People cycling out of UU

I am new to Ukulele and so I really enjoy the forum ... and the peeps I am getting to know. Great folks.

In balance, I think this is a great additional resource and opportunity for friendships across the globe. For me, it works.

I'm still around too tho much more of a lurker now. Just don't have much to say anymore. Still playing ukes but more into my guitars at this time.

Reading this thread I cannot tell if all the melancholia herein is nostalgia or if there is serious concern about the State of the UU. I'm a relative newcomer here and still in the height of the initial enthusiasm stage. From what I can see the forums work pretty well. OK the old-timers would like to see more original content but you can only have the first Woman on Mars once.

When I look at things objectively, at least a objectively as a crazy person can; UU is a solid community endeavor. About the only time I see tempers flash is when CeeJay doesn't understand English. Its ESL for him I know, and much calmer than say Mudcat Cafe. They have a lot of ESL Brits too! The pros whether they are Dealers, musicians or Luthiers are most helpful to us prols. Very little trade squabbling. The UU university seems to be on track. The Seasons is a marvelous program. Playing with other people is the best way to improve quickly and UU has figured out how to do it in a virtual environment. Amazing! Of course the apparent melancholy could just be Seasonal Affect Dosorder. It is the Dark time of the year you know. As ukecan1 might say "don't worry be happy".

Where do we find "The Seasons" link?

It's a subforum within the Contests section. Weekly challenges, each with a different theme, each 'hosted' by a different member each week. Lots of fun, lots of support for your playing, lots of great playing from fellow members to watch, and a great way to improve your skills. I've been doing it since March and not looked back. Think I've only missed 2 or 3 weeks since then.

Being that I've never been married, have no kids, semi-retired about the same time I signed up to UU about 16 months ago, I play with a group twice a week and constantly convert the music to my tablet, and I have the time to login here a couple times a day. I know UAS has very much infected me and until I sell the one I have in the Market Place, my cabinet is full, but I still like to look at what's out there and discuss various aspects of ukulele.

It's very possible that in a couple of years I will not be as active, which has happened to me on a Nikon forum where before I bought all the gear I wanted, I was an avid poster, but now 5 years later, I visit the same amount of time, but post far less.

Dude. You need somebody to leave all those ukes to.

PM me and I'll give you the details you need to put me in your will. :)

I found a little corner of UU I like to hang out on and I don't venture out to the main threads that often.

From what I've seen, many of the topics tend to repeat and since I've most likely offered up my two cents in the past, it doesn't seem like I need to keep repeating thoughts that can be searched. I pop in to welcome people, spectate a toxic thread, or to see what's up with UU.

It is what it is. Although I will add I've noticed that "Aloha" spirit and community was more prevalent when I first got here, and now I see more and more of the typical trolling and name calling hid behind the anonymity of the internet.

It is what it is and what we make it to be.

GET OUTTA MY HEAD!!

He said word for word, what I have to say about UU. The only difference is, I would've probably used a little better punctuation and diction. ;) Seriously, he hit spot on what I think about this place.

Seems like a bogus question as why would you be in my house?

Given that we never talk, you'll have to give me the benefit of the doubt in terms of trying to read your comment as either genuine or joking.

But, you know what I mean. Too many people online are quick to post something completely out of character than what they'd actually say to someone face to face. Internet bravery is an odd thing. I've had the ability to meet a large number of people I've conversed with online, and there have been a couple that offline were so much cooler and easy to deal with than their online persona.

It's not melancholia (the wintertime, i.e. now, is usually the most active time on UU), or the State of UU.

It's the state of the ukulele.

Haha...Cool...it is the state of the UU....not the Ukulele..

since there are very few members that post on the UU from Asia(Singapore,Thailand,Japan,China,Hong Kong,Taiwan,Korea...etc) and even Hawaii for various reasons.... seems like the uke may be slowing down...but there is a larger ukulele fan base for the uke than just here on the UU....IMO

Last edited:
I used to post regularly, but don't post much these days. I do visit the site nearly every day as a lurker, but don't contribute like I used to. My reason is I am not as active with the uke as I was due to health reasons. I still play, but not as well as I used to due to those health limitations. I used to have a lot of ukulele projects, but for the same reason, don't anymore. It might be my own mind, but I don't feel I have as much value to contribute as I once did. As my daughter has gotten older, now a senior in high school, I don't have as much interaction with the kids in the community as I did as I used to teach and play for the younger kids as she was growing up. Now, the older kids and teenagers have their own lives, and other interests. Some of them still play around with the ukulele, but many times it is lost amongst their other activities. I'm still around, just been slowing down over the years.

