Descent amp for a new player/home practice.

jwk1977

Reaction score
Looking for suggestions on a cheaper amp for jamming out at home. Doesn't need to be super loud but would like some decent punch/range. I will probably try and get used one for under $100. Will be starting out using a soprano Mainland with a JJB artist series prestige pickup without a preamp. Will probably want to install a pickup on a Pono tenor as well. I'm guessing I will eventually get a preamp also.

I'll leave the recommendations on amps to others, but I recommend getting a Behringer ADI-21 for a good, cheap ($20-30) preamp.

You can get a new one in that price range that you can also perform with live in a noisy club:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Kustom-PA50-Personal-PA-System-106388085-i1934071.gc

H74861000000000_IMAGE_01

H74861000000000_IMAGE_03

H74861000000000_IMAGE_05

Kustom PA50 Personal PA System Specifications:

Output Power 1%: 50W – 8-ohm load
Accepted Inputs:
CH 1& 2 – mic XLR balanced, line level 1/4” un-balanced
CH 3 – 1=8” headphone/line level stereo, mixed mono
Frequency Response: 20Hz – 20kHz (actual response is tailored to speaker cabinet for accurate acoustical response.
Hum & Noise:
-56dB - residual noise, all level controls 0% (minimum)
-48dB – nominal system noise, all level controls at 50%
System Gain (@1kHz):
+70dB – Mic to speaker output (Ch. 1&2)
+56dB – Line to speaker output (Ch. 1&2)
+42dB – AUX in to speaker out
Channel EQ (high, low): 42kHz and above, 800Hz and below
SYNC (in and out): Both jacks accept a balances input and sends a pre-master volume output mix of channels. Recommended use: linking two PW100T’s together.
Subwoofer Out: Line out 20Hz-150Hz
Phantom Power: +15V mic inputs (Ch. 1&2)
Power Requirements: USA/Canada 120VAC/60Hz, 160W nominal
Speakers: Four 4-1/2” " 50W 4-ohm each
Horn: 3-1/2” Piezo driver
Power Capacity: 100W RMS
Frequency Response:
60Hz-20kHz (Full range / subwoofer jack not used)
150Hz-20kHz (Crossover active / ¼” mono plug in subwoofer jack)
Nominal Impedance: 4-ohms (not designed for external speakers)
Dimensions (WxHxD): 7-1/2” x 20 x 6-1/2”
Weight: 18lb.

For a little bit more you can get a professional acoustic amp with effects, anti-feedback control and an active D.I. out to plug into a house P.A.:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Acoustic-A20-20W-Acoustic-Guitar-Amplifier-110158136-i3664739.gc

J08023000001000_IMAGE_00

J08023000001000_IMAGE_01

J08023000001000_IMAGE_03

J08023000001000_IMAGE_04

Acoustic A20 20W Acoustic Guitar Amplifier Features:

Power: 20W
8” full-range co-axial speaker
Dual inputs with combo XLR-1/4” jacks
Ported cabinet design
3-band EQ
Digital chorus with adjustable rate
Digital reverb with adjustable level
Vari-control feedback elimination
Full-feature direct output with ground lift, pre-post EQ and level
Effects loop

...and if you buy today, Guitar Center's Flash Deal:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Harbinger-APS12-12--Powered-PA-Speaker-105488282-i1474995.gc

620806000000000_IMAGE_00

620806000000000_IMAGE_01

620806000000000_IMAGE_02

620806000000000_IMAGE_04

Harbinger APS12 12" Powered PA Speaker Features:

2-way, full-range powered speaker with 12" woofer and a 1-3/8" compression driver
150W RMS, convection-cooled, Class A/B amplifier
3-channel mic/line mixer
2 mic/line input channels with individual balanced and unbalanced connections
1 dual RCA/Single XLR line input for playback devices such as MP3, CD players, and more
5-band graphic EQ
Individual balanced and unbalanced line outputs for connecting other powered speakers
Built-in stand mount
LED clip Indicator

Harbinger APS12 12" Powered PA Speaker Specifications:

Frequency response (-3dB): 45Hz-20kHz
Frequency Range (-6dB): 40Hz-20kHz
Max SPL Long-term@1m: 97dB
Max SPL Peak@1m: 119dB
Crossover: 18dB/oct@3.6kHz (passive)

Mic Input:
Input Type: 2 bal. XLR & bal. 1/4"
Input Impedance: 3kO
Input Sensitivity: -46dBu

Line Input:
Input Type: bal. XLR/bal. RCA
Input Impedance: 10kO
Input Sensitivity: -26dBu

