Tenor Ukulele Recommendations Needed

seaverd

Reaction score
I am looking for some advice, I started playing with my kids $30 Hilo soprano ukulele and have decided it is fun and am looking to purchase a ukulele. After some research I have decided that I would like a tenor ukulele, but am having a hard time deciding on what to purchase. At this point I am thinking my budget should be $200 or less. From posts on this site I have seen people say favorable things about:

Islander MT-4
Gretsch 9120
KPK Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Slothead Tenor ($280…or contact and look for a blem)
Islander MST-4

I understand that the first two are laminates…is this where I should start? I then found some favorable postings on KPK tenor ukes…which is under my $200 budget. Any thoughts on these?

Would I be better off continuing to use the Hilo while watching the marketplace for a used/blem Mainland Slot head tenor or Islander MST-4?

Any help would be greatly appreciated or suggestions of other ukuleles to consider!

Dan

There's a lot of good tenor ukuleles out there for your budget and less. Lanikai, Kala, Oscar Schmidt and Gretsch are always on sale someplace.

There's nothing wrong with a laminate instrument. I have had many (guitars, mandolins and ukuleles). They fit a price point and are quite serviceable and pleasant. As with everything, the brand makes a difference, and so does the seller.

There are many vendors out there, some better than others. Finding the best vendor is often more important than selecting which instrument out of so many that are pretty much alike. A vendor which really guarantees what they sell rather than beats everyone's price by $3 is well worth the extra couple bucks.

Seconds are one thing, blemishes are another. If the second is only cosmetic, as most blemishes are, then the imperfection can result in a price difference of 25% or more. Whether it's worth it is a personal call.

Hope this helps a bit.

Those ukes all have a following and each has their merits. With your budget I'd go for the laminated Islander or the Gretsch and wait until I had the money for something significantly better. There are a number of very nice ukes around $350. In my experience you get another step up in quality around $500, another step up at around $750 (Pono Pro Classic) and another step up around $1200 (K brand). There are also all kinds of good ukes that come up in the used market. There are also often trade offs for price. A uke might be solid Koa but a cheap grade (which may still sound really nice). The uke might have corners cut in the hardware that was used. Some of what you pay for as you go up the scale is as much for looks as anything. Some of it is subtle things that you might or might not like. The longer you play and get to try other people's ukes and ukes in stores, eventually you'll get a better idea what you like and what is important to you. Sounds like you have kids and want to be careful about spending. You can spend $150 on a uke and it is going to be junk but you can also get something good for $150 or less and it looks like you are on the right track.

PM AndrewKuker of HMS and share your desires and Andrew will treat you right.

Sure, there's shipping, but even then, with their expertise and set up services,
you will definitely get your money's worth. And if you can afford a bit more,
please do not 'discount' HMS' suggestions and recommendations. They always
have your best interests in mind!

I shared the same 'advice' with a friend and she is getting a dream Tenor from HMS
for Christmas. Another happy customer :)

keep uke'in',

If you can stretch your budget a tad, I'd recommend a Mainland red cedar or a Pono.

Otherwise, anything you get is going to be a huge improvement over that $30 soprano you have.

Nothing wrong with a mid-grade step up for now. Then, as you grow as a player, you'll be better able to judge what you really want when you upgrade again. :)

But do look at the Marketplace here and at Flea Market Music. Also check your local craigslist. Used ukes are kinda like used cars. You lose resale value once you drive it off the lot, so you can find some real bargains vs. buying new.

Thanks for all of the info...I will check out the Ohana's and keep my eye on the marketplace.
Mainland - I am having a hard time with the looks of their signature roping...which is why I listed the slot head tenor as it is omitted from this model.

I have been watching craigslist....and the only tenor I see is the Fluke Surf King. I haven't done much research on these, the asking price with hard case is under my budget.

Dan

Hawaii Music Supply =HMS, which is also know as The Ukulele Site has a great video on youtube titled 10 best tenors under $200.00. How is that for custom made to order request filling :cool: I have a number of ukes, some are expensive tenors and I also own a Gretsch 9120 that still gets played alot and sounds really good. I have had a lot of complements on it from people that know their instruments

Last edited:
I have been watching craigslist....and the only tenor I see is the Fluke Surf King. I haven't done much research on these, the asking price with hard case is under my budget.
Flukes are a blast! You should definitely look into it.

