Gretsch G9112 (Resonator) or something else for newbie with carpal tunnel syndrome?

wayward

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I've been asked my opinion of the Gretsch G9112 by a newbie who has previously played guitar for some years. He has carpal tunnel syndrome, so the views of anyone with experience of this would be particularly welcome. I'm not sure if he wants a resonator uke or not, but if he does would you recommend the Gretsch? (I have no experience of them) If he's not bothered about the resonator what is your honest opinion of the Anuenue Khaya Concert (I have an electro version for sale, cheaper than the Gretsch, but don't want to lumber him with it if it won't suit his situation). Or would you suggest something else (looks like the budget's up to about £220).

People with carpal tunnel syndrome can still have a lot of trouble playing uke. Kind of uke less important than neck size/thickness/width, scale length, string tension, action, etc. etc.

People with carpal tunnel syndrome can still have a lot of trouble playing uke. Kind of uke less important than neck size/thickness/width, scale length, string tension, action, etc. etc.

Thanks PhilUSAFR - I kinda guessed that, but wasn't sure. I asked him if he knew what scale would be best + things like if he thought a radius fretboard would be better. but he doesn't seem to know, and as I'm in the UK and he's not he can't really try before I buy (I've been asked to buy him a uke and take it with me when I visit in February). Sooo, having now been told he wants a resonator and loves playing blues (especially slide guitar) I'm going to just try to get him the best resonator I can for his cash. I'm going to repost with the options I've found but feel free to add to them if you know of something else.

My first thought on the subject was that its not the brand of instrument that makes one better or worse for his condition rather its how well setup the instrument is. Nominally you want a really well setup instrument with a LOW action so that the grip pressure required to fret the instrument is low. Following this angle then a well setup Banjo Ukulele will have the lowest fretting pressure of all. Mind you. Banjo ukulele's are heavier to hold than regular ukuleles so I'm not sure how that would effect things.

Slide instruments will have there own idiosyncrasies. A good slide instrument has a high action which is fine if your ONLY playing slide. If your friend wan't to slide sometimes and fret sometimes then a well setup slide instrument will require a LOT of fretting pressure to fret cleanly. This could hurt.

Anthony

carpel tunnel = repetitive motion injury. Keep up the motion = keep up the problem. May have to get that sucker fully "healed", then gradually build the hand/wrist back up before he can comfortably play without constantly aggravating the injury.

Thanks fellas. That's given me a couple more questions to email this guy before I get something on his behalf.

Top Bottom