New tenor with choked tone?

crazybilly

Reaction score
I picked up a Kala ASAP tenor as my first nice uke - before this, I've been playing a Lanikai pineapple soprano that I got for $30 off ebay.

I like the Kala -it's a lot warmer than the Lanikai,but it's also quieter? Or something...it just sort of feels like the tone is a bit choked, like it's not resonating like it should. Certainly the high A isn't as responsive as the Lanikai and slides are a lot more difficult.

Any suggestions? Different strings, maybe (looks like it has Nylguts on it now)? Or is that just the way tenors,having higher string tension, are?

Give the strings at least a week to stretch-out if it is brand new. It really helps with loudness and sustain.

I picked up a Kala ASAP tenor as my first nice uke - before this, I've been playing a Lanikai pineapple soprano that I got for $30 off ebay.

I like the Kala -it's a lot warmer than the Lanikai,but it's also quieter? Or something...it just sort of feels like the tone is a bit choked, like it's not resonating like it should. Certainly the high A isn't as responsive as the Lanikai and slides are a lot more difficult.

Any suggestions? Different strings, maybe (looks like it has Nylguts on it now)? Or is that just the way tenors,having higher string tension, are?

I'd change out the Nylguts. They are decent strings, but sound a little quieter, muddy, without sufficient resonance and sustain compared to fluorocarbon strings. My Collings and Kanilea tenors sounded like different instruments when I changed from Nylguts to Savarez and Oasis strings. Fluorocarbon strings usually sound better to me. Collings changed there stock strings from Aquila to Worths and Savarez.

Plus, as Paul said, it also needs a little playing time (hours) to open up a bit.

Last edited:
My best sounding uke is a Kala with the stock Aquila nylgut strings (see my signature, all my ukes are tenors), really good projection and sustain. My newest, the black mandolele, sounded great right out of the box with Aquila nylgut. My Gretsch was weak until I changed the strings to Worth CT fluorocarbons, now it sounds pretty good. The same with my 2 hole Uku when I changed the Aquilas to Worth CT, but my Lanikai quilted ash has limited projection and sustain with fluorocarbon, nylgut or what's on it now, Worth browns. Same with my custom gypsy jazz on which I put fluorocarbon and now nylgut. I've been told over and over that solid wood needs time to open up, even up to a year, so I'll have to wait it out, though the Lanikai is going on a year old.

Last edited:
I'd change out the Nylguts. They are decent strings, but sound a little quieter, muddy, without sufficient resonance and sustain compared to fluorocarbon strings. Fluorocarbon strings always sound better to me.

In most cases, my experience with Aquilas has been the exact opposite, especially on an all acacia uke.

This is why so many of us try so many different kinds of strings. I've heard ukes "transformed" by strings, some Aquila. My son has had some real "transformations" when he switched to Fremont blacklines on one uke, Living Waters on another, and Southcoasts on yet another.

Hope you get that sucker sounding the way you want billy

Last edited:
I put Worth Browns on my Kala Acacia Tenor soon after I bought it and I've used them ever since - totally changed the sound & I love it.

Sounds like new strings might be exactly what I need. I've heard a lot of good stuff about the Worth Browns - where are they at on the tonal spectrum?

Any other recommendations, particularly if I'm looking for something brighter and louder?

Sounds like new strings might be exactly what I need. I've heard a lot of good stuff about the Worth Browns - where are they at on the tonal spectrum?

Any other recommendations, particularly if I'm looking for something brighter and louder?

Congrats on the Kala! I'm not a fan of Aquila Nylguts for an all solid wood uke. I only have Nylguts for my all laminate ukes only. Not mentioning any names, but I've talked to the pro players we all know and they told me themselves that they don't like Aquila's.

But for a brighter and louder tone, I would try PhD strings:

http://www.ukulelecreations.com/Accessories.html

or Worth CT Clears:

http://www.elderly.com/accessories/names/worth-ct-tenor-uke-set--WSCT.htm

Last edited:

Worth CMs
Savarez (higher tension) https://www.stringsbymail.com/savarez-ukulele-strings-for-tenor-ukulele-150r-kf-alliance-full-set-7298.html
Oasis Bright high g https://www.stringsbymail.com/oasis-carbon-ukulele-strings-for-conc-sop-ten-bright-high-g-double-11772.html

You might want to try low-G too.
Savarez https://www.stringsbymail.com/custom-customer-concoction-craig-brandau-low-g-uke-set-11355.html
Oasis Bright, low g https://www.stringsbymail.com/oasis-carbon-ukulele-strings-for-conc-sop-ten-bright-low-g-double-11773.html

Something tells me the Kala will never sound amazing to your ear. It might be that particular uke, the one you received, as Kala is a good brand. Certainly not the step forward as you intended by upgrading. If you can, before changing anything, I'd speak w the retailer about either their suggestions for tweaking the one in your hands, or exchanging it for another of the same or different model Kala, cbilly.