Since you mentioned KPK, they have a tenor of all solid acacia for $215 with free shipping. Is it heavy? Yes Is it built like a tank? Yes Does it sound amazing for a $200 uke? absolutely, sounds like it cost 2-3 times as much. Will it be setup properly and do they have great customer service? You bet.
I have a concert size cutaway that I'll probably never get rid of. www.pilikoko.com Lots of other great recommendations here. You should be able to get a $200 uke you will be happy with.

That being said, I'd likely see if this one is still available and make a deal:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?102606-FS-Pono-MT-Mahogany-Tenor

Last edited:
I got an Islander AC-4 when Amazon was selling them cheap and I am using it as a travel beater. Acacia laminate, very plain,pretty grain , lightly built with a surprisingly good tone and playability once I lowered the action at the nut. With a case I think you would still be under $200. then save up for a solid Koaloha tenor and tune one low G and you'll be set.

Thanks for all of the info...I will check out the Ohana's and keep my eye on the marketplace.
Mainland - I am having a hard time with the looks of their signature roping...which is why I listed the slot head tenor as it is omitted from this model.

Dan

I'm not a fan of Mainland's signature roping either, but DEFINITELY check out Ohana's. Mim is the BEST online Ohana dealer and she has the biggest selection. She's currently out of stock on that model I recommended which is the Ohana TK-20, but if you contact her, she'll possibly can get that model in for you.

(540) 505-5444, mim@mimsukes.com

Here's her eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/mimsukes/Ohana-/_i.html?_sop=3&_fsub=1993996014&rt=nc&_ipg=192

Last edited:
In the "budget" category, I've had much better luck with Oscar Schmidt than Kala, in terms of build quality and sound. If you happen to live in a chronically dry locale like Southern California (or anywhere winter indoor heating could pose dehumidification issues) consider a quality-laminate build as a way to lower your maintenance requirements. For about $160 you could get an Oscar Schmidt OU6 tenor with nice koa veneer, excellent volume, attractive binding/purfling, and very sturdy construction. Recommended.

In the "budget" category, I've had much better luck with Oscar Schmidt than Kala, in terms of build quality and sound. If you happen to live in a chronically dry locale like Southern California (or anywhere winter indoor heating could pose dehumidification issues) consider a quality-laminate build as a way to lower your maintenance requirements. For about $160 you could get an Oscar Schmidt OU6 tenor with nice koa veneer, excellent volume, attractive binding/purfling, and very sturdy construction. Recommended.

It's $199.99 for a whole Oscar Schmidt package: http://www.austinbazaar.com/oscar-schmidt-by-washburn-ou6-tenor-uke-bundle-osc-ou6-combo-dlx.html

Even though I love Oscar Schmidt because that's my first uke and they offer a lifetime warranty, I sincerely think Ohana Ukuleles > Oscar Schmidt.

Flukes are a blast! You should definitely look into it.

Agreed - I've got a flea, my son has a fluke and they're fun, and soundwise will keep up with anything in the price range. They also play very easily - great setup.

So what is it that makes Flukes a blast? Being new to this, I have not seen or heard one yet.

Dan

Flukes are made in the US, and are a plastic bodied, wood topped ukulele. They have a flat bottom so you can set them upright on any surface and they come in a variety of fun colors and designs. But don't let that distract you from the fact that they play easy - the setup and intonation is spot on. And they sound good. Really good - most people prefer my flea (the flukes little brother) in sound to my solid wood uke that cost over twice as much, and that takes twice the care. My son has a fluke and if anything the sound is richer and fuller than the flea. Plus they're durable.

For me one of the great things about these ukes is by the way they're manufactured there is less variability in sound, setup, etc. When you get one everything is as it should be.

Here's some info:

http://www.magicfluke.com/
http://www.gotaukulele.com/2010/10/fluke-ukulele-review.html

Last edited:
Top Bottom