Season 146 - The Copyright Patrol

Dougf

Reaction score

This week you can cover a song that has been involved in a copyright dispute, or a song that is about copyright infringement, or an original that pertains to copyright issues.

Limit one official entry, one new bonus, and one bonus from the archives, unless you want to do two songs that were on opposite sides of the same copyright dispute.

Judging will be a random drawing, with perhaps a judging component.

Prize will be my homemade ukulele #15.

Please post no videos before Sunday, November 30, Hawaii time.

Multitracking, video effects, etc., go for it.

Official Entry Playlist

Archive Bonus Playlist

New Bonus Playlist

Last edited:
oooooooooo

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

*swoons*

the number 15

wide bodied tenor

with pick up

put your safety glasses on, people, doug has a doug-uke prize, eyes could get scratched out here

we're all friends i know

but come on.................... a doug uke!

and doug - GREAT theme

*runs off to do some research and to sharpen nails for facilitation of aforementioned eye scratching*

Ok, here's my bonus from the archives, and since Ms Bevomu mentioned snow in the anticipation thread, it seems particularly relevant. The Ukelites also recently covered this.

Not only was this song sued for copyright infringement, the first two measures are a pretty blatant ripoff of Antonín Dvořák's Piano Quintet No. 2 (1887). But it is a pretty cool song, written by one of the first hippies.

Ok, here's my bonus from the archives, and since Ms Bevomu mentioned snow in the anticipation thread, it seems particularly relevant.
lol! thank you for bringing the snow! i was so close with my theme guess wasn't i? er ok no i wasn't!

and thanks so much for the links, i swung by ready to do some research and now i have somewhere to start!

P.S. SUCH a lovely vid there doug

Love the idea, would be fun to switch between songs half way thru. :)

Oh WOW Doug.

That #15 is much more than a prize....that is an HONOR for whomever is the lucky recipient of that BEAUTY. It is a masterpiece that anyone should/would be more than thrilled to receive.

VERY GENEROUS of you :drool:

:iwant:

Last edited:
Neil Young song - Let's Roll
I got it from one of the websites linked for this season.
But it appears there was just a threat of litigation.
It is such a powerful song.

Info from songfacts website -

This song is about Flight 93, the plane that was hijacked on September 11, 2001, but crashed in Pennsylvania before hitting the terrorists' target, which was probably a building in Washington, D.C.
Young wrote this after reading about Todd Beamer, one of the passengers who fought the hijackers and crashed the plane. Beamer called an Airfone operator to explain that they were going to rush the terrorists. Before he hung up, the operator heard him tell the other passengers, "Let's Roll." This conversation with the Airfone operator was the inspiration for the lyrics.

"Let's Roll" was Beamer's favorite saying. He said it to his kids all the time.

According to CNN, Young was threatened with civil action by Beamer's wife Lisa, who stated that prior to the song's release she had planned to trademark the phrase "Let's Roll" to be used on various collectibles, in hopes of attracting prospective converts to fundamentalist Christianity. Several merchants had applied for the trademark before her, and before Young's song was released. (thanks, Ekristheh - Halath)

Here's my video from the vault.
A Parody written for sotu 118 about the successful lawsuit against Men at Work for a small part of Land Down Under which was similar to Kookaburra Sits in the Old Gum Tree.

Last edited:
38 weeks ago I took part in my first season. Doug hosted it. For those who don't know, Doug offered his number 11 uke as a prize, which Ginny won. And then graciously passed on to BEV. Some weeks later Ginny received another Doug uke as a reward for her generosity. Seasonistas at their finest.

Completely unrelated to all this is Radiohead's song 'Creep' which created a bit of a ruckus for its similarity to 'The Air That I Breathe' back in Jim's season.

So I've done it, after three takes, not because of mistakes but because technology doesn't like me today.

Love the idea, would be fun to switch between songs half way thru. :)

oh gosh that is a really good idea!

Clearly this calls for a mashup. Clearly.

Fun theme, Doug. It's amazing how many songs qualify that I had no idea of.
Wow, that is the most amazing prize I've seen on the Seasons ever. Even more than the #11. Me want. (Stating the obvious.)

And yeah, the aftermath of Doug's last Season was epic. Seasonistas are amazing.
Doug, you are generous beyond measure. And a brilliant luthier. That #15 is a thing of art and beauty.

I really thought this one would not work on Ukulele, but I actually like the result. It's different then the original, but I think you can still recognise a lot from it. This is Unfinished Sympathy by Massive Attack. It seemed to have been sued by the Mahavishnu Orchestra about a song of theirs called Planetary Citizen (which also starts has a lot of hey hey hey's) as you can see here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxemCkIFFig
The original is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWmrfgj0MZI
This is a page I found useful in finding a song I liked:
http://mcir.usc.edu/cases/pages/Cases2000List.html

Last edited:
Top Bottom