Mya Moe Loudness?

Paul December

Reaction score
I've been reading & listening to Mya Moe reviews and get conflicting reports...
...some say they are their loudest, while others say they one of their quietest ukes. I didn't see any patterns based on scale or wood. Is it simply the nature of hand made instruments, or am I missing something :confused:

It depends on the uke, the strings and the player. I've has a soprano, concert and tenor Mya Moe. The soprano was relatively quiet. The concert is louder than some concerts and not as loud as others. I'd say it is on on the quiet side but not by much. The tenor is pretty much as loud as an average tenor.

I posted a comparison of four concert ukes that might have precipitated this discussion. The comparison involved a vita style concert which is a very loud instrument. A Koalana concert which is one of the loudest concerts I've ever heard, and a Kanilea concert strung low G which gives it an entirely different timber. If I took four other random concerts and compared them to the Mya Moe, it would not seem quiet but pretty typical in volume.

Last edited:
Haven't heard a quiet Mya Moe as of yet.

If I had to generalize, I would say that my Mya Moe myrtle tenor would be somewhere in the middle of the volume scale compared to my other tenors. It does have a K&K pickup and I do play it plugged in occasionally. And the tone is beautiful.

Well, I guess that over the years they have improved their design and build. So maybe later ones are a bit louder than earlier ones?

It's been too long ago since I had my Mya-moe super soprano, but I do not remember it as quiet.

I've owned four MMs--redwood/walnut baritone, mango supersop, sycamore sop and koa tenor.

On the relative scale of loudness, all were relatively quiet.

Loud ukes, to my ear, that I have owned: KoAloha (esp the smaller ones, which I find brash), vintage Martins, new Kiwayas.

Gordon's take on it (esp. at 4:15 minutes):

My KoOlau Koa Custom is not the loudest uke I have owned, perhaps slightly less than average volume, yet it is amazing sounding...so perfectly intoned, and warm (a Koa tendency).

Last edited:
I have played a few MMs. I do think they are slightly on the quiet side, but only slightly. That being said there is a big difference between "quiet" and "dead" sounding. The MMs that I played were not dead sounding. The actually sounded incredible. The sound was full and very much "alive". I found this confusing at first because as a general rule I typically thought that louder ukes also tend to have better tone. But I have since changed my opinion on that. In my very limited experience MMs sound great but definitely wont be as loud as a KoAloha or Timms for example.

I have played a few MMs. I do think they are slightly on the quiet side, but only slightly. That being said there is a big difference between "quiet" and "dead" sounding. The MMs that I played were not dead sounding. The actually sounded incredible. The sound was full and very much "alive". I found this confusing at first because as a general rule I typically thought that louder ukes also tend to have better tone. But I have since changed my opinion on that. In my very limited experience MMs sound great but definitely wont be as loud as a KoAloha or Timms for example.

This hits the nail on the head. There is a big difference between "quiet and dead". I agree with dirtiestkidever's assessment!

Quiet enough that you wanted more?

Quiet enough that I wanted less: I sold them all. LOL Actually, I owned five, now that I think of it (I forgot my koa supersop pineapple). lol Don't misunderstand--I sold them all for other reasons, unrelated to the indisputable play-ability and charm of the Mya Moe brand.

They do have low action, impeccable intonation, and are a joy to play. I would suggest getting a "loud" wood (e.g spruce top) if you were going to order one, my friend. And, if you want a pickup on any instrument, the MM might be the one.

Key: I think part of the reason they may not be as loud--a factor--is the body size. Mya Moe's are smaller-bodied (and thinner-bodied, i.e. narrower front-to-back) than their counterparts, so that is a possible factor in their volume.

1131.jpg851Full.jpg

Last edited:
I have a spruce/walnut MM tenor and while I would say it's my quietest tenor, it by far has the best tone. And honestly, the volume I feel has been increasing as it opens up (I've had it since September)

Key: I think part of the reason they may not be as loud--a factor--is the body size. Mya Moe's are smaller-bodied (and thinner-bodied, i.e. narrower front-to-back) than their counterparts, so that is a possible factor in their volume.
View attachment 74301View attachment 74302

I wouldn't necessarily assume the smaller body thickness is a major factor - I have a spruce/mahogany concert kala thinline and that is by FAR my loudest uke! :)

Like, Dana, I agree with dirt's assessment...which happens to be precisely what Gordon himself says in the video. lol

Whoops. I actually didn't watch the vid. Though I may have watched it a long time ago which could have planted the idea in my head.

I've had two Mya Moes the first one A myrtle tenor opened up nicely after a year and was just right on the loudness scale,,,the banjo uke well you can guess the answer on that one , but my Koaloha tenor was loud straight from new it also made me think about weather the fuss about hand made ukes that you have to wait a nearly a year for is worthwhile , I would say with out doubt the Beansprout uke is a great purchase but as for the normal style of uke ,,,well I sold my Mya Moe Tenor and stayed with the Koaloha

Top Bottom