Fill in Chords

Down Up Dick

Reaction score
I play lots of folk songs with just a few chords, and i'd like to add a few chords between changes.

Sooo, what is the relationship of chords to melody notes? If there's a four or five measure C-chord, and one wants to fill the space with a coupla C family chords. Where does he/she put them? I don't think one just sticks 'em in anywhere.

I hope I've made myself clear . . . :eek:ld:

HNY.This looks to be good Dick. Heres one for starters if I'm not playing out of F Keys. Say Key of C I will frequently play a C7 (0001) before an F Chord. When jamming I sorta natural noodle around and see if it works. Same thing goes for other one string 7th chords. A7 before a D when not Playing in D And so forth. sometimes I hit the chord sometimes just the note. Sometimes it works Sometimes it doesn't.

Sometimes you can add a single note between chords. For example when you play F (2010) add the high C on the first string so it's 2013. Or add the C to a G chord: 0233. Often these are pull-off notes.

Other times there are transitions between chords, so you go from C (0003) to A7 (0100) by doing: 0003 - 0002 - 0001 -0100. Or from G to G7: 0232 - 0222 - 0212.

This video may be helpful:http://www.playukulelebyear.com/3-questions-interview/3-questions-interviewa-j-leonard/

To expand on ichadwick's suggestion of alternative F chords: Since basic major and minor chords contain only three notes and the uke has four strings, one note gets played twice (either at the same pitch or an octave apart). So G can be played 0232 or 4232 (pinky on 4th string) and one can alternate between the two variations by raising and lowering the pinky finger. Similarly, A can be played 2100 or 2104.

Any note in the key can be temporarily added into a chord with little adverse effect. As long as you only change one note at a time and always come back to the original, you're not going to shift the tonality. Basically: add or remove a finger until you find something that sounds good and then do it again!

There are two situations: transition chords going from one main chord to another, and varying a main chord which goes on for a while.

Here are several simple tricks to vary the sound of a prolonged harmony:
  • Alternate between different voicings of the chord (moving it higher or lower on the neck).
  • Alternate between the regular chord and a "suspended" alternative: D - Dsus2 - D; or G7 - G7sus4 - G7. For 7th chords, alternating with 9ths works well, too.
  • Shift the entire chord up or down by one fret, then return: A7 (2434) - G#7 (1323) - A7. During singing, these shifts should be of brief duration (a beat or half-beat), or they'll clash too much harmonically.
  • For a major or minor triad, temporarily add a 6th or major 7th: D - D6; or C - CM7 - C
  • Switch temporarily to a new rhythm, particularly one broken with silences, or use a special strum technique like rasgueado or a triplet.
Remember that sus chords are neither major nor minor, and thus substitute for either major or minor chords: Dm - Dsus2 (2200) - Dm.

Transition chords are harder to generalize, since they depend so much on the bracketing chords and the playing style. But here are several common approaches (also used in turnarounds):

Follow the circle of fifths to the ending chord. To go from C to D, you can jump from C to the chord two steps beyond D (E) and follow the circle backwards to D: C - E(m)7 - A7 - D. You can make this more interesting with dominant alternatives like 9ths, b5s etc.: C - E9 (1222) - A9 (0102) - D6.

Step either the start or end chord shape chromatically up or down to the end chord. Sometimes I change chord shapes in the middle of this kind of chromatic progression, such as in this A7 to (higher) A7 transition:A7 (2434) - A#7 (3545) - [shape change] G#7 (5646) - A7 (6757). The interior change works especially well because the ear gets harmonically disoriented by the leading chromatic shift, but because the last two chords are so alike, the change in chord quality is masked—it seems to occur by magic!

Interpose an ambiguous chord, like dim7. These are like musical roundabouts: you can enter them from almost any direction, and come out in almost any direction. Ambiguous chords can also be chromatically shifted to good effect.

Use a single note to step up or down between the chords, either chromatically or diatonically. Most usually, one steps between the roots or lowest notes, but you can also step between the top notes of each chord or any other inner voices. Let instinct guide you here; you'll probably hear in your head what kind of stepping would work well in a given case.

Of course, in either situation (static chord or chord transition), you can drop in a short melodic riff. This simple expedient can greatly improve one's playing (I say, as someone who doesn't do it nearly enough).
A lot of really useful stuff there, thank you! I'm going to save that and study it......

I want to thank everyone for their helpful info. I'm gonna try to embellish a bit more, but I've been working on my strumming lately too. I think some new strums'll help perk up my songs maybe even more.

Onward and upward! :eek:ld:

Other times there are transitions between chords, so you go from C (0003) to A7 (0100) by doing: 0003 - 0002 - 0001 -0100. Or from G to G7: 0232 - 0222 - 0212.
Practical example Alabama Jubilee key of C, B part - the part everybody knows:0003 - 0002 - 0001 -0100 [A]...[D]...[G]...[C] Alabama Jamboree uses a ragtime chord progression I,VI,II,V. So in the example the first note, 0003 is a pick-up note and represents the I chord in the progression.- (I sort of misstated that. 0003 - 0002 - 0001 -0100 is really the first bar of the song not a pick-up note).