Equalizer:
Type: 5-band Graphic Equalizer
Frequency: 250Hz/750Hz/2kHz/6kHz/12kHz
Equalize Range: ±12dB

Power Amplifer:
Rated Output Power: 135W
Max Output Power: 150W
Power Supply: 110V/120V 50/60Hz
Max Power Consumption: 207VA
Rated THD: <0.5%(20Hz-20kHz)
Frequency response: +1/-2dB (20Hz-20kHz)
Cooling: Convection Extrusion
Design: Class A/B
Dimensions (H x W x D): 25-13/16"x 16-13/16"x 13"
Weight 35.9 lb.

I'll leave the recommendations on amps to others, but I recommend getting a Behringer ADI-21 for a good, cheap ($20-30) preamp.

Absolutely! An active DI box like the ADI21 allows acoustic electric instruments to sound more natural when amplified:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/373653-REG/Behringer_ADI21_V_TONE_ACOUSTIC_ADI21.html

373653.jpg

IMG_13634.jpg

The Behringer V-Tone Acoustic ADI21 is a versatile stomp box designed to enhance performance with acoustic guitar in both live and studio settings. With an effective Three Band EQ, Tube/Microphone Emulation, and a Ground Lift Switch to combat unwanted hum, the ADI21 offers greater control over the range of acoustic possibilities, without compromising the integrity of the sound.

Tube/Microphone Emulation Authentic tube/microphone modeling circuitry provides the equivalent natural warmth and presence as an acoustic guitar miked through a tube pre-amp. Three Band EQ With Mid Frequency Sweep The ADI21's EQ controls allow for greater flexibility of tone, as well as providing a defense against feedback and a means of eliminating the harsh harmonics of certain pickups. Direct Injection Output A dual Direct Injection (DI) mode is controlled by a durable footswitch, enabling the player to alternate between tube/microphone emulation and standard DI in bypass mode. Super-High Impedance The input and outputs are wired to retain maximum signal integrity and dynamics. Ground Lift Switch This switch helps to combat typical ground loop problems, such as 50/60 kHz hum. Other Uses The ADI21, while designed with acoustic guitar in mind, is a versatile component that can be used with other instruments to create new sounds. It can also be connected directly to the microphone input or auxiliary send/return of a mixing console for live or studio applications respectively.

Hi guys!

I'm a little late to this thread, but it's Black Friday time and I'm scrambling to figure out what I need to buy. I'm a beginner (to the uke and music playing in general), about one year in, and just recently got myself a Kala tenor with pickup. I've had a chance to borrow a Line 6 Micro amp, and now I want something similar to own. My initial intention was to get something for in-house practice, but with the equipment listed above I think it wouldn't hurt to consider what I may need down the road should I really get into playing in front of many others.

I'm quite interested in the Kustom PA50 system and will probably get the Behringer ADI20 for my Kala if I were to go this route. My question is regarding mic use: is there device (and what is it called?) that I can plug my mic into for effects (at the least, some echo or reverb and volume control) that I can then plug into the Kustom? And, if I'm already planning to use the Behringer preamp plus a mic effects device, is there an all-in-one option? One that acts as a preamp and and for mic effects? I'm looking for a more cost-effective setup at this time while I'm building up my skills. My immediate future looks like some practice sessions with family members, and so I think a PA system where we can have a few instruments plugged in would be awesome. Oh, this reminds me of another question: are there any suggestions for a device I can use to record what's coming through the Kustom PA? I'd like to record these family jams if possible.

I'm going through this Guitar Center Gift Guide thinking "What's this for" and "I need this!" and not necessarily in that order. I'd appreciate any input as I'm a freshman to music, and I can already see this year's holiday spending go pretty bad pretty fast.

Thanks!
-Kat

Those new Acoustic amps seem pretty nice. I have an old tank a 1980's Acoustic Model 165 in walnut and oak sitting in a Calzone case. I need to take her out on a date its been awhile.

Did I read somewhere that ukuleles sound better through bass amps?

~AL~

My question is regarding mic use: is there device (and what is it called?) that I can plug my mic into for effects (at the least, some echo or reverb and volume control) that I can then plug into the Kustom? And, if I'm already planning to use the Behringer preamp plus a mic effects device, is there an all-in-one option? One that acts as a preamp and and for mic effects? I'm looking for a more cost-effective setup at this time while I'm building up my skills. My immediate future looks like some practice sessions with family members, and so I think a PA system where we can have a few instruments plugged in would be awesome. Oh, this reminds me of another question: are there any suggestions for a device I can use to record what's coming through the Kustom PA? I'd like to record these family jams if possible.

