Season 150 - New Year, New Jersey!

UkeCan1

Reaction score
Happy New Year, friends! Here is your invitation to our 2015 Seasons New Year party ... here in the great state of New Jersey!

Our theme this week is my beloved home state of New Jersey. Bring us a song about and/or mentioning New Jersey, and/or a person, place, or thing associated with New Jersey ... or a song by a New Jersey artist. There are heaps of terrific songs in both categories.

Bonus points (just for fun – they don’t “count” for anything other than coolness – probably) for doing a New Jersey song by a New Jersey artist – in other words, one that fits both categories. There are lots of these – living in New Jersey seems to inspire that in many of us. I myself have written several. And yeah, there’s plenty of irreverent humor in most New Jersey songs – we love to poke fun at ourselves and our state – and you are welcome to do the same. What exit?!

Bonus points too to the first person to list all the songs I quoted in my opening song.

It’s my special joy this week to also introduce you to my many talented friends. I live in New Jersey, and I know a whole lot of really amazing brilliant songwriters and musicians you’ve probably never heard. So this week is my chance to share them with you – I hope some of you will discover some new favorites and maybe cover some of these terrific folks. I’ll love that, they’ll love that, and of course, if you make a happy new discovery, you’ll love it. It’s a party, so come meet some new friends!

No limits, no restrictions ... you and your uke are welcome as you are ... and if you like adding music and video tracks and other cool stuff, that’s fun too. Dress and decorate for a party, or come as you are. You can also do songs about the New Year, if you wish.

I especially encourage collaborating – with other Seasonistas, with new first-time Seasonistas especially, friends, relatives, strangers off the streets – it’s a party – the more the merrier! Invite everyone you know! Or come make some new friends. Or come alone. Just come – it’s gonna be great.

And yeah, as the last line of my opening song states – Thornton Rule (this week it’s the Sinatra Rule) applies. If you are moved to do something that doesn’t quite fit – just come to the party however you wish. I want you here more than I care how you come.

Come as early as you like and stay as late as you please ... it’s New Year’s, it’s a party! Okay, not too early or late – here’s the actual timing:

It’s an eight-day party ... you can post any time between 12:00:01am Hawaii time tonight (December 28, 2014) and 11:59:59pm Hawaii time next Sunday (January 4, 2015).

In other words, we start Sunday morning December 28th in most parts of the world – 2am Sunday morning Pacific time, 5am Eastern time, 10am in the UK, 11am in most of Europe, Sunday afternoon or evening in Australasia.

We end eight full days later, Monday morning January 4th in most parts of the world – 2am Monday morning Pacific time, 5am Eastern time, 10am in the UK, 11am in most of Europe, Monday afternoon or evening in Australasia.

Season 149 continues until 11:59:59pm Hawaii time Sunday the 28th – so you can still enter over there. If you enter on Sunday, please feel free to enter your video in both Seasons ... I love double entries! (Since Season 149 host Myrna has made double-Seasons entries herself, I’m guessing she’s fine with it too.)

Click the links to see what times each Season starts and ends in your time zone.

Playlists:
Songs about or mentioning New Jersey or New Jersey people, places, or things
Songs by New Jersey artists
Songs about the New Year
Entries from new Seasonistas
Songs by Wendy's NJ musician friends
Sinatra Rule – songs that don’t fit other categories

Last edited:
Here’s my talk-through Season 150 intro:

And here are some resources to help you (I’m still filling this out J):

Famous New Jerseyans - music
Wikipedia list of New Jersey musicians
Wikipedia article on music of New Jersey
New Jersey Turnpike in popular culture
New Jersey bands and musicians
ArmpitNJ.com Top 5 songs about New Jersey

Man, if I weren’t hosting, that first page alone would have me making 20 videos this week! Who knew so many amazing musicians hailed from my home state?!

Some playlists I made for you:

New Jersey songs I’ve covered
New Jersey artists I’ve covered
Songs about New Jersey (here’s one in need of music: Jerseywocky – Rob?)

