that fit the best so am moving a lot more out. I think that is also part of the impulse to buy, thinking that this one will sound better or that one will make me a better player. My only other hobbies are riding my 13 year old mountain bike or my motorcycle, and messing around with art. I used to have a lot more interests, I had horses for 30 years, I roasted my own coffee, I was a computer nerd, I sold antiques, I collected native Americana and other tribal art, I was a sculptor and painter; now I am just too tired. Also less is more.

Last edited:
Olarte, I think I've said it before, but I'll say it again....congratulations on beating CA. right now I am with a 28 yr old female who is dying of CA. It sucks. The sadness hangs over this house like a black cloud. It's taking it's toll on hte nurses, too. I wish I could play for her, I think it might help.
Fred, thanks for this research article on hoarding and OCD. They are both results of severe control issues, and I can totally relate.
I work every day on compulsivness, control, and other issues like codependency. I think UAS is a cool thing, fun to talk about, I love seeeing people's new ukes....who cares, as long as it doens't hurt anyone?
I watched a guy win 2 ukes at TBUG, the crowd moaned and started to boo, so I started applauding him. Then a whole bunch of people did.
So it was his lucky day and not mine, so what? At least I don't have CA. And I bet his UAS is in remission right about now.
Teek, I just saw your post. My laptop is weird. Yes, less is more. I'm plannng to get work done on two of my ukes, I love customzing things, like I did my Hogs. I really don't need anymore ukes, I can't justify it financially, as long as I am in debt and still working a job. I'm behind on tithing, because I missed church two weeks ina row, but I'll get caught up and pay them interest!
I have no qualms whatever about people having 10, 20, 50, even 100 ukes. I wouldn't have room for more than about 6 at our house anyway.

Last edited:
Nickie, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. That's a tough pill to swallow. One of the reasons why I did not hesitate to get the surgery done which was not an easy decision or experience is because I've been watching my sister in law fight for her life as she is quickly approaching the end with an aggressive form of cancer now on stage 4. I realized how lucky I was to have the chance to battle Cancer early and make a full recovery if I was brave enough to go through with it.

As for ukulele people, the Uke seems to attract a very special kind of beings. People who are happy, friendly and willing to enjoy the simple things in life. I love the story about the double winner, only in our Uke community could one person turn a booing crowd into a cheering one. You certainly had that Aloha spirit!

Olarte, I think I've said it before, but I'll say it again....congratulations on beating CA. right now I am with a 28 yr old female who is dying of CA. It sucks. The sadness hangs over this house like a black cloud. It's taking it's toll on hte nurses, too. I wish I could play for her, I think it might help.
Fred, thanks for this research article on hoarding and OCD. They are both results of severe control issues, and I can totally relate.
I work every day on compulsivness, control, and other issues like codependency. I think UAS is a cool thing, fun to talk about, I love seeeing people's new ukes....who cares, as long as it doens't hurt anyone?
I watched a guy win 2 ukes at TBUG, the crowd moaned and started to boo, so I started applauding him. Then a whole bunch of people did.
So it was his lucky day and not mine, so what? At least I don't have CA. And I bet his UAS is in remission right about now.

Last edited:
Thank you Olarte.....actually I am one of her nurses....the only one she wants on weekends....so I'm stuck working whole weekends for a while...but it's some OT....and we've bonded. She's a very sweet kid, gets almost no visitors. Her fiance is burned out on taking care of her....he's pretty "not present". I just want to cry. But I think she does enough of that for both of us. She just lost her appetite....it's a b---- trying to get her pain under control, a constant battle. It's amazing how much of thier pain is emotional....and I'm really sorry tohear about your sister. I'm so glad UU is full of ohana.....and aloha spirit!

Last edited:
Nickie I LOVE nurses. God bless you! :bowdown:

Speaking of special people, I think it takes a very special and giving kind of person to be a nurse. Doctors may be there to diagnose, cut, and heal you but nurses are there to care for you and to make you feel safe and secure when you need it the most.

I have nothing but fond memories of nurses that have reassured me before procedures and have been there right after to take care of me and make me feel safe and secure. Not just from the Prostate surgery but as far back as when I had ear surgery at 9.

In hindsight, I would have loved to have been a nurse, I'm serious. And yes I know it's never too late but for me I'm too selfish and thirsty for life to change careers at this point in my life. :eek:ld: I rather spend my non-working hours playing Uke and resting than going back to school.

Olarte, I totally get it....I don't want any more nursing school either. I love what I do, but I'm ready to retire. Daily telling the Universe to help me get my biz off the ground! Then I can have all the ukes I want! LOL

Nickie, so sorry to hear this. You both are in my prayers.

