People cycling out of UU

Just that we've finally resolved the low G versus high G debate.

it's high G exclusively from here on out. Any threads to the contrary will be unceremoniously closed by the Mods. But no, you didn't miss anything, Pete.

Thanks , nice to hear about high G , its about time . Merry Christmas to Everyone.

CeeJay, just in case I feel I must clarify I'm personally not having issues with misunderstandings as you noted (and that guy from Wales is someone I like a lot!! :D). I grew up with old people when I was young and am older now so I span a broad time period and probably have a better grasp of the last 110 years than most here. I'm also fluent in different versions, variations, usages, slang and patois of English.

Well, cool...I'm a bit lost on the "guy from Wales is someone I like a lot" part though.........? please to shine a little light on my befuddlement :D

I'll bite....gently ....often what is seen as toxic or trolling ,is a misguided attempt at wit or banter ....forgetting that there is:

a) A generation gap.

b) A lack of comprehension of each nations sense of humour.

c) Misunderstanding of a common language.

d) But the most important is this one ...when you hear the phrase "I play the ukelele"..once upon a time it meant one thing and one style.

That has changed so dramatically on this third Wave of popularity and often leads now to the bust ups and crossed wires .

So many different methods , styles and schools of thought .......and so many different levels of experience.

Still ,it's been fun,mostly.

All your points are valid, but they've also been offered up as an "apology" for someone just being an ass.

From what I've seen lately is when a thread starts to go sideways someone will step in and say "let's keep the aloha spirit in mind" (or something to that effect), and then that person gets attacked from a barrage of people implying first amendment rights, opposing ideas are good, "civil" discussion is needed, etc. etc.

Usually that person is genuinely imbedded in the "aloha spirit" or from Hawaii where it's not only practiced, but an actual law. The people who say the forum Is different aren't romanticizing something that never truly existed, because at one time, when UU was smaller, it did exist.

I think people come aboard now a days trying to establish themselves, to puff out their chests and be noticed as the UU alpha when really we are all guests of the people who truly do own the forum, Rayan, Aaron and Aldrine. Their goal was to spread aloha through the ukulele and the forum is their playground where they allow us to play. We lose sight of that. We think it's ours to control and it's not. This forum is by no means out of control and is still one of the friendliest on the Internet . . . but it isn't as aloha as it used to be and that's not me waxing for the old days.

Like a growing family, as the generations pass, we lose some of our culture and start to blend with the larger society and the elders sit back and mourn the loss of traditions, and cultural identity. The UU Ohana grew fast, and we're just experiencing the result of that growth. We also have less of the original posters participating, many of which are from Hawaii and live that aloha spirit, so there are fewer examples to listen to, and learn from by example.

When people say it's changed, it's because it has.

Are change and growth a good thing?

Not always. But like I said in my earlier post. It is what is or what we make it to be.

Nobody answered my question about the darned ignore list. I guess I'm being ignored--nice people! :eek:ld:

If you click on the member's profile, below their picture and name is a list of options. One is "add to ignore list." Basically it just replaces their posts with a message that says something like "this person is on your ignore list" and you don't see what they've written.

It comes in handy from time to time but really, how hard is it to just ignore what someone's written if you don't like it? I mean - this is an internet forum, if we don't like it, we don't have to look. Easy peasy.

Nobody answered my question about the darned ignore list. I guess I'm being ignored--nice people! :eek:ld:

I believe that it does as it says on the tin. It ignores that persons post on your browser view of the forum .....

There are a couple of people on here with whom I have had a run in. I have tried to build bridges to no avail.:(..I therefore assume that they have put me on the "ignore" list....I know that Hippie Dribble openly told me that he was going to do this (and fairplay to him, he was open about it) over something I wrote on another thread ...which I forget , he said that he did not want to read my posts and was putting me on his "ignore list" . This is for information purposes only and by way of example ,not raking up old spats. Just to be CRYSTAL CLEAR on that point please .

I presume that it must also work on the PM side of things as well.

Try it on me for a day and see if it "blanks " me....I have never tried it.

The question I have is can you find out who is ignoring you..because you could save time not responding to their post in a thread .

