Black and white ebony uke build

FahrOutUkes

Reaction score
Hey all, I’m new to the scene but thought I’d throw out what I was working on…
I just started making ukes this past summer and am loving every minute of it, so when I ran into the opportunity to purchase some black and white ebony lumber, large enough to make uke’s, I bought it up!!! So I decided to start taking pics of my builds and get them out there for people to see as I am having a hard time finding a builder that makes uke's in some of the woods I’m using ( is this good or bad!!!) Anyway, here’s some shots after the box is complete and the binding channel routed! As you will see there’s no rosette! I decided not to use one on this build, I hope it doesn’t come back to haunt me!

As you can see, it’s coming along nicely, next step is to install the pictured binding that matches the colors VERY nicely, there’s even some of the brown in the B&W!

I used a one piece Sitka top as it matched the color in the ebony very well, and it has engelmann bracing. I’m very pleased with it so far, but I’ve already got the next one lined up and ready to bend the sides!
It’s figured Goncalo Alves, or tigerwood that I got in lumber form and re-sawed.

Let me know what you guys think!!! Can’t wait till I get them done and can post a pic with them next to my other builds!
Any comments welcome, even the critical!

Fantastic! How deep is that body? Gonna be a "cannon"

That's some mighty showy wild grain.

Not everyone is into bling or much ornamentation. I quite like a couple of my ukes that have no rosette, binding or decoration. My instinctive guess is ... You will find enough variety in taste that some will love it without and some will always look for one with. :)

That's some mighty showy wild grain.

Not everyone is into bling or much ornamentation. I quite like a couple of my ukes that have no rosette, binding or decoration. My instinctive guess is ... You will find enough variety in taste that some will love it without and some will always look for one with. :)

I figured, "let the wood speak for itself..." That's why I went with no rosette, but I thought it could use some nice matching binding!

Here's a pic of the ttiger wood I talked about, gonna be killer!!!

I love it! However, my only suggestion would be that it cries out for some sort of rosette. Maybe something asymmetrical with tear drop shapes that would echo the grain and visually tie the top to the sides... Just a thought.

What size is this uke?

That looks incredible!

I love it! However, my only suggestion would be that it cries out for some sort of rosette. Maybe something asymmetrical with tear drop shapes that would echo the grain and visually tie the top to the sides... Just a thought.

What size is this uke?

I have some more sets in b&w so maybe on those, but i think ill leave this one alone...
Its a concert.

that "binding" looks like back zipper material.

body looks good :)

Wow what a beauty....and a boom box to boot!

that "binding" looks like back zipper material.

body looks good :)

I agree. That's the only thing that bothers me.
Want some constructive input? I'd go with solid jet black ebony binding. It'll give a place for the wild pattern of the B&W ebony to anchor to, a place for the pattern to stop. Like a picture frame it'll contain the design and when your eyes get to it they'll say "Ahhhh". Otherwise the zipper material will compete with the wood pattern, which is lovely BTW. Plus an ebony binding will be much stronger than that decorative trim piece. But that's just me. Good luck with it, it'll be killer.

I agree. That's the only thing that bothers me.
Want some constructive input? I'd go with solid jet black ebony binding. It'll give a place for the wild pattern of the B&W ebony to anchor to, a place for the pattern to stop. Like a picture frame it'll contain the design and when your eyes get to it they'll say "Ahhhh". Otherwise the zipper material will compete with the wood pattern, which is lovely BTW. Plus an ebony binding will be much stronger than that decorative trim piece. But that's just me. Good luck with it, it'll be killer.

Hmm I'll have to think.

The wood is very nice. I like it bold :) Have to agree with Chuck...being an artist myself...frame it in black!

I think I'm gonna go with the all black binding it looks classier... Hope to get pics up this weekend!!!

I have design rules that work for me:
  • if the wood is really striking and not a spruce top then no binding, no rosette
  • if it has a rosette then binding every time regardless of wood combo... spruce 'needs' a rosette in my view, otherwise it looks kinda 'naked' and forlorn...
Also: because the body is deep, don't automatically assume it is going to be a canon...

Last edited:
Top Bottom