My own amazing talented New Jersey musician friends (you might know a few of these):

Mike Agranoff: YouTube / web site
Jean Rohe: YouTube / web – I first saw Jean at age 12 sing a phenomenal “Annie” spoof – she’s even more amazing 20 years later
Dave Kleiner: Spotify / Spotify / Spotify / web / “Stuck Inside New Jersey” song & album / FB / YouTube
(Note: Califon, Jackson (home of Six Flags Great Adventure), Hackensack, Bloomfield, Salem County are places in NJ)
Favorites: "If I Had a Home" / "Mexican Rabbi" / "Belly" / "Two Reasons" / "Mr Bean" / "Little Piece of Me" – written for NJ friends / "The Burtons" / "The Women Don't Like Me" / "Company Car" / "Kings Highway" / "Salesman" / "Good Friday" / "Pencil in Pennsylvania" (nowhere online?!) / "Back to Hackensack" mentions many NJ places
Carla Ulbrich: YouTube topic / YouTube / The Singing Patient
Christine DeLeon: YouTube
A Halo Called Fred: YouTube
Lords of Liechtenstein: YouTube (young brothers with a uke)
Girlyman: YouTube

Arlon Bennett: YouTube
Big Jeff DeSmedt: YouTube / YouTube
Mr. Billy – Billy Grisack (raised in NJ): YouTube
Bob McNally: YouTube – inventor of the Strumstick and the Martin Backpacker guitar – he has a few originals if you can find them – he also plays uke
Dave Haynie: YouTube
Diane Perry: web / this
Eric Sirota: web – Eric wrote a flute piece called “For Wendy” for my 18[SUP]th[/SUP] birthday
Frank Sole:
Gerry & Olga: “Bullet with a Banjo” – amazing song about Pete Seeger / “Stayin’ In”
Harmony Sue Haynie: Originals
Ilyusha Tsinadze: YouTube
Joe Giacoio: web site
Kathy Haynie: “Ham, Eggs, and Everywhere”
Ken Galipeau: web / “The Garden State” song / “Ken Sings Les” – poems of Les Barker set to music
Mark Schaffer: YouTube
Spook Handy: web
Tom Picard: YouTube / “Welcome to New Jersey”

New Jersey Seasonista songwriters:

FiL Wisneski: Originals & nearly originals
Mark Dutton (Marco D): great original song about ukes
Wendy Keilin (who the heck?!): Originals / Semi-originals / song charts

Let me know if you find or think of other great folks and/or links that belong on this list!

Last edited:
And a bit more I thought of after I made that one. You knew I would post the longest intro to any Season ever, right? Sorry about that. :)

One last thing. You know how much I love the Seasons, how much difference it’s made to me. You know how much you love them, and how much difference they’ve made for you.

Don’t you just want every ukulele player you know to experience the same joy, fun, love, support, and growth and skill development we all get here? I know I do. I’m just passionate about introducing new Seasonistas to the Seasons.

I would love more than anything, in this brand new year we are ringing in together, to welcome as many new people to our little party here as we can. I’d love to set a record for most new Seasonistas entering a Season – not because I care about the numbers, or am out to win any kind of contest – but simply as a measure of how many lives we’ve made a difference in this week.

I plan to invite and support as many new Seasonistas as I can personally – and I cannot possibly impact as many people on my own as we can as a community.

So I invite your active participation. Share your joy of the Seasons in your local uke groups, among your not-yet-Seasonista friends who play uke (or who you’d love to help get started uking J), among any online uke groups and forums or other musical communities you’re a part of, including other threads on UU. (Relevantly, of course – the Seasons are a big part of my answer to many questions, especially from beginners and others looking for more support and/or faster learning.)

Share – and invite people to the party!

Another great thing you can do (if you wish) is to help people make their first video. I made my first Seasons video when I’d been playing only 4 weeks – and I’ve rarely missed a week since. The only reason that happened (I had not yet figured out how to make a video, upload to YouTube, and all the other little things there are to figure out the first time), is because a fellow Seasonista invited me into his studio, and helped me make my first few.

Of course, once I caught the bug, it was a few short weeks before I obtained my own webcam and was able to make them much more easily in my own space. It’s a big learning and technology curve the first time – and anything we can do to help others, lowers the hurdle and helps them participate more easily.

(I’d have made my first entry even sooner, if only I’d known how!)

So, I’d love to see veteran Seasonistas actively helping new people get started – you can either bring them in as collaborators, or as solo performers – whatever works best for you and them.

There’s plenty of room here in my virtual living room – so please do invite as many friends and newcomers as you like! It’s a party – the more the merrier.

