Custom Ukuleles

homerB

Reaction score
I have been looking at tenor ukuleles made by DeVine, DaSilva, and Beau Hannam? Any words of wisdom about making a choice?

Three incredibly talented builders. No possible way you could go wrong. At that level of skill, it really comes down to preferences. Contact each builder, describe what you're looking for, and see who's the best fit. But I guarantee you any one of those gentleman will build you a fantastic instrument.

Let's see now...........do I want the Porsche, the Ferrari, or the Lamborgini. As RichM said you cannot go wrong with any of them, just depends who's style you bond with and dig the most.

Wise replies . . . contact each and discuss your needs and expectations and determine if one fits the bill. Don't think you'll go wrong with anyone of them.

Here's a wise suggestion. Buy anything any of those three builders will sell you. ANYTHING.

Would help if you developed some idea at least "approximating" what you want in this uke. Size, wood, tone, etc. etc. I'm sure they will want to know, etc.

Thank you all for these thoughts. I have played guitar for many years and have recently become enamored of the ukulele. I like an instrument with a complex tone. Warm, of course, is good, but not enough in my view to justify the expense of a custom instrument. There must be that something extra that identifies the maker.

Since you've played the guitar for a while, what are all the aspects of what you enjoy about it? Do you care about the way it looks? How it feels? How easy it is to play? What type of tone do you like? I'm sure all these things matter to you to some extent, but if you start prioritizing and getting specific about what you really want and what you're more flexible about, you can make some good decisions. Of course nothing beats talking to these luthiers.

Thank you all for these thoughts. I have played guitar for many years and have recently become enamored of the ukulele. I like an instrument with a complex tone. Warm, of course, is good, but not enough in my view to justify the expense of a custom instrument. There must be that something extra that identifies the maker.

For sure, of the list, all will have a very individual tone, which I've not heard in other builders. The remainder is preference. For what it is worth, my personal preference of that list is for Beau Hannam's ukes!

I just ran across this video interview with James Hill talking about what he likes and gives advice to people who are trying to get ukulele built . THere are three options and the best builders may only be able to offer two of them your choice is to decide which of those two options you want most. James talks about how his ukulele's top is a little concaved at the bridge but that means the wood was thin enough to make it "sing" if the wood was thicker it wouldn't sound as good. In a 20 min interview with pepe-romero.

http://liveukulele.com/interview-with-pepe-romero-jr-james-hill/

Brian --

This is very interesting. There was a photo recently of a ukulele by Mike DaSilva showing exactly such concavity. One of the comments was that many ukuleles exhibit this distinction.

I just ran across this video interview with James Hill talking about what he likes and gives advice to people who are trying to get ukulele built . THere are three options and the best builders may only be able to offer two of them your choice is to decide which of those two options you want most. James talks about how his ukulele's top is a little concaved at the bridge but that means the wood was thin enough to make it "sing" if the wood was thicker it wouldn't sound as good. In a 20 min interview with pepe-romero.

http://liveukulele.com/interview-with-pepe-romero-jr-james-hill/

I have been looking at tenor ukuleles made by DeVine, DaSilva, and Beau Hannam? Any words of wisdom about making a choice?

You might want to consider adding John S.Kinnard Ukuleles into the mix. You are looking at first rate Luthiers!! John S. Kinnard ranks up there with the very best of them.

I trust you don't mind waiting a year or so in the least to get it. Guess the best words of wisdom would be to take the one who will accept the commission.

I trust you don't mind waiting a year or so in the least to get it. Guess the best words of wisdom would be to take the one who will accept the commission.

good one Pat...i am sure all three will accept your deposit and commission....but their delivery times may not be what they promise.....do your homework and you should be fine.....

I have been looking at tenor ukuleles made by DeVine, DaSilva, and Beau Hannam? Any words of wisdom about making a choice?[/QUOT

YOU MISSED CHUCK MOORE MAN... :) RU KIDDING ME

True true....Chuck is the master. Hope to be blessed with a MB at some point.
When I was looking it was Chuck Moore,Rick Turner,and Devine. Only advice to give is listen to videos and hear the sound as best you can. Even better if you can go to get togethers where people have them to try in person.
Good luck on your journey. Good stuff looking at customs.;)

I did not miss Chuck Moore. I am not kidding you. By all reports, he seems to be in a class of his own. Unfortunately, he seems to have taken himself out of the game. He no longer accepts customers onto his waiting list. And I have seen none of his ukuleles for sale. I have listened to the you tube recordings on his website and they are all great.
YOU MISSED CHUCK MOORE MAN... :) RU KIDDING ME

How long are you willing to wait for a custom from these master builders? I agree with Rich M that any instrument from them would be worth having. But unless you have something very specific in mind there are beautiful Compass Rose ukuleles from Rick Turner available right now from Gryphon Stringed Instruments.

You could pick-up a fabulous instrument today!

You might want to consider adding John S.Kinnard Ukuleles into the mix. You are looking at first rate Luthiers!! John S. Kinnard ranks up there with the very best of them.

John's ukes are a veritable bargain and can often be had on a much shorter time table (in fact, he often has ukes available on his web site). I've played about six Kinnards and each was really, really nice.

Top Bottom