Any note in the key can be temporarily added into a chord with little adverse effect. As long as you only change one note at a time and always come back to the original, you're not going to shift the tonality. Basically: add or remove a finger until you find something that sounds good and then do it again!
If you add a note one fret above any note in a chord you have a suspended chord. [G] 0232; Gsus would be any of these (1232), (0332),( 0242),( 0233). Some sound better than others. ubulele will correct me if I got this half cocked.

In any case the way you can use the sus chords is for long passages that have a single chord or Single chord songs, Play with adding them in to avoid monotony. Example: Orange Blossom Special the A part is simply one long E chord - this is where you would throw in the Esus chords. The B part modulates into the key of A and actually has a little melody line.

Last edited:
Another way of getting from C to A, that sounds similar to ichadwick's suggestion is to move chromatically from C down to A. C-5433, B-4322, Bb-3211, A-2100. example - They're Red Hot
Even in a three chord song in F, you could move from C to Bb or Bb to C by putting one beat of B in between.
In C, you could move from F-2013 to G7-4535 or G7 to F by moving chromatically through F#7-3424.
These are all called "passing chords", since you're just using them to get from one place to another.
I will sometimes break up 4 beats of G7-4535 by putting a G9 (or Dm6)-4555 for the first two beats.

Ubulele has offered up a great post, chock full of good info.

The only small addition that I would make is a bit genre specific:

For those who may not know, the Circle of Fifths is also the Circle of Fourths, if you move around the circle in the opposite direction. This is useful in playing gospel music (or it's secular derivatives). The IV-I cadence is often referred to as the "amen cadence" because it gives that churchy "amen" sound.

If playing gospel or soul tunes you can arrive at your desired chord through a series of fourths. For example, to get to C, you play F then C... Or Bb then F then C. If you want it really gospel sounding, replace the major chords with extended dominant chords (7, 9, 11, 13).

Anyway, I hope that I was semi-clear in my explanation. Typing quickly on my phone is not conducive to coherent thought.

Thanks, Wicked, I like to play and sing Gospel music, though I'm not particularly religious in the regular sense. I like to play and whistle (or harp) blues too. I really like minor keyed music.

I still think Moses should be saying "Thou Shalt . . . ". :eek:ld:

Thanks, Wicked, I like to play and sing Gospel music, though I'm not particularly religious in the regular sense. I like to play and whistle (or harp) blues too. I really like minor keyed music.

I still think Moses should be saying "Thou Shalt . . . ". :eek:ld:

I am solidly agnostic, myself, but I love a good gospel tune. There are also a number of piano tunes that use the gospel progressions... Pretty much all Ray Charles, a good bit of Elton John too.

Last edited:
Wicked, I reeeeeaaaly like Ray Charles. He was just the greatest. Elton John's okay. I think I have one of his CDs. I like "Bennie and the Jets" and "Rocket Man" pretty good. I didn't list anything for Ray Charles because I like just about everything of his, that I ever heard.

"Georgia" is my favorite if I had to pick one. :eek:ld:

If you add a note one fret above any note in a chord you have a suspended chord. [G] 0232; Gsus would be any of these (1232), (0332),( 0242),( 0233).

I don't think this is correct. The last fingering you posted is Gsus4. In that fingering, the 3rd of the root (B) is suspended by a half note to C.

It's not one fret above any note. It's one fret above the 3rd.

I think Guido offers a nice hands-on description here http://ukuleleinthedark.com/ud42-sus-chords-got-a-spare-finger/

I don't think this is correct. The last fingering you posted is Gsus4. In that fingering, the 3rd of the root (B) is suspended by a half note to C.

It's not one fret above any note. It's one fret above the 3rd.

I think Guido offers a nice hands-on description here http://ukuleleinthedark.com/ud42-sus-chords-got-a-spare-finger/

Actually, that's not quite correct, either (but close). A suspended chord is when you replace the 3rd (major or minor) with a perfect 4th (up one or two frets) or a major 2nd (down one or two frets). Sometimes, you see the particular option specified as sus2 or sus4.

maj 3rd -> 4th = up one fret (sus4)
min 3rd -> 4th = up two frets (sus4)
maj 3rd -> 2nd = down 2 frets (sus2)
min 3rd -> 2nd = down 1 fret (sus2)

Last edited:
Actually, that's not quite correct, either (but close). A suspended chord is when you replace the 3rd (major or minor) with a perfect 4th (up one or two frets) or a major 2nd (down one or two frets). Sometimes, you see the particular option specified as sus2 or sus4.

maj 3rd -> 4th = up one fret (sus4)
min 3rd -> 4th = up two frets (sus4)
maj 3rd -> 2nd = down 2 frets (sus2)
min 3rd -> 2nd = down 1 fret (sus2)
Thanks for this Jim. explains a lot. Also thanks to Niwenomian for alerting me to my misconceptions.

Top Bottom