Who knows – I might just give an extra entry in the hat for each new Seasonista video you have any part in causing or inspiring.

New folks and lurkers out there – we love you and welcome you! Come on in, the water’s fine – we are having fun here and so will you. Come as you are to the party – all you need to attend is a new video of you playing a ukulele – anything will do!

If you need help, just ask, and we will help you!

If you’re within driving distance of central New Jersey, you are more than welcome in my physical studio / party room and I will help you. If you’re somewhere else – maybe someone else will offer local help. We can all offer long-distance help at the very least. Seasonistas are very friendly and welcoming.

So come join the party!

ONE MORE THING:
If you’re new, and coming up with a song that matches the theme seems too hard, you are welcome to enter a video of any song or tune or bit of noodling you wish. Don’t let the theme be the thing that stops you from entering – just come to the party in your jammies, or whatever – it’s all good!

You are important than the theme.

Happy New Year!

HAHA, YES. When I saw you up next as a host, I had a good feeling we'd be getting some good ol' New Jersey spirit up in here. And yes. She is a GREAT State. I may have left her for college, but I've since returned. Once a Jersey Boy, ALWAYS a Jersey Boy. Also, pumping ones own gas is just... weird... but I digress.

Time to flex my New Jersey artist props (because, as I'm sure anyone here from Jersey does too, I made it a point to know which of my favorite bands are from the Garden State)

On an unfortunate note, the ONE song that came to mind when you said "Jersey song by a Jersey artist" was a bit... well... inappropriate... even with laxer rules, i wouldn't cover it for this. For an idea of what I mean, its titled "Bomb New Jersey." It's a light hearted tune about growing up in 80s-90s New Jersey as a goth... but still... kinda inappropriate for the youngins. That's Voltaire for ya, anyway.

HAHA, YES. When I saw you up next as a host, I had a good feeling we'd be getting some good ol' New Jersey spirit up in here. And yes. She is a GREAT State. I may have left her for college, but I've since returned. Once a Jersey Boy, ALWAYS a Jersey Boy. Also, pumping ones own gas is just... weird... but I digress.

Time to flex my New Jersey artist props (because, as I'm sure anyone here from Jersey does too, I made it a point to know which of my favorite bands are from the Garden State)

On an unfortunate note, the ONE song that came to mind when you said "Jersey song by a Jersey artist" was a bit... well... inappropriate... even with laxer rules, i wouldn't cover it for this. For an idea of what I mean, its titled "Bomb New Jersey." It's a light hearted tune about growing up in 80s-90s New Jersey as a goth... but still... kinda inappropriate for the youngins. That's Voltaire for ya, anyway.

Mike, so happy my New Jersey theme has brought you back out of the shadows! Please feel free to share other links, band, songs, etc. you think folks (including me) should know.

Have you written any originals? If so, post some pointer to them - I'll add you to post #2.

I'm off to check out "Bomb New Jersey" now!

I'm off to check out "Bomb New Jersey" now!

It's quite a good song. Most of my local friends find it funny, if a bit crude. And Voltaire, in general, is a great artist, if you're into that kind of music, and sometimes even if you're not X3. I just want to make sure I don't accidentally get any children exposed if they're parentals aren't ok with it. That's the only reason I warn for that particular song.

And thanks for the welcome back. :) It's been a crazy time for me the past month or so, and music kinda took a major backseat to it all. I'm really glad to be back, and I'm really pumped to see I won't be missing my lovely home-state's season. :)

Also, unfortunately no. I've never really gotten the inspirational kick I've really needed to write my own stuff.

Wendy, You wicked little thing. I was planning to get back to my ukulele studies program this week after a grueling couple of months on the gig highway. Now you've gone and ruined it. As you know I am from Joisy originally, Exit 1 GSP, Thank you very much. Now I'm going to have to see how many twisted New Jersey entries I can come up with. I wish you great happiness in YOUR Season.

It's quite a good song. Most of my local friends find it funny, if a bit crude. And Voltaire, in general, is a great artist, if you're into that kind of music, and sometimes even if you're not X3. I just want to make sure I don't accidentally get any children exposed if they're parentals aren't ok with it. That's the only reason I warn for that particular song.