Of course, the old saw--play before buying--applies here, if at all possible.

coolkayaker1 is absolutely right. If you change strings and you're still disappointed, you may not be able to get a refund. I say return it now and contact Hawaii Music Supply or Mim or (better still) find a local merchant who sells ukuleles to help you take your next step.

I got it used, off the Flea Market, so sending it back isn't really an option.

Truth be told, the seller gave me a good enough price that if I decide I hate it, I'm sure I can get my money back out of it without too much of a problem, so I'm not sweating it.

I sure wish I had somewhere around here to play a wide variety of ukes--the music shops in town each carry about 5 ukes each, mostly Fenders, so there's not much to go on there.

Truth be told, the seller gave me a good enough price that if I decide I hate it, I'm sure I can get my money back out of it without too much of a problem, so I'm not sweating it.

I sure wish I had somewhere around here to play a wide variety of ukes--the music shops in town each carry about 5 ukes each, mostly Fenders, so there's not much to go on there.

Glad you went with my suggestion. :)

I don't think there is an ASAP. maybe it's an KA-ASAC-T? regardless, I had a Kala slothead acacia once, and it came with Aquilla strings. It did not sound choked.They are pretty nice ukes. the Aquilla usually sound brighter/harsher. you really don't have much to lose by changing the strings. If you want bright, go for the Worth clears or Oasis as others have suggested.I'm not a big believer in the "uke will open up in time" theory. it may change a little, as it may with new strings. but after a string change, if you still don't like the sound, sell it and get a different one. there are plenty of nice sounding moderately priced ukes out there. I'm pretty impressed with Koaloha and Kanilea's import lines.

Last edited:

The Kala is a decent instrument and a string swap may make a difference. I've found that whatever strings are on an instrument (new or used) when I get it, I always am better off swapping them out. Some folk swear by Aquila Nygut (I like them) and some despise them. I've swapped out supposedly-Nyguts on a new instrument for new Nyguts and have gotten much better performance.

I've got a Lanikai SMP tenor (with Fishman electronics) that sounds fine, but can't compete unamplified with my Pono Pro Classic (both with Aquila Nyguts). Still, the Lanikai gets a lot of playing time because it's very comfortable to play.

As silly as this may sound, a set-up may be needed on the Kala. If the instrument is the least bit uncomfortable (action too high, string spacing too narrow/wide, etc.), that "uncomfortableness" can affect how one feels about an instrument, including being too critical about the sound. Getting the instrument personalized can do a lot to making one happier with the acquisition.

Yeah, I think the fact that the action is just a wee bit high and the string tension is so much greater than my soprano has a lot to do with how I feel about it, too. Are tenor usually harder to play due to the string tension being a lot higher (ie. a longer scale length for the same notes)?

I hate to do any sort of setup, though, till I try some other strings--no sense in making changes if I don't have a least a couple of my variables set right!

Yeah, I think the fact that the action is just a wee bit high and the string tension is so much greater than my soprano has a lot to do with how I feel about it, too. Are tenor usually harder to play due to the string tension being a lot higher (ie. a longer scale length for the same notes)?

I hate to do any sort of setup, though, till I try some other strings--no sense in making changes if I don't have a least a couple of my variables set right!

PhD's are lower tension and softer than Worth's: http://www.ukulelecreations.com/Accessories.html

If the tension is that much higher than the soprano, then definitely replace the strings. if the tuning is at the correct octave, then sounds like the wrong gauge strings may be on the instrument. For $5-10 it's worth it to change out the strings for what you know are the correct gauge.

If you can access the "Global Tuner" app (or equivalent), consider doing so. I use it to make sure everything is indeed in the correct octaves (tuners and strings).

If you want volume and brighter, clearer sound and want to experiment with linear tuning try a Southcoast smooth round wound set. I have found that Southcoasts in general added more volume with less tension on all my tenors, but are brighter than Worth Clears, which are brighter than the Browns. If you don't like wound strings try one of their non-wound sets for tenor.

Top Bottom