G chord finger position

I think it all depends on what you're playing. My progress has admittedly been very slow, but I mostly wanna accompany my singing. I'm not interested in playing jazz or classical or rock. Most of my fingerpicking I do with music or by ear. If one wants to play "Flight of the Bumble Bee" or do some fast bebop improvizations, then he/she needs tricky fretting. I'm doing moderately well with book chords.

"It's in the Book!!". Anybody remember Stan Freberg and "Grandma's Lye Soap"? :eek:ld:

"Ah yes, it will be a brighter day tomorrow, they will come home. It's in the Book!!"

Jim, he was really, really great. My friends and I all had his records, and we quoted him all the time just as you did. "Just the facts, Mam". Remember, Jack and the Dragon-net? Good memories! Happy New Year! :eek:ld:

OK, so now I'm confused. I originally learned this fingering from whatever book I started on the uke with: http://www.ukulele-chords.com/G

And I struggle with it constantly. Now, some are saying pointer finger on A string, middle finger on C string, and ring finger on E string? And in another thread, the D chord was middle finger, ring finger, pinky instead of pointer, middle, ring?

No wonder the whole muscle memory thing is coming so slowly to me! I'm not actually sure which forms I'm supposed to remember!

OK, so now I'm confused. I originally learned this fingering from whatever book I started on the uke with: http://www.ukulele-chords.com/G

And I struggle with it constantly. Now, some are saying pointer finger on A string, middle finger on C string, and ring finger on E string? And in another thread, the D chord was middle finger, ring finger, pinky instead of pointer, middle, ring?

No wonder the whole muscle memory thing is coming so slowly to me! I'm not actually sure which forms I'm supposed to remember!
Just do it like they are showing you, and quit letting everyone confuse you about it. That way is as good as any.

...I'm a beginner player...I find it much, much easier to hold and slide the chord around, if I have these fingers reversed (middle finger on A string, pointer finger on C string)...
...and the ring finger on the E string, G (0232). This makes perfect sense, especially if your playing in the Key of G. C ( 0003)=000(3R) or (0003p)-inkey -easy; D7 (2020) or (barre2,0003) is easy, Em (0432) = 0pRM is easy too. I will have to practice LuceAalgh's G fingering. You have good instincts Luce.

When I work out a new song I try to use chord shapes that make the chord progressions in that particular song easier. Thank you OP.

I try to use chord shapes that make the chord progressions in that particular song easier.
THIS is the crucial point.
Always regard a song as progression of chords and try to find your (!) easiest way through. It might even become necessary to use different fingerings for the same chord throughout the same song - and I am not talking about inversions yet (BTW: ukulelehelper.com lists a total of 12 different fingerings for G)...

Last edited:
Top Bottom