And thanks for the welcome back. :) It's been a crazy time for me the past month or so, and music kinda took a major backseat to it all. I'm really glad to be back, and I'm really pumped to see I won't be missing my lovely home-state's season. :)

Also, unfortunately no. I've never really gotten the inspirational kick I've really needed to write my own stuff.

Loved it, added it to the playlist. Happy you're here! Where's everyone else, I wonder? I hope people from outside New Jersey are as excited about this theme as we are ... that list of New Jersey artists is inspiring - definitely something there for everyone.

Wow, Wendy! You certainly don't do things by halves!

I immediately thought of one song and when I found the artist came from New Jersey, well; that was it - unless someone beats me to it, then I might think of something else. We'll see.

My daughter is taking me to see the Hobbit tomorrow so it'll be Monday before I can get on to it.

Meanwhile greetings from 40 miles north of old York (old Jersey is a lot further away across a bigger bit of water than the Hudson) 😆

Wendy, You wicked little thing. I was planning to get back to my ukulele studies program this week after a grueling couple of months on the gig highway. Now you've gone and ruined it. As you know I am from Joisy originally, Exit 1 GSP, Thank you very much. Now I'm going to have to see how many twisted New Jersey entries I can come up with. I wish you great happiness in YOUR Season.

Tommy, I am rolling on the floor laughing out loud! I am so terribly sorry for ruining your quiet week. Two weeks in a row. Hehe. Not! Bring it on, man - looking forward to see what you come up with. I am already enjoying much happiness, just hearing from you and Mike. :)

[I still don't think you mean Exit 1 - that's all the way south, Atlantic City or Cape May or something - that other New Jersey. And you were all the way northeast, no? Bergen County? I think you mean Turnpike 18E/W. :)]

(See ... we really do talk like that! Too funny.)

Wow, Wendy! You certainly don't do things by halves!

I immediately thought of one song and when I found the artist came from New Jersey, well; that was it - unless someone beats me to it, then I might think of something else. We'll see.

My daughter is taking me to see the Hobbit tomorrow so it'll be Monday before I can get on to it.

Meanwhile greetings from 40 miles north of old York (old Jersey is a lot further away across a bigger bit of water than the Hudson) 

Yeah, but you already knew that about me, didn't you? :)

If anybody from around there wants to do a song about "old Jersey" ... I think that might be fun too ... especially if you can find a way to tie it into the "new one". I forget that all these places we have here called "New Something" are all named for some place else back in the "old country".

One more thing: we are banishing "Second Person Syndrome" in this Season. If you are working on a song and someone else posts a video of that same song before you do ... bring it anyway! They will love it, we all will love it. Don't let being second make you blue. Just Do It.

New-Jersey-ness is all about being second to something. The "two biggest cities in New Jersey" are New York and Philadelphia ... and neither of them is actually in New Jersey - they are in New York state and Pennsylvania. The reason we are the most densely populated state in the US is because of our "secondariness" to those two cities.

I mentioned all that in my opening song (the post #1 video) ... I do hope some of you are listening to that - I'm quite proud of it!

Anyway, don't let Second Person Syndrome take you out! Multiple versions of the same song are fun.

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, Teaneck NJ, Bergen County, Vince Lombardy Rest Stop. Exit 1. My exit is my passport. I'm from New Jersey and proud of it. You don't have to be right to be from Jersey.

BTW Johnny Gorka is From NJ too!

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, Teaneck NJ, Bergen County, Vince Lombardy Rest Stop. Exit 1. My exit is my passport. I'm from New Jersey and proud of it. You don't have to be right to be from Jersey.

BTW Johnny Gorka is From NJ too!

John Gorka is not only from New Jersey, he's from the very town in which I live - Edison. So I sure hope we'll get some Gorka this week!

No Kidding? Tell John I said hi when you see him. Dave Frye says Hi too! I think I got John his first booking in Philadelphia at the Bothy Folk Club. John's a Real Sensitive New Age Guy.

Last edited:
Just saying. Naughty By Nature is from New Jersey...
Whole can of worms.
Gary?
Peewee?
Don't leave me to do this.

oh. wendy. david cassidy...
groupthud.gif

can we do partridge family songs? :uhoh:

oh gosh all the people on those lists

debbie harry

PATTI SMITH

:bowdown: queen latifah

frankie valli and the four seasons...