Fingerpicking

What is missing from the sample tab in my previous post?

I do agree that a tab with no timing shown is worse than useless, but I've not seen many of those. Tab has its limitations as does standard notation. They're both ways of recording something on paper. but neither of them are music. You can't listen to marks on paper. Someone has to play/sing it before it becomes music.

Most of my guitar, ukulele and mandolin students do learn standard notation, but most of my 5-string banjo students use tab, and those who don't simply record the lesson on their phone and learn from that. I have had some adult students who want to learn guitar or ukulele to accompany their singing and have requested tabs. I did accommodate them.

What's missing is key and time signatures and dynamics info and slurs etc. Your example does show timing, but it's just notes without any of the things that give music feeling. I will admit that it's better than most tabs that I've seen, but that's just it. Most tabs that I use are just notes, and one is on his/her own to figure out the rest.

But I guess it's just one of those "to each his own" thangs--tomato/tomahto--Ahhh, well . . . :eek:ld:

What's missing is key and time signatures and dynamics info and slurs etc. Your example does show timing, but it's just notes without any of the things that give music feeling.

Yes, but it DOES show where to put your fingers, which is something you don't get from standard notation. And it's easy enough to add "Key:G 4/4 90bpm" as simple text. But, the best of both worlds is to have standard notation above and tab below - then everyone wins. :)

Standard notation has all of the notes left to right for time and up and down for pitch. That is good for singing, or instruments where all of the notes are lined up in one linear line up from lowest to highest. For fretted stringed instruments, you have multiple parallel progressions of notes. If you only restrict your melody to one string, and you have enough frets, standard notation works fine. But if you also want to play chords in accompaniment, you have to hope to find a valid chord nearby that's playable and be ready to really jump up and down the fret board to follow the melody. Standard notation doesn't tell you that if you just moved over a string or two you'd find the note you're looking for without all that neck jumping.

Tab on the other hand helps visualize spreading melody notes across multiple strings. A good tab arrangement helps minimize unnecessary hand movements, and helps you map out the "stopping points" on the fretboard where you'll be moving your hand during the song, making your playing flow better. The limitation is of course that tabs are tired to a particular instrument and relative tuning. For any one particular song in sheet music there can be a dozen tab arrangements, all that play the exact same notes, but with varying degrees of playability.

Well, I guess by now the whole UU knows that I don't believe in or like tabs for my own use. I will continue to try to get comfortable with them for the reasons that I've previously stated, but I will no longer comment on the use of tabs or on tabs vs. standard notation. :deadhorse:

Those of you who like them, use them in good health. . :eek:ld:

Last edited:
I will no longer comment on the use of tabs or on tabs vs. standard notation.

Before we beat the horse to death, I'll give you one more thought. Here's my main reason for appreciating the option of tablature:

I learn most everything by ear. As I'm working out the fingering for a particular song, sometimes I lead myself into an area of the fretboard that is awkward to transition from or requires excessive position shifting. That's when peeking at a tab can shed some light on what I may be doing wrong, or at least sub-optimally. Standard notation would be of no help at all in this situation. I will mention that this is more of an issue with guitar - on ukulele, there just aren't as many places to get into trouble.

On the other hand, for a new piece that I've never heard before (and thus working out by ear is not an option), reading standard notation to get a good feel for the music is the best way to go. I can't just look at tab and "feel" the music unless I already have the tune in my head.

As a beginner, the thing I don't like about TAB is that when I use it I'm not even aware of the notes I'm playing. I feel like a very bad player piano, um, ukulele. I am appreciative when someone publishes both though.

I don't mind struggling thru the musical notation. I like it even though I will probably never "sight read" like an accompanist would. Not sure why I would ever need that particular skill.

In the original comment I mentioned THREE (I've forgotten how to underline again.) ways to fingerpick. My real choice, if possible, would be by ear. I can play my flutes by ear (and memory) pretty well, and I like it.

Remember when Kung Fu in his journeys would stop and rest, lean back against a handy rock or tree and play his gentle heart out to the birds? I ride my bike to a nearby park and do that with a fife or tin whistle--very relaxing, and I'd like to do it better with my Ukes.

I play scales, etc., a lot, and just push myself to fingerpick tunes that I know. What else? I dunno.

Do any of you play by ear a lot or play without music entirely?

Just curious . . . :eek:ld:

I mostly use tabs but can read standard notation as well. Not so great learning songs by ear... is that a skill one can develop, or is a ya-have-it-or-don't thing? My BF seems naturally able to learn music by ear with no formal training, it's uncanny. A born musician.

Since this is in the Beginners section, quick story... My 10-year-old brother is learning ukulele and I taught him to read tabs in 10 minutes. Within a week he's learned several beginner picking songs quite well just from the tabs and is excited to keep practicing them. It's such an approachable and straightforward way to learn a song, compared to standard notation. I do hope he learns to read music in the future, but I'm glad there are multiple ways to learn music so everyone can find something that works for their goals and interests. The more people playing music the better, I say.

Not so great learning songs by ear... is that a skill one can develop, or is a ya-have-it-or-don't thing?

Yes, it's a skill that can be developed. Nearly everything in music is that way. Some have more natural aptitude than others, but all that means is that the rest of us have to put in a little more time to get to the same level.

The only exception that I know of is Perfect Pitch - that is a skill that must be developed at an early age. If you don't develop it before your teenage years, you never will. Relative Pitch, on the other hand, can be learned at any age, and that's all you need in order to play by ear.

Top Bottom