Need Help with Fmaj7

Debby

Reaction score
Is there any tips or tricks to playing the Fmaj7 chord? I'm having a hard time with it.

Thanks in advance.

Hmm... the least tricky way to play Fmaj7 for me is the barré chord 5557. It's also a nice voicing.

The closest thing I can think of for an open chord is 2410. Not so comfortable, though. I use my pinky for that E-note at the fourth fret, but it'd take me plenty of practice to get comfortable switching to and from this position. Easier for me to finger an open F chord 2010 then add my pinky for 2410.

Have fun.

I don't know which fingering you are using - there are many ways to play that chord. What is giving you a hard time?

The easiest way - technically an FMaj7/C but usually works fine is on the 3d and 4th string press the fifth fret. That would be 5500.

5557 works well too, its pretty easy to barre but maybe not so easy if you are new to barre chords.

I very rarely use 2410 it is awkward. The only time I use it is when it works best in a transition.

Last edited:
Hmm... the least tricky way to play Fmaj7 for me is the barré chord 5557. It's also a nice voicing.

The closest thing I can think of for an open chord is 2410. Not so comfortable, though. I use my pinky for that E-note at the fourth fret, but it'd take me plenty of practice to get comfortable switching to and from this position. Easier for me to finger an open F chord 2010 then add my pinky for 2410.

Have fun.

Thank you! The final suggestion was the ticket for me! Sounds perfect in this song.

I must have led a rather more sheltered life than I'd realised ... best part of 50 years strumming a guitar and I cannot remember ever needing the equivalent guitar shape, which would be Cmaj7 !!

Anyhow, on a ukulele, with it's four strings, the 2410 can be easier than it first appears because you can "build it up" over a strum or two without ever playing any "wrong" notes. If you start with your second finger fretting the second fret of the fourth (G) string, then add the fourth fret of the third string with your little finger (keep strumming) then finally add the first fret of the second string with your index finger (remember to keep strumming) you've ended up with a "complete" Fmaj7 without ever having strummed any notes that aren't in Fmaj7 ... you can even get flash and get your third finger over to the third fret on the first string, ending up with 2413 ;)

As I'm prone to say in these situations ... YMMV :)

Yup . . . as mentioned above, 5500 works well.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to try them all. Initially, I had googled it and seen it listed as 2413. I can play it, but it is extremely uncomfortable.

All good recommendations.

One thing you may also consider is substituting F6 for FM7. Depending on the tune, it MAY be a good fit - especially in jazzier arrangements.

As far as fingering goes, the notes in F6 are the same as for Dm7, and you probably already play that one (2213 or 5555 work).

....Just an extra tidbit.

Thanks for the help folks! A lot of these suggestions work in the song I'm learning. The original fingering just hurt my hand too much.

As others have mentioned, 2413, 5500, and 5557 work. 2413 is maybe best in the first position, but getting to it is tricky. If you can find a finger in the previous chord in position to use as an anchor, it's more doable. I've changed chords leading up to the Fmaj7 in order to do just this.

I find working your way up to 2413 helps. Start with 2010 (F), add your ring finger for 2013 (F with a high C), and then add your pink (stretch!) for 2413. It'll take time and require a lot of patience, but I believe you can learn it barring any physical limitations (small hands, arthritis, etc.)

Top Bottom