2. Making money from making ukulele is hard
  3. Expecting professional builder to help you for 'free' is audacious
  4. All the advice you need to build is had on this forum for free
  5. Google search 'ukulele plans' if you need a starting point
  6. Copying classic designs is a good idea
  7. Copying contemporary makers' work is at best plagiarism, in reality, theft
  8. You don't need a bunch of machine tools to make ukulele
  9. It's helpful to have some hand and eye skills and lots of patience
  10. A sharp plane, chisel, knife and some hand cut rasps are a great investment

Now I can say with a 99% certainty that there will be more to follow; I certainly hope so. Maybe then, this could be edited down by moderators and become a useful sticky. Happy New year everyone.

Last edited:
Thanks, Pete. I've been on this board for about a year now, and you've eloquently distilled the entire contents down to ten points. :)

Will be more than happy to edit and make it a sticky . . . let me/us know.

If you make this a sticky, please eliminate #3, which is Pete's personal opinion. In my experience, many of the professionals on this board have willingly and generously provided free advice. I wouldn't want to discourage anyone, especially novices, from asking questions.

Will be more than happy to edit and make it a sticky . . . let me/us know.

I could be wrong but I think Pete posted this list to stir up some conversation. I don't think he intended it to be the ultimate list since as you can see a couple of us already have different opinions on it. That being said I think it's a good place for a beginner to start but the beginner will soon come up with his own list.
For instance I don't own a single item listed in #10. (Unless a disposable Exacto knife qualifies.) I strongly agree and strongly disagree on several items of the list. I still think it's a fun discussion.

Last edited:
If you make this a sticky, please eliminate #3, which is Pete's personal opinion. In my experience, many of the professionals on this board have willingly and generously provided free advice. I wouldn't want to discourage anyone, especially novices, from asking questions.
I think in reading #3, you also have to look at #4, which puts "help" in 3d, and "advice" in the virtual realm.

I like the list, and I like Chuck's response as well. In Pete's build style, the list fits, and in this case, my be targeted at the noob.

Keeping in that vein:
#11 Finishing is a completely different skill set than building.
#12 Once you finish an instrument, the real work starts.

Last edited:
:confused: Not sure who this sticky would be "useful" to...
...seems better suited printed and framed, hung on the wall of some curmudgeon's workshop wall ;)

Well I think no 3 might be a bit sticky. Mind you I am not a professional builder, so I guess anyone asking for my help with banjo uke construction would not be considered "Audacious" ;)

Some kind of facial hair seem to help too :)

My addition:
If you hand someone one of your ukes and say, "What do you think?", please do so expecting an honest answer. I've been handed any number of less-than-stellar ukes, and always feel uncomfortable offering genuine advice.

#1 making a basic ukulele is not hard but a really nice detailed one with inlay work, cutaway, offset, kasha bracing, slothead , high gloss finish is harder :)
#8 you don't need much tools to build one , but the more quality tools you have the easier your build will be and less stressful.

If y'all can compromise and come up with collaborated info, this topic can be stickied in order to assist and provide to would be builders. If it is meant for discussion/debate, then I so kindly withdraw my offer.

There are basic, general agreements about building ukes but getting a conscensus on what they are will be difficult. I have spotted several things already said that are folly for the way I build but I can't say others wouldn't like those methods. Hell, can't even say wood makes the best uke without stepping on someones toes, some like plastic or graphite. Putiing a tenor neck on a soprano body is something I wouldn't do but some like it. The instrument known as a Ukulele comes in many forms and materials.

...or as Edgar Degas is often quoted to have said: "Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do."

It was on his deathbed that he reportedly added: "Damn, and just when I was starting to get it!"

Such is life.

1.Making ukulele is not hard Oh yes it is. (Unless you don’t mind making lousy ones.)
2.Making money from making ukulele is hard Oh no it’s not. But then you are busy marketing, with no time to actually build Ukuleles.
3.Expecting professional builder to help you for 'free' is audacious Sometimes even if it’s “not” for free.
4.All the advice you need to build is had on this forum for free True, but ineffective for us of the devout ADHD persuasion.
5.Google search 'ukulele plans' if you need a starting point That’s If you actually have the ability to decipher Ukulele plans
6.Copying classic designs is a good idea See #5
7.Copying contemporary makers' work is at best plagiarism, in reality, theft Nothing spells respect better than theft and plagiarism
8.You don't need a bunch of machine tools to make ukulele Yeah, but they sure look impressive. Isn’t that what we are really going for here?
9.It's helpful to have some hand and eye skills and lots of patience Maybe for Baseball, but not for making lousy quality ukes.
10.A sharp plane, chisel, knife and some hand cut rasps are a great investment Especially if your goal is to plagiarize; otherwise dull ones will do just fine.

Now, If only the Ukulele gods would spread magic dust on me so that I can actually wake up with the skills of a Pete Howlett .

Happy New Year everyone. May G-d grant us even a tenth of the talent of the great instrument makers.

Last edited:
7.Copying contemporary makers' work is at best plagiarism, in reality, theft Nothing spells respect better than theft and plagiarism
[/B]

If I may join in on the nit picking:

THat may mean respect to some, but doesn't change weather or not it is plagiarism or theft.

On the other hand, I don't know of a design of a ukulele that would be out of bounds if 4 strings are stretched between a nut on one end and a bridge on the other. By the stated standard anyone other than Rickenbacker who made an electric guitar prior to 1976 would fall into that category.

Did the chef who created the omelet plagiarize from the chef who made scrambled eggs ?

If I may join in on the nit picking:

THat may mean respect to some, but doesn't change weather or not it is plagiarism or theft.

On the other hand, I don't know of a design of a ukulele that would be out of bounds if 4 strings are stretched between a nut on one end and a bridge on the other. By the stated standard anyone other than Rickenbacker who made an electric guitar prior to 1976 would fall into that category.

Did the chef who created the omelet plagiarize from the chef who made scrambled eggs ?

If I may............................it is "whether" .........not "weather".

Top Bottom