New tenor with choked tone?

More accurately: sell to me at fair market price b/c that's what I'm planning on selling it for when my UAS gets the best of me. ;)

I have a solid acacia wood tenor my Wei Wei, I mentioned elsewhere the sound popped after it sat a year. Its still not as loud as a soprano but still has the original strings supposed to be Aquila. I also notice there is a much different feeling to the tension of the tenor strings than my soprano. I have been mostly playing on Aquila reds though so I thought it was the switch and I was imagining the tension difference.

Trying different strings will certainly change how it sounds but playing it for a few weeks might make a bigger difference. Three years ago i was given a Greg Bennett Baritone made by samick. Not a high end uke. Has a spruce top and laminate "brazilian rosewood sides." I didnt care for the sound--muffled and tone dead so i tried a few sets of strings to no avail. Hung it on the wall because it is fairly good looking. After a few years i took it down one day and played it. Same old sound. For some reason I played it for a couple of weeks and as i kept playing it opened up and started sounding better and better. It's not a bad little instrument; has a rather pleasant tone and good sustain that just werent there when it was new. Keep playing and you may be surprised how it turns out.

I have a new Mainland Mahogany Tenor that seems quiet compared to my Lanikai concert LU-21C. Because I live in a dry climate I got the gloss finish on the new tenor because I thought the top would be more stable. Maybe a stable top is a quiet top? Also the action on the new uke is much better so the lower saddle height might be contributing to the soft sound. I hope it will open up. And I guess I'll be switching out the strings. It has a manufacture date of Jan. 2014 so I'm a little afraid it's been sitting around waiting for some mail-order sucker. I hope that's not the case.

Top Bottom