UkeyDave

I have just heard that Dave died peacefully in his sleep from a previously undiagnosed heart condition, unlikely to have been connected to any other health issues he may have had.

The funeral service has been arranged for Monday 12th January at 2.30pm at:

Gilroes Crematorium
Groby Road
Leicester
LE3 9QG

Anyone who wishes to attend will be very welcome to do so.

Last edited:
My Goodness, I am just in absolute shock over this news of UkeyDave -- I just simply cannot believe it -- he always was so full of life! I am tremendously, deeply saddened by his loss! He was always so very kind, genuine, supportive, and such a fun, cheerful gentleman! I seem to remember that his father passed away not long ago, and that he felt comfortable enough with all of us to share his sorrow, here, on the forum. I sense that he truly cared for this forum and so many folks here as well. Sigh...I just still can't believe he's gone! Dave was one of the very first people to reach out to me here on UU; he always offered encouragement, support, and he was so darn creative, so talented, and he loved to share his uke fun with all of us. I miss him and I will miss his uke'ing and, may I add, the world is truly a less happy place without him here. :-( My heartfelt condolences to his family and friends!

I was shocked and very saddened to hear of our friend and fellow seasonista David's passing.
Early in my participation here at UU Dave reached out and asked to do a collab - he did all the work as that video mixing stuff is not my thing.
Rest Peacfully David.
So glad to have shared a song with you mate.

My thoughts are with his family at this sad time.

Really want to echo Alan's thoughts on this place we call The Seasons.
Each of you has a special place in my heart.
Sorry if that sounds corny but it is true.

Last edited:
Such sad news. I enjoyed interacting with him in private messages and in video comments. My thoughts, prayers and heartfelt condolences go out to his family and friends. I join Alan as he so poignantly posted, Love to you all! You are indeed a special group of people and I am glad to be a Seasonista.

I'll leave you with lyrics from my contribution to UkeyDave's Season 83 that brought some cherished tears today as we mourn the loss of a kindred musical soul.

Rest in Peace UkeyDave! You will be missed!

Oh the days dwindle down to a precious few, September, November.
And these few precious days I'll spend with you.

He had the unique strum. And he did those videos where he doubled himself. My favorite video trick he did was where he faded out at the end of his video by slowly walking away from the camera while continuing to play.

The will be a UkeyDave sized hole left in the Seasons.

I pray for the comfort of all his family and friends.

Oh my, oh my, as others I am quite shocked and saddened by this. My heart goes out to Dave's family! I only just found out that he was on Bandhub and I was jamming along to his unique pluck strum style. I remember when he was reluctant to join in for Puppet and Parodies week. Then really got into it and even ended up writing, if I remember correctly, his first ever song. Rest in peace UkeyDave. 🎸 You will be sorely missed ),:

Shock and disbelief and sadness ruled my thoughts as I learn this. My respects to a gentle man in every sense of the word and my thoughts are with his family and friends, us included. The suddenness just reminds me that we should not take tomorrow for granted and wring as much joy, friendship and love as humanly possible from each and every moment. Thank you all for helping me with that goal each and every day.

Godspeed Dave. Our little corner of the internet is diminished in no small measure by your passing.

thank you paul for letting us know

what a shock. i know he'd been ill but he was doing really well wasn't he?

i really can hardly believe it - can't take it in. he was such a great guy and he always made me laugh. just yesterday i was re-watching this vid he made for me, i'd done a pretty awful cover of cold cold heart for myrna's respect for the cold week, he took my rather rubbish take on the song and made it fabulous and fun and made me feel so much better about the whole thing! that just sums him up for me. so much fun, so generous with his time. what a great guy, god sure took one of the good ones

I am lost for words ,dumbfounded and saddened. Thanks Paul for letting us know, and love and wishes to Daves family. We have cherished memories of a fellow seasonista, i think next season should either be put aside for a week in respect or i think even better it should be a season to celebrate our pal the UkeyDave season, just a thought anyway love to you all and thanks for your friendhsip brothers and sisters xxx god bless ya ukeydave x
amen to all of that

and from the sign up to host thread...