Olarte - I'm glad that you're getting on with your life so soon after your surgery. Eleven years ago I was diagnosed with prostate cancer as well and, like you, I decided that I wanted to get the cancer out of me ASAP and opted for surgery. I have been cancer free for eleven years now, but in that time I have lost my youngest brother, my sister-in-law and my good friend and musical partner to cancer. It is a terrible disease and we must do all we can to eradicate it. I will be playing at a benefit concert for the brother of a friend who is fighting an aggressive cancer on the weekend.
I enjoyed your playing very much.

The only instrument I play while driving is the acapella.

About five or six years back, I played a weekend gig in Wilno, a couple of hours away from my home. A law had been recently passed requiring oly the use of "hands free devices" while driving I Ontario. It was late at night and a long boring drive, so I decided to practise my harmonica usig the neck rack. While I was sure that this would qualify as a "hands free device" I was later advised by a friend who was a police officer that I should avoid doing this in the future.
It reminded me of Bryan Bowers, the Autoharp virtuoso, who put suicide knobs at 5 o'clock and 7 o'clock on the steering wheel of his truck so that he could pracise the Autoharp while steering with his knees...definitely not a hands free device.

Thread drift - Spell check tells me that there is no such word as "practise". It has always been my understanding that "practise" is a verb and "practice" is a noun. For example - "We are going to have a choir practice to practise the new song."

Last edited:
Well, this thread went in a much "deeper" direction than I had expected when I originally posted it. I meant for it to be bit more light-hearted than it turned out. But, the way it's gone has taught me--no, REMINDED me, because it's evident on here so often--that this UU Community is really made up of an amazing bunch of people. And it's also reminded me of how powerful music is, and how easily accessible the ukulele makes music.

I do find it odd that I'm quick to consider getting another uke when I've just gotten a new one. And it must be a uke thing, because I don't do that with other items in my life. I DO need to keep a watch on the wallet--having 6 kids all under the age of 17 makes for an expensive shopping list most weeks. So I'm trying to sell my Ohana Tenor to pay for the Fluke I just got. Haven't decided yet on the plastic concert.

But having read all the comments on here, I'm inclined to take more risks, enjoy more music, live more fully, and experience all the joy I can.

Thanks guys.

I do find it odd that I'm quick to consider getting another uke when I've just gotten a new one. And it must be a uke thing, because I don't do that with other items in my life. I DO need to keep a watch on the wallet--having 6 kids all under the age of 17 makes for an expensive shopping list most weeks. So I'm trying to sell my Ohana Tenor to pay for the Fluke I just got. Haven't decided yet on the plastic concert.

it looks like you have a mainland gecko. That should be everything you need for portability. You can get a plastic but IMHO they don't ever sound as good as a laminate top.

It's great to have a fluke in your arsenal but it seems more like a good ukulele to have in your arsenal. I'm not sure I'd be happy with just a fluke by itself even though it's really a great ukulele. Perhaps it's the unique sound and large size...

The Mainland Gecko does not have proper intonation. If I play through the scale starting with the C string, the next note is flat. I don't know enough about how to fix that (I'll put that question in the Luthier's Lounge threads) so I don't really play it at all. The tuners don't hold tuning much at all either. Again, this is all stuff I need to figure out how to fix. The Fluke is the only (and first) concert size uke I have and I'm loving it! That's why I'm looking at the plastic concert.

(And I'm not complaining about the Gecko--it was a gift, so I'm grateful for it. It just doesn't work quite right yet.)

I would never classify collecting ukes as "greed". Why are you punishing yourself for doing something you obviously enjoy? You're helping the American economy by buying these ukuleles,helping the makers of them keep their jobs,playing the uke to spread happiness and joy. You'll be able to pass on these instruments to the next generation by leaving them in your will. I still have my grandmothers banjo uke. Had she thought of herself as "greedy" I wouldn't have this heirloom in my hands now. Go get that uke.

The trouble with UAS is the secondary infections that come with it, commonly known as Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS).

You have that nice uke so you think you'll make a video for You Tube so you can show it off and. The built in mic on your laptop is pretty crap so you need a better one.... Then you need a better recording device as the built in input on the laptop is pretty naff and there's loads of hiss.... Well you've got a dynamic mic, wouldn't a condenser mic be better? .... Oh the small diaphragm condenser mic's OKish but a large diaphragm one would be even better and..... Don't forget a better amp for that electric uke you have...... and you have to have some effects pedals to go with it...............

Remember: Anything guitars can do we can do better :music: :cheers:

Top Bottom