Given that we never talk, you'll have to give me the benefit of the doubt in terms of trying to read your comment as either genuine or joking.

But, you know what I mean. Too many people online are quick to post something completely out of character than what they'd actually say to someone face to face. Internet bravery is an odd thing. I've had the ability to meet a large number of people I've conversed with online, and there have been a couple that offline were so much cooler and easy to deal with than their online persona.

hahaha...if you're at NAMM this year, I'lll try to stop by as long as you're at the uke section...NAMM is way too big!!

hahaha...if you're at NAMM this year, I'lll try to stop by as long as you're at the uke section...NAMM is way too big!!

Definitely will be at NAMM; I work for GHS Strings, after all. I'll mainly be in our booth in Hall C.

Some of us don't always have a lot of time for the Net, and there are a lot of sites that demand our attention (a growing number, it seems)... but we still love the ukulele.

I don't come here as often as I used to. Perhaps it's because I got tired of responding to so many of the same threads and questions repeated over the years; I simply ran out of new things to say. Perhaps it's because I prefer to arrange and play music than talk about it. Perhaps it's also because often I simply read threads without commenting, so my presence isn't noted as much.

UU used to be way more about the aloha spirit and filled a need for community and social interaction for me, but it has acquired some trollish members over the last couple of years. Every forum has them (just like in real life) but this one was better than that for a long while. A few of them have shaped up and dropped their constant snarkiness or have left, some are still over-reactive needlessly abusive name callers, and I have to use the ignore button. Seems to me that now when I try to help someone or attempt a thoughtful post, I more often get a cold shoulder or slammed, so meh. I can get that from my own toxic dysfunctional family. I have gone several months at a time without bothering to post because of this. Maybe others feel the same way.

I am working though UU+ and enjoying it. I currently have the roadtrip Clara and may comment about that later, or just thoroughly enjoy it and keep my observations to myself.

I also like to lurk on FMM and some of the guitar forums now too. Or read a book.

Last edited:
UU used to be way more about the aloha spirit and filled a need for community and social interaction for me, but it has acquired some trollish members over the last couple of years. Every forum has them (just like in real life) but this one was better than that for a long while. A few of them have shaped up and dropped their constant snarkiness or have left, some are still over-reactive needlessly abusive name callers, and I have to use the ignore button. Seems to me that now when I try to help someone or attempt a thoughtful post, I more often get a cold shoulder or slammed, so meh. I can get that from my own toxic dysfunctional family. I have gone several months at a time without bothering to post because of this. Maybe others feel the same way.

I am working though UU+ and enjoying it. I currently have the roadtrip Clara and may comment about that later, or just thoroughly enjoy it and keep my observations to myself.

I also like to lurk on FMM and some of the guitar forums now too. Or read a book.

Since you brought it up, I have to admit, that is one of the other reasons I don't participate as often. I don't do well with drama, especially internet drama. I have always avoided it whenever possible..

105,984 is the current number of registered UU members, which does not include the lurkers.

I know a lot of members here in California that used to be prominent on the UU that are now full time performing musicians. They tell me they still read, but don't have the time to post.

Forum bullies exist all over, but the UU is still more civil (thanks moderators) than others I participate in.

The UU is an encyclopedia of information for people searching for anything 'ukulele. Ric

For all those nostalgic members who miss the good ol' days.
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?8411-Growing-pains/page2

That was cool to read, Mike. Other than you, not one (maybe haole, occasionally) still on UU.

And even back in the "aloha" days, bitching about bad spirit on contest threads. So, human nature was always there -- it's just that one remembers the past as more "aloha" than it truly was; just as we all remember our kids making us laugh when they were learning to ride a two-wheeler bicycle, and yet we tend to forget their teenage years when they whipped us with our own leather belt while we lay, facedown, on the living room sofa, tearfully wishing they would move out.

Life's memories are funny that way.

Top Bottom