Last edited:
This might be a little off subject, but it does come up on threads all over the internet in forums. I belong to many forums of different interests, and when someone is called out for saying something that might not be so popular is, "Freedom of speech". One thing we all need to remember, is "freedom of speech & exppression" is an American thing. Not all countries or cultures recognize that in their constitution. When I served in the Air Force overseas, I would hear Americans try to impose their American "rights" there, and one thing they forgot was, they weren't in the United States there. They were guests in another country that may, or may not recognize the same rights we enjoy and practice here. That needs to be respected, period. Another thing, being a veteran, don't believe in "free" speech. Sure, the right is free, but you are not free from repercussions of that speech or expression. Just because you may have the right to an opinion, or the right to say it, the question should be, "SHOULD" you say it? Not always. An example would be, someone may have the freedom to think or even say that my wife is a <insert derogotory adjective here>. However, when you come into my home and feel the need to express that free speech. Ok, you have free speech, but you are bound to get your A$$ whooped for expressing that free speech in my home. You are not free of the repercussion of that speech. Free speech is a myth. When you are a guest of someone in their home, whether it be a real home or place, or virtual (forums), it is a private place owned by the creator of it, or home/property owner, and you do not have free speech there. When I am in a forum, I may or may not agree with something that is practiced there, but I also find it isn't my place to challenge that as a guest there. Free Speech is not free. It comes at a cost. The "right" came at a cost from our veterans, and it also comes at a cost to those that feel the need to practice that freedom via repercussions of what they say.

Last edited:
I put somebody on ignore once. He was a horrible troll. Know what happened? I kept un-ignoring him because I had to see what outrageous thing he had said. He is still on ignore, but he got permanently banned.

I really hate to say this, but I'm getting a little tired of "the Aloha Spirit" stuff. It's a truly nice idea and really should be followed, but I hate being nagged and nagged and having stuff rammed down my throat.

We are not Hawaiians; probably most of us are mainlanders. Many of us are not nicey, nicey people. We live in a country that mostly allows us to say what's on our minds. I guess I spent twenty one years in the Air Force to help keep it that way. I'm very careful not to swear or curse on the net to keep from offending any one, but I really like to say what's on my mind without being censored or told over and over to "be nice".

Lighten up people! We're not in Kindergarten anymore. People get angry during debates--get over it! :eek:ld:

For all those nostalgic members who miss the good ol' days.
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?8411-Growing-pains/page2

Did anybody read this aside from Coolkayaker? This thread was started when UU was just one year old. I'd say the first year was pretty clean, but after that we've always had a couple active trolls at any given time, so all the missing the ol' days is pretty much selective memory. The cool thing is I've always been able to count the trolls on one hand even when the member count soared. The only new-ish thing is the regular bitching that things aren't like they used to be (which doesn't help).

Did anybody read this aside from Coolkayaker? This thread was started when UU was just one year old. I'd say the first year was pretty clean, but after that we've always had a couple active trolls at any given time, so all the missing the ol' days is pretty much selective memory. The cool thing is I've always been able to count the trolls on one hand even when the member count soared. The only new-ish thing is the regular bitching that things aren't like they used to be (which doesn't help).

Sorry off Topic --- but I just noticed your "slogan " next to your piccie.....is that by any chance from an unfortunate "X Factor / Got Talent" or similar clip from you Tube ? anj attempt at a Harry Nilsson / Mariah Carey(?) song.....sorry ..back On.;)

Definition of a troll please. Someone who's not nice? Might just as well define snarky while we're at it. Probably some of us newbies might need it.

Down with trolls (?) and snarky (?) peeps! :eek:ld:

Sorry off Topic --- but I just noticed your "slogan " next to your piccie.....is that by any chance from an unfortunate "X Factor / Got Talent" or similar clip from you Tube ? anj attempt at a Harry Nilsson / Mariah Carey(?) song.....sorry ..back On.;)

That's correct. Ken Lee!

[...] Lighten up people! We're not in Kindergarten anymore. People get angry during debates--get over it! :eek:ld:
Nope. The people who get angry are the ones who need to get over it. Anger management and all that. A lack of self-control is not a positive personality trait.

