1950s Martin Tenor Ukulele -- $1400 . . . good value??

For a beginner, I'd be more in the T1K camp. I've played these in stores and they do sound and play quite nice.

The best thing is that you are getting a decent first ukulele, not that $100 ukes are necessarily bad, but it will return most of your investment if and when you want to move on. My first uke was a soprano KoAloha that returned what I paid when I sold it.

I like the brighter sound of koa and coming from a soprano, that may be more appealing.

Finally, If you want a vintage mahogany, you still have a grand left to get one.

John

By the way I am not recommending that you buy my T1. I am pointing out that $1400 is a crazy price for a vintage Martin unless it is all original and mint. As a uke its not a good choice for a beginner. Not just because of the cost but because vintage ukes have issues. The tuners are harder to deal with, and they have suffered effects of aging. If you understand what you are getting and enjoy vintage that's one thing but just looking for a player, there are many better choices.

I'm still here😃
Reading carefully and learning lots! Today I went back to shop with Martin tenor. Today I noted treble strings sounded quite dull. Also, I tried some comparables from Kamaka and Other builders. As a result I'm thinking new, not vintage.
Unfortunately I can't locate any new Martins in town. I must say, tho, I am not a fan of new Martin guitars. . . .

Toque, katysax is a long-time and respected UUer. Honest and kind. Her Martin tenor would be less expensive and much better than a new Martin. Something to think about.
#vintagemartin. #retainedvalue

I'm still here��
Reading carefully and learning lots! Today I went back to shop with Martin tenor. Today I noted treble strings sounded quite dull. Also, I tried some comparables from Kamaka and Other builders. As a result I'm thinking new, not vintage.
Unfortunately I can't locate any new Martins in town. I must say, tho, I am not a fan of new Martin guitars. . . .
Hey the strings may be old or a cheap brand...dont discount a uke because of this....of course the it could be not, but most times they are in a shop with vintage instruments

Top Bottom