Full Face Respirators

Moore Bettah Ukuleles

Reaction score
I'm looking for a respirator that will also protect my eyes. This would be great not only for dusty work but also when doing my ca pore filling. Kent Everett turned me onto the Aircap but it is no longer available. Closest thing I can find is the Trend Airshield Pro but it's heavy. Both units supply air via battery powered fan but the Aircap's source is remote so the weight is not sitting on your head. Does anyone know where I can find an Aircap or similar product?

Attachments

• aircap.jpg
    aircap.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 57
  • trend airshield pro.jpeg
    trend airshield pro.jpeg
    5.9 KB · Views: 57
Chuck,

About a year ago I purchased a JSP Powercap Active. They are made in England. I paid around $320 US with shipping. It is a light weight unit and very comfortable. I like the screw in filters. I haven't changed them yet and just vacuum them free of dust when needed. The face shield is lightweight, it would keep CA splashes from your eyes but with the air intake on top of your head I would think the fumes would be about the same. I haven't used other power face shields so can not compare. I use mine for routing, resawing, and sanding.

http://www.jsp.co.uk/products/CAE602-941-100_PowerCap-reg-Active-IP-International-Plug

If I wanted to set up a station for doing CA pore filling I would buy one of these and use an old hair dryer and a flexible hose http://www.amazon.com/Sperian-Prote...83912&sr=1-4&keywords=face+shield+woodworking

Last edited:
Chuck, I actually gave away an Aircap that my father left behind, when he passed away. I would have gladly sent it to you.

It appears that the JSP powercap is only slightly lighter in weight than the Trend Airshield Pro... But, in both cases, the heavy components are placed in back, which makes a huge difference on the perceived weight on your noggin.

I can't speak for their actual performance, unfortunately, but either should do the trick. The alternative would be one of the 3M systems, but something like that would be triple the price.

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I found a good price here:

http://www.sitebox.ltd.uk/jsp-powercap-active-ip-oCAE602-241-100

I don't know the difference between the standard model and the IP model. As far as I can tell the IP model has a higher impact face shield.
It seems that 99% of these are sold in the UK. The one USA company (ToolBarn) wants $623 for it! I've never ordered anything from the UK before But I will this time.
@Mike, is the cartridge a standard 3 bayonet type that can be purchased anywhere here? I use a use a respirator with organic vapor cartridges in it now that do a good job at keeping ca fumes away. I usually do my pore filling in an outdoor type environment anyway. I am as much interested in protecting my eyes as my lungs. The reviews on the Trend are it's weight and bulk. The JSP Powercap seems to be a good choice. (Half the weight of the Trend). If it's not comfortable, I won't be wearing it.

Check this out, Chuck. I have 2 of them, and will part with one. It needs a little TLC, but the pump is still in good shape, it is simple, and parts to rebuild it are still available. The carbon vanes in it are still good. These are awesome!! You would need to find a face mask, as I think I only have one full face mask left. Masks for these can be found on ebay quite frequently. I used to own 3 of these when I was finishing full time. For some paints, they are an absolute necessity. If you are interested, PM me...

http://store.sassafety.com/respirat...ti-fit-fullface-mask-supplied-air-system.html

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...irator-for-Sale&highlight=supplied+respirator

Here's a pic of the JSP PowerCap. I'm not sure what it'll cost with the currency exchange and shipping from London but I'm guessing it'll be around $400.

Attachments

• POWERCAP_ACTIVE_IP.jpg
    POWERCAP_ACTIVE_IP.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 9
Check this out, Chuck. I have 2 of them, and will part with one. It needs a little TLC, but the pump is still in good shape, it is simple, and parts to rebuild it are still available. The carbon vanes in it are still good. These are awesome!! You would need to find a face mask, as I think I only have one full face mask left. Masks for these can be found on ebay quite frequently. I used to own 3 of these when I was finishing full time. For some paints, they are an absolute necessity. If you are interested, PM me...

http://store.sassafety.com/respirat...ti-fit-fullface-mask-supplied-air-system.html

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...irator-for-Sale&highlight=supplied+respirator

Thanks Chris, I actually have one of those units that I use when spraying lacquer. It works wonderfully well and I wouldn't spray without it. But I want something more portable and easier to use around the shop and not be tethered to a fresh air supply.

Chuck- have you tried the Starbond, low (or non?) fume ca glue??? IM yet to try it.

Remember you have duty to pay Chuck. You could import it without if it has been used and is a gift but hey, who would do that eh :) or take an eBay chance here Get him to ship it to me and I'll get it to you best possible way.

Last edited:
Chuck if you do not require a tethered or bottled air supply Why not consider a 3M 6000 series or equal? They meet the NIOSH Standards and should be available in the Islands. If I had to deal with nasty vapor issues I think I would use a local scavenger system.

Chuck- have you tried the Starbond, low (or non?) fume ca glue??? IM yet to try it.

The thing is, I WANT to be able to smell the odor. Odorless ca is no safer than the odorless variety. You just can't tell when it's trying to kill you. It's the same reason they put odor in LP gas.
I've heard poor reviews on the odorless ca but have not tried it myself.

Chuck if you do not require a tethered or bottled air supply Why not consider a 3M 6000 series or equal? They meet the NIOSH Standards and should be available in the Islands. If I had to deal with nasty vapor issues I think I would use a local scavenger system.

Thanks. I've got those but I can't wear them for more than a few minutes at a time. The straps are uncomfortable, they fog up and they obstruct your view.

Remember you have duty to pay Chuck. You could import it without if it has been used and is a gift but hey, who would do that eh :) or take an eBay chance here Get him to ship it to me and I'll get it to you best possible way.

Thanks Pete, that sounds like a good deal. But with 16 bids on it already it'll probably sell for twice that price. I'm always reluctant to buy anything on ebay anyway, I'd me more reluctant doing so overseas.

No duty if shipped to USA. As far as filters I am not sure if other filters will fit. it is a three prong deal. The way the filters are made it seems like you could clean them for quite a while. They snap easily apart to clean or replace the prefilter. I went to the local safety supply BWS and asked them if they believed this unit could be useful for spraying if fitted with different filters. Their opinion was it would not have sufficient air flow if fitted with chemical filters.

i, Chuck.

As a retired firefighter, the only full -face respirators I've used where with Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus, or some of the haz-mat operations that accepted the use of filter cartridges with the same masks.

Here's a link to the Scott page:https://www.scottsafety.com/en/us/Pages/ProductSeries.aspx?ProductType=AZQO9le3/CMe2o2rS1jhEg==

They also have powered respirators that you wear the motor on a belt.

Probably a lot more than you were looking for, but they've saved my life in the past, on multiple occasions.

-Kurt​

After owning and using for a year.

A lot of money for something so simple, but then again how much does a biopsy or worse of a sinus polyp cost. No more black ebony snot.
Comfortable enough that I use it daily. Not at all like wearing a respirator. Not so loud I can't listen to the radio. Works with a beard. very comfortable on your head.
It feels good to have cool air blowing past your face.

Top Bottom