We do not expect the majority of members to have to put up with a minority of angry, abusive "debaters". People who cannot hold discussions without losing their tempers are on the wrong forum.

Americans' constitutional "free speech" only means that the government can't silence you. In a public forum, saying whatever comes to mind--with whatever attitude you put on it--can lead to other people ignoring you, or choosing to stay away from thread conversations you're in. I try always to be encouraging and kind, and I am completely turned off by condescending sarcasm. It's not funny, and it's not fun to be around.

As for participation, I'm not posting as much. When I started in 2011, each morning when I hit "new posts," I'd get four pages of threads. Now it's maybe two, and many of the conversations have recycled (as others have said). I also have passed through UAS and have the instruments that make me happy, so I'm not shopping. I also have developed a coterie of UU friends that I am in regular email contact. I've been participating in Seasons challenges since July 2012 and it's helped me a lot, but I'm not getting any better at learning a song quickly and posting it, and it's nearly impossible to watch all the submissions, so I'm resting from it for a while.
Nevertheless, I lurk and I often start PM conversations with someone based on something in a thread.

I still think UU is the best, happiest resource for uke players and I'm grateful for it. And I salute the mods; I think they do a great,job.

I haven't read it. I wont bother really I'm not waxing nostalgic here. I was guilty of doing much the same on another site but for the opposite reasons. There I long for the sarcastic slam your weak thoughts to the ground and grind them to a pulp of the old guard.

I only stated such in a random thoughts temporary thread though, and only because a 6 post per 24 hour period was implemented.

~AL~

Nope. The people who get angry are the ones who need to get over it. Anger management and all that. A lack of self-control is not a positive personality trait.

We do not expect the majority of members to have to put up with a minority of angry, abusive "debaters". People who cannot hold discussions without losing their tempers are on the wrong forum.

Well, I guess I'm outta step again--my bad. I'll just have to work on my "Aloha Spirit". Have a very nice Christmas and a friendly New Year, Everyone. :eek:ld:

Last edited:
I really hate to say this, but I'm getting a little tired of "the Aloha Spirit" stuff. It's a truly nice idea and really should be followed, but I hate being nagged and nagged and having stuff rammed down my throat.

We are not Hawaiians; probably most of us are mainlanders. Many of us are not nicey, nicey people. We live in a country that mostly allows us to say what's on our minds. I guess I spent twenty one years in the Air Force to help keep it that way. I'm very careful not to swear or curse on the net to keep from offending any one, but I really like to say what's on my mind without being censored or told over and over to "be nice".

Lighten up people! We're not in Kindergarten anymore. People get angry during debates--get over it! :eek:ld:

I wrote a paper in graduate school that was predicated on the notion that anger is not a feeling, but rather a strategy or manipulation designed to change behavior of others.

Pretty much all "feelings" can be attributed to reactions to events that are beyond our control. Sadness comes from a sense of loss. Fear from perception of impending doom. Love from a sense of uniquely rewarding affiliation. Joy from strong satisfaction with what is going on around you.

Strangely enough, none of these natural feelings are unique to humans. Both research and common observation have clearly demonstrated that nearly all but the simpler organisms demonstrate sadness, fear, joy and love. What those same animals don't demonstrate is anger (snarling tigers and grizzly bears are not angry, they are hungry). And, perhaps that is because anger requires a cognitive process where the behavior of others is evaluated and found to be unnacceptable; thereby triggering an over the top reaction that has as its primary reason for being; to get the other person to change their behavior. Just ask yourself if there was ever a time that you got angry and could not relate it to the unnacceptable behavior of others (or yourself as in hitting your finger while trying to drive a nail or chopping onions).

So, yes, some people get angry during debates, (though most do not.) But, in my view, that anger, when expressed, is is a choice and not a natural feeling. Attempts at manipulation rank pretty low on my scale of acceptable human behavior. There are a lot of things that people might do well to lighten up over, but giving in to manipulative outbursts is not one of them, in my view.

People who see a need to defend their right to use anger as a tactic are likely to see things differently from me. The "ignore" feature is here for a good reason.

Top Bottom