Has anyone seen Paul McCartney live?

bonesoup

Reaction score
I got to see him perform last night for the first time and I was blown away. He did one song on the uke, Something, and dedicated it to George. Paul sang and played solo for about half the song and then the band kicked in to finish it out. It was just tremendous. He's been doing this song on the uke for a while now, but to see it in person was a whole nother level. Much of the show was like this - some songs I'm burned out on, like Hey Jude, but darned if I wasn't the loudest person around us, yelling out the na na na's. My wife called him The Dynamo. His skill, artistry, stage presence, voice, musicianship, all simply the top. It's unreal he's 72. Everything about the performance, he owned. He deservedly got a bonkers response from the Brazilian crowd and had us right where he had the groove - in his pocket.

Also wanted to mention that if he played the uke George gave him, I understand it's a Kamaka. But I could be wrong - he was pretty far away for me to see. The uke was quite bright through the PA. Clear-white strings. Wouldn't be surprised if he uses Aquilas but that's only a guess. Would enjoy being set straight if someone has the details.

You can find clips on YouTube of Paul playing a vintage Gibson uke that George gave him - take a look, maybe that was it. But George was a big Kamaka fan - he's known to have regularly bought out the inventory from the local shop where I play.

Paul played here at Dodger Stadium a couple months ago, and I have been kicking myself for not going ever since. I heard it was a fantastic show. I always figured that I was born too late to see the Beatles, so why bother - but like you, everyone I know who has seen him play has said he's amazing in concert. Next time for sure!

I saw McCartney in Boston in July 2013, and it was one of the greatest experiences of my (longish) life.

I saw him twice with Wings back in the days of Band on the Run and Venus and Mars. A friend sent me a phone pic from a recent concert. I wish I had a tenth of his stage energy to get me through the day! He is a living treasure. :cool:

No. But a friend of mine saw him in Cincinnati last year.

Does that count? ;)

You can find clips on YouTube of Paul playing a vintage Gibson uke that George gave him - take a look, maybe that was it. But George was a big Kamaka fan - he's known to have regularly bought out the inventory from the local shop where I play.

Thanks for info! It could very well have been a Gibson. Even with the giant video screens, I'm not sure. You play uke where George used to shop? I'm jealous in a good way. That's great.

I saw McCartney in Boston in July 2013, and it was one of the greatest experiences of my (longish) life.

Heck yeah. Thinking back on the great concerts I've seen, Paul's has to be at or near the top for me.

Yes, saw him in Atlanta in October. Great show! Same show set list probably, with Something on a uke.

Very cool.
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...son-uke-last-night&highlight=McCartney+gibson

Oh yeah, I read your post when you made it but in my excitement I posted a new one. For example in this link to the full Tokyo show on this tour, he opened with Eight Days a Week. For us, he opened with Magical Mystery Tour. I'm pumped I got to see the latter.

I saw him twice with Wings back in the days of Band on the Run and Venus and Mars. A friend sent me a phone pic from a recent concert. I wish I had a tenth of his stage energy to get me through the day! He is a living treasure. :cool:

Very cool you saw Wings. The Wings stuff sounded great with his new band. I really love this band. They're so lean, tight, and proficient. Like Paul's live shows in the 80s, when he had backup singers, a horn section, etc - it was imho a bit overdone. But this band really complements his music. When he launched into Foxy, and Paul played the Hendrix lead guitar lines, it was phenomenal.

No. But a friend of mine saw him in Cincinnati last year.

Does that count? ;)

Your friend is lucky!

Never saw Paul but I did see Elvis!

Saw him twice with the Beatles,three times with Wings,
twice as a solo performer (with band!). Very professional
and polished, but,it has to be said,not so good as time
goes by. Still a consumate performer,but the vitality and
urgency of youth,slips away,especially on the rockier songs!

I saw him back in 1990 at Knebworth in the UK he was on the bill with Eric Clapton ,Elton John , Genises,Pink Floyd, Robert Plant, amongst others ,,,and he was great hey Jude went on for twenty minutes but he was on top form Linda was on keyboards

I saw him with the Beatles twice, once after the release of Love me do, good stuff, the second time was after they broke big time couldn't hear a bleep bleep thing

Last edited:
It's awesome to hear from people who've seen the Beatles live.. but from someone who saw them before Beatlemania?? Wow. Wow. Was this at the Cavern, or one of their van tours, or? Story please.

Never saw the Beatles, but Maggie and I went to see Paul in Toronto a few years ago. He did play the George Uke and many guitars. He said, "When people ask me why I play so many guitars, I answer, "Because I have 'em." "
He had the Port Dover Pipe Band come out and accompany him for Mull Of Kintyre.

Didn't see them at the Cavern, saw them in May 63 after the release of Love Me Do, it was at a cinema venue in Manchester , so it was still a reasonable size crowd,but not over the top. The second time was after She Loves You only 6 months later but what a difference in the girls reactions.

Hey, I once sang "Hey Jude," live with Sir Paul.

Yeah. Me and twenty thousand other people at the Rose Garden in Portland, Oregon ...

Wife and I saw him play there twice, one of which times he played "Something" on George's uke. Man has total command of the stage, did the whole show without leaving the stage both times. He's taken pretty good care of his voice, too.

Top Bottom