HELP! Noobee wants solid acacia tenor, Pono or Kala ?!?

Reaction score
hello all, new here also total noobie ta string music making... Story short, got the ukulele bug an' also need some help/focus fer my PTSD :rolleyes:

While waitin fer some Xmas bonus €€ ta come thru, I'm making myself crazy with choices, an being a bit of a sybarite I'm hitting quite high fer an absolute beginner: want solid wood, or 'least solid top!! :D

Have to relay on net samples/shops 'cuz local shops deal mostly (read: only) laminated or toys...
1st I came across Kala ASAC T an was love at 1st sight! next came the cedar top/laminated acacia KA-ATP-CT ... gotta love those slotted headstocks:drool:

but alas, the cedar seem ta have sold out fast... To make a point clear: Im in Europe, an refuse te have ta go thru the hassle of customs + pp, so it's from the UK, or Europe Im shopping.

Now, I have the 'xcuse ta go all-out on a solid acacia dream!! (he he)... and, wait a minute! the Pono AT retails exactly the same as the KA ASAC T at a reputable UK dealer at the mo! 'thas ta be the Pono then (good-bye slotted headstock, fer now!) ... only couple of Qs ta begin brain picking your authorities from this noobe:

i ) is the Pono arched back at all, like the Kala is?

and, of immense more mportance:
ii) only real critic ta the Pono I've gathered is some folks say the fretboard is narrow (or is the spacing in the strings?) that causes to push the G or A strings out of the fretboard once past the 5-6th fret... :eek: Scary stuff!! any imput on this please, other than this potential game-changer my mind (& heart) is pretty much set!

DISCLAIMER: While aware there's already a number of threds on each of the ukes I mentioned, I cheekely went ahead an started another 'un, with my specific questions... (can be quite anal that way) cosider it my Intro fer now, and thanks in advance!

I had the Acacia Kala and loved it. Loud, but warm tone. Pretty too! Sold it, then a year later really regretted it so I bought a second one...
...Equally as attractive but sounded like a sock was stuffed inside of it.
- Got a bad one?
- Kala changed factories?
- Poor QC?

My first uke was a Pono AC and I like it. The neck is a similar width to the Maton concert I have here and the strings are a similar distance apart. The Pono neck is slightly thicker but I find the Pono easier to play in that I make less mistakes when playing it. I still haven't figured out what that's about, but the curve of the headstock on the Pono is more gradual and the nut is lower and doesn't restrict the fingers as much - as in when playing a series of triplets down to the first fret. Then again, maybe I'm not doing it right?

But I liked the Pono so much I bought another one.

Whichever you choose, enjoy.

Kala acacias are nice, but I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone prefer them to Pono's

Kala acacias are nice, but I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone prefer them to Pono's

Comparing apples-to-apples, I think for the $$$, I actually prefer higher-end Kalas to lower end Ponos.
Of course Pono Pro series is in a different league.

I have a solid Acacia tenor ukulele I think it was $18 before shipping, so around $70 shipped. It cracked I repaired it and learned a bit about humidity. I've cracked it with a clamp I've dinged it and the greatest thing is it doesn't matter. I let it sit for a year disliking the dull sound to find just sitting there its developed a wonderful voice. Just still a little too far from traditional uke sound for my tastes.

Good Luck

Why have you limited it to two? Why not one designed by Bob Gleason of Pegasus Guitars and Ukuleles, and made in Portugal not China? The brand name is LEHUA. You can go to www.lehuaukulele.com to see who is a dealer near you. If that doesn't open it, then it is www.lehuaukuleles.com . Of all of the ones I have sold as an Oregon dealer, there was one person not satisfied. That was because he missed the other two strings of his guitar, and decided the ukulele was not for him. The ukulele player who bought it really likes it.

@TheCraftedCow : beatifull piece, WAAAAAYY over budget tho! - (rationally) I should realy shtick with €100 ukes fer now, it's just that I wanaa be in love wid the sound'n'action straight away if possible, no half measures...

that what I've picked up in here too, so far.

Comparing apples-to-apples, I think for the $$$, I actually prefer higher-end Kalas to lower end Ponos.
Of course Pono Pro series is in a different league.

fair enuff, I like Kala very much too, value+looks, especially the new solid tops/laminated sides with slotted headstocks - I bet we'll see more in that style in the near future...

thanks all fer yer replies, keep 'em coming! :shaka:

Me....I would lean towards the Pono Acacia, the pro series if it is in your budget. But really.....get the best uke you can afford. Have fun shopping and playing!!

I have the Kala uku that you mentioned. It is $350 at HMS. A very pretty and good sounding uku for beginner but it is definitely not a uku for life.
After owning the Kala for 3 months , I already found design fault in the bridge. No I am not an advance player at all. Just someone used to play classical guitar (many years ago) and now starting with ukulele instrumental music. The high fret on this Kala is very weak and I already have the fairly expensive strings.

Me....I would lean towards the Pono Acacia, the pro series if it is in your budget. But really.....get the best uke you can afford. Have fun shopping and playing!!

I wish I have this advice when I started playing ukulele. it is very very true!

I wish I have this advice when I started playing ukulele. it is very very true!

Except for the Pono part--it's too fat for your hands ;-o

Except for the Pono part--it's too fat for your hands ;-o

Now I don't know what to do . Already ordered a PONO on line although I can still change my order because I am picking up in person when I go to Hawaii in a few weeks. I also heard PONO is like a baseball bat. Very thick in the neck.

Now I don't know what to do . Already ordered a PONO on line although I can still change my order because I am picking up in person when I go to Hawaii in a few weeks. I also heard PONO is like a baseball bat. Very thick in the neck.

Where in Hawaii are you going? Would be best to go to a few shops and play a whole bunch and buy the one that is singing to you!!

done the deal! Pono AT with Martin fluorocarbons (opinions on those?!?) set-up fer a lefty beginner on its way!!! cant feckin wait ta start strumming/plucking the auld sorrows away!!!

Got chatting te Alex (not Gary[!!!]), a nice chap @ Southern Ukulele Store in the UK where I'm told the service 'n' set-up are spot on!

I'll say it again, cant bloody wait!!!!
:smileybounce:

Congratulations! Martin fluorocarbons are good. They have slight warmer sound than Worth Clears.

Top Bottom