Season 148 "Three Score and Ten"

Tootler

Reaction score

As I said in the video, my 70th birthday is this coming Wednesday so this weeks theme is centred round a birthday celebration.

So. This week's challenge is to record a song with a connection to 70.

For example:
* A popular song from 70 years ago (1944)
* A song by someone born in 1944 (or by a band they are associated with)
* A number 70 in the charts (anywhere) for this corresponding week in any year.
* A song from 1970 - to stretch it a bit. Or
* A song with some other connection with 70 - be creative. Remember the Thornton rule always applies in these cases.

Rules
* Original recording made this week
* Ukulele should be the main featured instrument
* Multi tracking OK. Add other instruments, harmony vocals if you like but not essential. Simple acoustic recordings are often the best way to feature a song.
* Limit of 3 (yes, just three) entries - otherwise I may not find time to listen to them all.
* Mention that the video's for "Season 148" somewhere - in the video, the titles or in the Seasons thread.
* Also mention in your post for the song the connection with 70.

Start time 00.01 Hawaii Saturday 14 December 2014
Finish time 23.59 Hawaii Saturday 21 December 2014
Please stick to these. I know some of you like to see if you can get in before Pabrizzer but you should still stick to the correct start time.

Playlist

I think that's all

Except

Have Fun!

Last edited:
Great theme, Geoff!
No 70 on the Billboard Hot 100 for the week of 18 Dec 1965 - the week you turned 21! - was Johnny Tillotson with 'Our World'
http://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100/1965-12-18.

I think it's going to be harder to discover what was the UK No.70 that week. But in the meantime..., heeeeere's Johnny!!

How creative is that...! Gotta get to googlin! Wait, I guess this week it would be Tootlin!

Last edited:
Great theme, Geoff!

I think it's going to be harder to discover what was the UK No.70 that week. But in the meantime..., heeeeere's Johnny!!

The UK mostly only published the top 40. In which case I'm quite prepared to accept 70/2 instead. 70/4 is not on, though. You can't have a fractional chart position.

Last edited:
Tootlin's for things you blow down which is what I started with. ;)

BEV has the right term "plinkin"
what a plinkin' fab theme!

some brain work and research required to exercise the old grey matter

but lots and lots of choice

and bless you for saying 1970! it might allow for a little very early glam rock! yeah baby!

great way to let us all help celebrate your birthday week!

let the plinkin' begin! :rock:

what a plinkin' fab theme!

some brain work and research required to exercise the old grey matter

but lots and lots of choice

and bless you for saying 1970! it might allow for a little very early glam rock! yeah baby!

great way to let us all help celebrate your birthday week!

let the plinkin' begin! :rock:

We aim to please :eek:ld:

Happy Birthday Tootlin Geoff. Now can someone explain exactly what the Thornton rule is :)

Is it how to make a song work that doesn't really work!

i think specifically, it's if you feel really moved to post a song

the idea being, even if it doesn't exactly fit the theme, if the theme made you really wanna do a song, then all the moving and wanting and the universe pushing you in that direction, is what counts

i think specifically, it's if you feel really moved to post a song

the idea being, even if it doesn't exactly fit the theme, if the theme made you really wanna do a song, then all the moving and wanting and the universe pushing you in that direction, is what counts

Yep, whatever you do , do not stand in the way of a Universe ...them things is heavy.

if you're lucky, though, it's a parallel universe, ie. running in the same direction as you but over to the side a bit, and therefore it doesn't hit you at all

scientific FACT

Can someone tell me what the Thornton rule is???
seriously, it's a rule alan came up with, it means even if a song doesn't strictly speaking fit the theme, if you have an overwhelming desire to bring it to the season anyway, you should. i'm sure alan will swing by and explain a bit more... and obviously it has to be used sparingly otherwise we all might end up doing whatever we liked and ignoring the theme completely! but it's more than just an idea for a free-for-all, the key idea is the theme takes you to a song, but oh pook on some technicality it doesn't quite qualify - well, under the thornton rule, it's the spirit rather than the letter of the law that counts, and if the theme took you on a journey to that song, then maybe that means something. it's sort of a hippy concept ;) (alan i'm teasing!)

i didn't invoke the rule, but i kinda did the same thing in your season, you wanted songs that moved you in the sense they got you dancing, but i brought a couple of slow songs that just........ MOVED me. emotionally and all. strictly speaking they shouldn't have counted, but you generously went with what the theme made me wanna do - we did the thornton rule without even knowing we were doing it!

Gary Glitter was born in 1944. Just sayin'.

A brief selection of other singers born in '44:
Diana Ross
Patti LaBelle
Gladys Knight
Barry White
Brenda Lee
Joe Cocker
Townes Van Zandt
Ray Davies (of the Kinks)
Sly Stone
Peter Tosh
Marvin Hamlisch (ok, he's a songwriter, but probably counts)
Michelle Phillips (of the Mamas and the Papas)
Roger Daltrey
Jeff Beck (of the Yardbirds, and others)

Last edited:
seriously, it's a rule alan came up with, it means even if a song doesn't strictly speaking fit the theme, if you have an overwhelming desire to bring it to the season anyway, you should. i'm sure alan will swing by and explain a bit more... and obviously it has to be used sparingly otherwise we all might end up doing whatever we liked and ignoring the theme completely! but it's more than just an idea for a free-for-all, the key idea is the theme takes you to a song, but oh pook on some technicality it doesn't quite qualify - well, under the thornton rule, it's the spirit rather than the letter of the law that counts, and if the theme took you on a journey to that song, then maybe that means something. it's sort of a hippy concept ;) (alan i'm teasing!)

That pretty much sums it up. Alan's original formulation of the rule was (roughly) that if you want to do a song and it kinda fits the theme don't ask, just do it anyway. I think he didn't want a lot of "Is it OK if I do..." type questions that you sometimes get and I go along with that.

I've defined this season's theme so that if you have a song you really feel moved to do, just do it and contrive a link to 70. I've already suggested 70/2 is OK for chart positions, especially where charts don't go to 100.

Top Bottom