Ralf, this is ukuleledaveey's idea for Ukey Dave, who passed away on Dec. 20.

How about making Season 152 be an unhosted tribute to him?
Do any song he played for any Season, or any song he made you want to learn. If you merely launch it and close it, it can be a rollicking, happy wake for Dave, with lots of conversation—stories and toasts—and an open mic. I think he'd really like that.
Some clever person might try copying his funny video-entry graphic.

ukuleledaveey will be our host for week 152 celebrating UkeyDave's life and music.

Terrible news. RIP brother. The week of 152 will be a precious one, never forgotten. You spread peace and love to all who crossed your path mate, and that is the greatest gift. We have all loved you and your passing will not change that.

You were the one I most wanted to stay.
But time could not be kept at bay.
The more it goes, the more it's gone,
The more it takes away.

Dave was a winner of my Season 114, We're in the Money.
Several people did this song, Price Tag, but I awarded it to Dave for his simple (and famous) strum, his pensive approach, and his whistling. Why is it so hard for me to watch this now?

Don't wait to tell people you admire them.

Like all of the other contributors to these pages I am shocked and saddened by the news of UkeyDave's passing. He was an enthusiastic contributor to the Seasons, and will be greatly missed for his variety of entry, and generosity to other Seasonistas.
My main memory of Dave occured during Alan's Season 100 "Magic and Loss" week. Somehow Dave and I were corresponding on the loss of a member of the Dave Clark Five, a band he and I both liked. I mentioned a favourite song of mine to Dave, of which hadn't heard, but, on hearing it, decided it would be his next entry. For me, this entry epitomised the infectious joy Dave bought to the seasons.

My thoughts also, are with Dave's family at this time. The Seasonistas have lost a family member, too

I never actually met Dave in life. I told him about the first GNUF but he was unable to come and though he went last year I was unable to go because of a prior booking so we missed twice.

I do remember the wonderful videos he did for War week showing members of his family who had fought in the two world wars.

Here is one of them.

ON THE PASSING OF A FRIEND

We awoke to desperate news
A life taken by time's merciless marching
I could not express my sadness in words
but in verse is a sanctuary
to reconcile the irreconcilable.

We shared a love of music and the ukulele
but his love of people put mine to shame.
His soft, open smile
warmed the hearths of many a hardened heart.
We have loved him
and the cold hands of time cannot prize that gift from us.

And this, the first day of a new fronteir?
The maps we had yesterday are altered,
for the light of death is musty and the horizon
of a new year is mere fiction now.

Yes, time will march on in spite of him.
And we will march on because of him,
in honour of him.
We will pick up our ukuleles and sing.

I wish that grieving were not a rite of passage,
but such is the baggage of our race.
For his family I wish courage,
and his extended family
of ukulele playing friends,
of which I am but one.

For what have we but courage?
Nothing else can profit us now.
So we play on in time
with time's restless beat
Sing a song to our friend in faith
that he can hear,
sated by our common fate
that we will all meet again in the middle of the air.

ON THE PASSING OF A FRIEND

We will pick up our ukuleles and sing.

I wish that grieving were not a rite of passage,
but such is the baggage of our race.
For his family I wish courage,
and his extended family
of ukulele playing friends,
of which I am but one.

For what have we but courage?
Nothing else can profit us now.
So we play on in time
with time's restless beat
Sing a song to our friend in faith
that he can hear,
sated by our common fate
that we will all meet again in the middle of the air.
Oh EugeneUkulele this poem brings comfort and cheers us in our sadness. What a beautiful tribute poem.

Aloha oe, Davey you are missed already, Rip man
I remember Dave reached out to me long ago and we chatted
From time to time, and written me every so often, we'd chat about
Ukes and everything, I felt I knew him even without meeting him in person
What a delightful man he was, he used to tell me he always wanted a
Vintage Martin and dreamed of one, one day.
I did not know he had health issues, my sincere condolences to his family and friends
A hui ho Davey... Aloha oe one of the biggest hearts on uu
This great loss really has me choked up :(

Last edited:
God Bless Dave and his family in this hard time. Losing a family member unexpectedly is very hard. Reading these posts shows me he has left quite a legacy.

Top Bottom