Sound-ports on concerts?

iDavid

Reaction score
I have a sound port on my Kinnard Tenor and love how it brings the sound to me as I play. I assume the same would be true of a concert, but want to make sure I am not missing something.

thoughts on sound-ports on concerts?

Sound ports blast the sound back to the player regardless of size.

I have a Pohaku Aero-Uke and it always sounds great due to the sound ports aimed back at the player.

Have three concert/solid KOA custom made for me, they all have ports & boy are they wonderful. Sound goes right to me

sorry to change the subject David....:)

I was hanging out with Andrew today and he was working on your Pono Mango Baritone....wow!! sounds and looks good...congrats...:)

btw not sure a side sound port works on a concert...but never saw one with a SSP

I am so glad you guys take the time to set them up so well. Andrew picked that one out for me, says it has something special . I listened to tons of sound samples and the gloss mango baritone was just fantastic.

Back on subject....

Never played a concert with a sound port either, hence the question.

Kinnard is about to have a price increase, so I got on the list. Looking at the options.

My Donaldson concert pineapple of fiddleback Myrtle has a side port and a banana shaped front port on the lower front corner. It projects both directions. The absence of a center hole allows the entire top to vibrate like a back does. The Eddy Finn shark fin shaped hole works well. Willy Nelson's Trigger certainly seems to defy sound hole theory...then again maybe it's amplified..........

grace and peace,

I've built concerts with side side ports. In my experience, like with tenors, it offers the player a certain degree of response while not sacrificing forward projection. I wouldn't call it huge but it is certainly noticeable. I started adding SSPs about 7 years ago and now all of my ukes have SSPs unless otherwise requested.

I have a Donaldson cutaway concert - Port Orford Cedar top, bird's-eye maple back and sides - with a side sound port.
100_1822.jpg 100_1819.jpg

My absolute favorite instrument. And when I'm playing in a group, that side port helps me hear it.

-Kurt​

Top Bottom