Aloha from Maui, HI!

Reaction score
Hello everyone! My name is Daniel Pōhaku Osorno! I am from Maui, HI. I am a pizza delivery driver but I volunteer @ a local Ukulele Shop here on Maui called Mele Ukulele! I'm there 4-5 times a week. One time I was there from 12:30PM-9:30PM (New Wailea Location opened longer/later). I perform for the customers and show them how much fun you can have on the Ukulele! Majority of the customers that come in are interested in an Ukulele because they hear Somewhere Over The Rainbow/What A Wonderful World from Braddah IZ on lots of new movies that they've seen! So that is my main demo song. Here is it on an Mele Ukulele 8-String Baritone Ukulele...

http://youtu.be/GMKtbrbwYuw?list=UUaM_j_8VoKNQQEk3m_uyNQw

In the original song, Braddah IZ says "K, this one's for Gabby". His friend that passed away (Gabby Pahinui) and dedicated that song to him.

So I've dedicated this cover song to Uncle Peter Delapinia, Mele Ukulele's long-time Volunteer, that passed away recently.

Anyways, this is the Ukulele I am picking up on Tuesday...

It is a Mele Ukulele 8-String Koa Top Mahogany Back & Sides Slim Ukulele Model. I'm not sure how slim it is but it looks like around a little more than one inch. Just as loud as a normal 8-String Ukulele so the comfortableness in the Ukulele as your are hugging it towards your body as you play feels really nice!

I am going to experiment with the strings when I pick it up on Tuesday. I am going to make it Regular Nylon G, Metal Wound Nylon G, High Nylon C, Metal Wound Nylon C, Regular Nylon E, Metal Wound Nylon E, Regular Nylon A, Metal Wound Nylon A. I know where I can get the unknown Metal Wound Nylon E String from. If I get a Baritone Metal Wound Nylon D String, It will be able to tune up to E since the scale length is shorter on this Tenor, than a Baritone. It's kinda like when you put Tenor GCEA strings on a Soprano Ukulele. Of course it's going to be all floppy unless you tune it higher than GCEA (The String's Original Key). I've had a Mele Ukulele 8-String Baritone in the past and tuned it similar with a DGBE and all octaves on it with the highs & lows. Sounded incredible!

Anyways. Check us out @ The Shops At Wailea almost every Wednesday for Mele Ukulele Kanikapila Night! Here is a video from their first Mele Ukulele Kanikapila Night...

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=606888722774013&l=8773230824725516165

Next Ukulele for me you say??? I am going to have them start on a Mele Ukulele Mahogany Back & Sides Spruce Top 8-String Baritone Ukulele (with cutaway) that has a Mele Ukulele Guitarlele Fretboard, possibly the most fun I had when trying out their all Mahogany model. The Fretboard is wider than normal Baritone Ukuleles. I am going to tune it ADF#B, 5 frets lower than normal DGBE Baritone Ukulele tuning. It will be like the bottom "four" strings like my Taylor 8-String Baritone Guitar, which is tuned to BEADF#B.

My Ukulele is getting a Scratch Guard & Mi-Si Battery Free Pickup installed right now in Mele Ukulele's Ukulele Shop.

Anyways. If you've read all of that, I applaud you, lol. Thank you for reading! :-D

Welcome to the UU!! Mele ukes are really nice!!!

Welcome Daniel. Enjoyed your post. I hope to be able to see you this February as we will be in Maui for a whole month. We are staying in Kihei so not too far from Wailea. Is the Kanikapila just an open mic or is it group play?

Dan

Welcome Daniel! I own a Mele uke as well and really like it!
BBQUKER- check out 808ukejams in Kihei. Hopefully they're still there

Aloha Daniel
I have two Meles and they are great...Uncle Peter helped pick them out, a soprano and a beautiful 6 string concert, koa top, mahogany sides and back and rope bindings --uncle Peter was a special Hawaiian.
I'm currently in North Kihei and will drop into the Shops Wed.
Aloha

Top Bottom