Steve Grimes Tenor Ukulele

henrydu

Reaction score
I'm so lucky to have a change to play Grimes ukulele from a friend.
This uke had beautiful Ziricote back&sides, and redwood top.
It sounds fantastic. ;)
I become his big fan and hope to order one soon. Does anyone like Steve Grimes here too?

Here is the sound sample that I play "Keanuhea" of Daniel's song.
https://soundcloud.com/henrydu/01-keanuhea-sg-sample

Some pictures I took by iphone as below:
IMG_0250.jpgIMG_0249.jpgIMG_0247.jpgIMG_0246.jpg

Last edited:
The Grimes ukulele is definitely a remarkable instrument...you gotta give it a try Stan

Steve has been building guitar for over 30 years, he's more well known in the guitar world. This uke is one of the best ukulele i've ever played. Perfect intonation, remarkable sustain and wonderful warmth and clarity to each note. Very well balanced...and very easy to play. He's very passionate in what's he's doing, he pays close attention to details especially the sounding of the soundboard...I think his work deserves more attention in the uke community.

Henry....Great playing...oh couldn't see the pics you mentioned...

Last edited:
Thanks for reminding me. I'm not familiar with the operating on this forum. :eek:
Already uploading some pics to the original post.

I was able to try a redwood/zirocote tenor when Steve attended a luthiers convention here in Washington this past summer. He struck me as a humble man for such an accomplished builder. And yes, I'm a fan too.

Your short list list of ukuleles is very impressive Henry. A Grimes instrument would certainly fit there as he was Eric DeVine's mentor.

Last edited:
I've learned of a new builder, courtesy of Don and Henry.

I was able to try that redwood/zirocote tenor when Steve attended a luthiers convention here in Washington this past summer. He struck me as a humble man for such an accomplished builder. And yes, I'm a fan too.

Your short list list of ukuleles is very impressive Henry. A Grimes instrument would certainly fit there as he was Eric DeVine's mentor.

Very glad to hear that you like Grimes too.
God!! I didn't know that Steve was Eric's mentor before!! What a surprise to me. :)

i have an all koa grimes coming to me soon. Not only does he make amazing ukuleles, but he's also one of the nicest people I've ever met.

Yes I may get one Jen .... :) you all are not making it easy on me..:)

this is funny you are the one who told me not to get one...haha...:)

Ha ha danny I told him this initially 2 years ago....he's making it sound like it was recently...
I seem to remember someone giving you and others a hard time on a certain builder until 4 months ago and now he raves about him...way more times shorter time than me..Ha ha

Last edited:
Nice Uke ... and that is a long wait ... long time to play my Ponos ... HAHA ...

Henrydu, looks like the incredible uke is in some serious player hands. Very nicely done on the sound sample!!! I love Daniel Ho's instrumentals (he also has a very since singing voice) and you did that one justice.

Henrydu, looks like the incredible uke is in some serious player hands. Very nicely done on the sound sample!!! I love Daniel Ho's instrumentals (he also has a very since singing voice) and you did that one justice.

Eddie, thanks for your nice comments.
Daniel Ho is the one of my favorite musicians. He just came to Taiwan and brought us a wonderful concert two weeks ago.
Daniel Ho.jpgDaniel Ho_02.jpg

I remembered that Len's favorite strings is southcoast HML-RW, right?
This set of strings fit very well on Grimes Uke. :)

Yes Henry I still use the Southcoast HML-RW strings...but I am also using Oasis with Fremont Soloist Low G on a lot of my ukes now(or again)....:)

Top Bottom