I'm going through this Guitar Center Gift Guide thinking "What's this for" and "I need this!" and not necessarily in that order. I'd appreciate any input as I'm a freshman to music, and I can already see this year's holiday spending go pretty bad pretty fast.

Thanks!
-Kat

What you are looking for is a vocal processor. They start around $200 bucks and go up from there, Kat. They can add a lot of variety to your vocals, such as harmonies. In live situations I rarely add effects like reverb to vocals as most rooms/clubs have natural reverberation. Ric

Did I read somewhere that ukuleles sound better through bass amps?

~AL~

They sound better through bass amps than they do through electric guitar amps, but not as nice as through acoustic purpose amps. If the pickup is passive, an actiive DI box, such as the LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI or the Behringer ADI21 will make the sound more natural. Ric

My immediate future looks like some practice sessions with family members, and so I think a PA system where we can have a few instruments plugged in would be awesome. Oh, this reminds me of another question: are there any suggestions for a device I can use to record what's coming through the Kustom PA? I'd like to record these family jams if possible.

-Kat

The 1/4" instrument inputs and the microphone inputs on channels 1 and 2 can all be used at the same time, so you can plug 2 microphones and 2 instruments into the PA50.

On the bottom back of the PA50 you'll see "SYNC". The XLR male and female are both line level inputs/outputs that you can use to plug into other sound equipment.

For simple recording, you could use an app on a phone or tablet. Ric

Ended up buying an acoustic brand g20 at a pawn shop. It seems pretty good so far I think I probably need some kind of preamp or effects pedal to get a little cleaner sound though. Any suggestions?

Absolutely! An active DI box like the ADI21 allows acoustic electric instruments to sound more natural when amplified:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/373653-REG/Behringer_ADI21_V_TONE_ACOUSTIC_ADI21.html

373653.jpg

IMG_13634.jpg

The Behringer V-Tone Acoustic ADI21 is a versatile stomp box designed to enhance performance with acoustic guitar in both live and studio settings. With an effective Three Band EQ, Tube/Microphone Emulation, and a Ground Lift Switch to combat unwanted hum, the ADI21 offers greater control over the range of acoustic possibilities, without compromising the integrity of the sound.

Tube/Microphone Emulation Authentic tube/microphone modeling circuitry provides the equivalent natural warmth and presence as an acoustic guitar miked through a tube pre-amp. Three Band EQ With Mid Frequency Sweep The ADI21's EQ controls allow for greater flexibility of tone, as well as providing a defense against feedback and a means of eliminating the harsh harmonics of certain pickups. Direct Injection Output A dual Direct Injection (DI) mode is controlled by a durable footswitch, enabling the player to alternate between tube/microphone emulation and standard DI in bypass mode. Super-High Impedance The input and outputs are wired to retain maximum signal integrity and dynamics. Ground Lift Switch This switch helps to combat typical ground loop problems, such as 50/60 kHz hum. Other Uses The ADI21, while designed with acoustic guitar in mind, is a versatile component that can be used with other instruments to create new sounds. It can also be connected directly to the microphone input or auxiliary send/return of a mixing console for live or studio applications respectively.

Just saw this, will have to pick one up. Thanks.

The Acoustic G20 is an electric guitar amplifier:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...d-guitar-series-g20-20w-1x10-guitar-combo-amp

This is not a bad thing, especially for the price. The Rhythm Channel will give the cleanest sound available for that amp. Playing around with the Mid Shift will allow you to get the best use of the Mid control. Once you've found the best midrange tone using the Mid Shift, back down the Mid and Treble controls to mellow down the sound. With some experimentation with the Bass, Mid and Treble controls on your G20, you should be able to produce a nice sound. Here's the Owners Manual for your amp:

http://www.acousticamplification.com/prodImages/acousticAdmin/products/gallery/G20-Manual.pdf

image.jpgimage.jpgEnded up returning the Acoustic G20 and getting this little guy. Epiphone Studio Acoustic 15c, It sounds quite a bit better. Wondering if I still need the Behringer ADI21? Since this one is made for acoustic. I just have a a passive pickup with no preamp.

You don't need an ADI21, but it will make your 'ukulele sound more natural. Nice to see you got an acoustic instrument amplifier. It's a big difference from an electric guitar amplifier, in terms of clean, non-distorted sound quality :) Ric

Top Bottom