Ukulele Tuning Problems

ukulee

Reaction score
I just got my first ukulele. It's a makala shark, and I put aquila strings on it. I've been trying to tune it for days, and no matter what I do it always just sounds dark and off. I've been tuning by ear, and I'd like to think I have a good ear because I've been playing music for about 10 years, but never a string instrument.

Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong?

If you have never played a stringed instrument get yourself a clip on tuner. Short of that search out some you tube videos where you at least have reference notes to listen to . Very few ukulele players do not own a clip on headstock tuner.

If you have just put the Aquila strings on they literally stretch out for the first 2 -4 days. This means they are always going out of tune ( flat or dark sounding) as they stretch and settle in. Another good reason to have a tuner.

Last edited:
It's tough to just guess. Without a tuner or other reference, suggest retuning by following the approach within this short video. The strings may not be perfect GCEA, but they will be in the proper sound relationship to each other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uPPqVyuoA8&sns=em

If the instrument still sounds off, then it may be an intonation problem caused by the bridge not being aligned properly. Would suggest having a tech check it out at this point.

If you have never played a stringed instrument get yourself a clip on tuner. Short of that search out some you tube videos where you at least have reference notes to listen to . Very few ukulele players do not own a clip on headstock tuner.

If you have just put the Aquila strings on they literally stretch out for the first 2 -4 days. This means they are always going out of tune ( flat or dark sounding) as they stretch and settle in. Another good reason to have a tuner.

I'm trying to avoid getting a clip on tuner if at all possible, but I will do that if nothing else works. I have used several different youtube videos and apps to try to tune it.

I have noticed the strings stretch a ton, but it's not in tune even the second after I tune it.

Thanks for your suggestions!

It could be that one or more strings is off by an octave. I can't direct you to an on line site right now, but there are a few that have ukulele tuners that you can tune to. Just search for "ukulele tuner". There are also free tuner apps for your phone, provided you have a smart phone. I have one called "Easy Ukulele Tuner". I use it if I'm trying out ukes in the store. It works well. If you tune each string to some sort of tuner, I don't know how it would not sound in tune.

You really should consider getting a tuner of some sort. Apps are available. You say your an experienced musician. Your ear is probably pretty good, use a tuning fork gCEA -My dog has fleas - I believe the A on uke is A-440. (someone correct me if I'm wrong on this).

Even if you have real good pitch it is necessary to be in the same tune as others you play with. The standard for this is an electronic tuner.

I just bought an electronic tuner. Thanks everyone for your help :D

You've been given very good advice so far. Please be sure you've installed the strings in the right order, too. If not, you may be able to get it to tune and hold, but it will never sound right.

I just wanted to give an update for anyone having similar problems. For the first 3-4 days the strings really were just stretching out, so that it didn't sound in tune almost immediately after I tuned it. After that I could get it pretty close. I just got my tuner in the mail, and I was only slightly off by ear, but WOW what a difference it makes to have it spot on. Thanks again for your advice everyone!

I have a Shark, too and have really enjoyed it. I still need to change out the original strings, but it stays in tune well, so I have procrastinated it. I have a pack of Martin Clear Flourocarbon strings, that I got on sale, ready for whenever I decide to change them out.

So, now that you have your tuner, I'm curious as to whether or not your ear was accurate. I didn't use a tuner for a while, thinking my ear was good enough. I was flat.

I'm not sure of the proper terminology, but I was 1-3 lines from perfect in the sharp direction on G, E, and A. I struggled a little more with the low C, and I had that all the way to C# when I tuned it sigh my tuner, but for some reason I was having a weird day where I could just not tune that string. I'm pretty sure on the other days it wasn't so off :p

I'm not sure of the proper terminology, but I was 1-3 lines from perfect in the sharp direction on G, E, and A. I struggled a little more with the low C, and I had that all the way to C# when I tuned it sigh my tuner, but for some reason I was having a weird day where I could just not tune that string. I'm pretty sure on the other days it wasn't so off :p

For what it's worth I am a guitar player and through years of experience I have gotten pretty decent at tuning my guitar by ear. Naturally I assumed I could do the same with my uke but it just sounded off - same as you described. As soon as I used a clip on tuner to get it *perfect*, it made a world of difference. Just wanted to let you know you aren't the only one who went through this :)

Top Bottom